The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

View Poll Results: 3 Guitars - 3 Vids. Which one sounds best to you
Vid 1 18 34.62%
Vid 2 18 34.62%
Vid 3 13 25.00%
None 3 5.77%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-15-2018, 02:03 PM

I prefer #1 for what you were playing for the same reasons already stated by other folks.
Old 01-15-2018, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbroady View Post
Just for fun, based on the videos, which guitar pleases your senses the most, and why. Volume on the vids are not even so adjust as needed. Thanks for participating.

Edit, there is no doubt some possible variances due to mic placement and room dynamics. I believe this is most prevalent in the 3rd vid. And, even an inch or 2 in relation to guitar and mic(s) can make a difference. However, I would like opinions (with commentary if your so inclined), just for the fun of it.......

I found guitar 1 to sound stunningly beautiful for fingerstyle. Guitar 2 very close, but not quite as nice. I got the impression that guitar 2 would excel as a bluegrass guitar. It would be interesting to hear a comparison of the same guitars strummed heavily and flatpicked as well. Guitar 3 sounded nice, but too different from the other two. Since I like to play fingerstyle and bluegrass, go ahead and give me one of each [emoji12]. Very nice playing by the way.
Old 01-15-2018, 06:38 PM

1 for me all the way. Clarity, note separation, balance. A tad bright/harsh with the thumb pick but that could be new strings, mic placement or a million other things. Nice playing.
Taylor 814CE
Old 01-15-2018, 07:41 PM

I liked #2 the best as it was the most articulate and had that presence that just grabbed my attention. #2 was too warm for the music IMO though pleasant. #3 seemed to be blend of the 1 and 2. I find it interesting that so many liked #2 the best.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 01-15-2018, 09:52 PM

Number two had more wood and less glass, I think the type of song played would determine the winner between those two.
Old 01-15-2018, 10:27 PM
Charter Member

Definitely #1 for me, but #3 was a very close second.

Didn't care for #2 at all... entirely too warm sounding, and lacking the clarity and vibrancy I typically look for in a guitar.

Was #3 a Cedar topped guitar by chance ?

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 01-15-2018, 10:46 PM

I chose none simply because it might have something to do with the strings used.
Even so, I was left looking for and wanting a richer sound. 1 sounded more like a bluegrass tone, 2 sounded a bit muffled, 3 sounded less muffled but still lacked ring in places. Probably had more to do with the mic and strings combined.
Old 01-15-2018, 11:33 PM
Charter Member

I chose #2 because it sounded a bit bolder projection wise, but on my first time through I chose #1 and have a feeling if I were the player instead of the audience it would be #1. I’m curious which one is your favorite?

Oh, and #3 is no slouch! In fact, you proved what people have been telling me for a while. I need to play some Furch/Stonebridges, and I will:-) Local Austin shop and one of my favorite Bay Area shops carry Furch, so I got no excuse after your GAS inducing playing, which was nice!

martin D-28A '37 | D-18 | SCGC H13 | gibson SJ-200
taylor 814ce | 855 | GS Mini H.V. | goodall RP14 | Halcyon SJ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Old 01-15-2018, 11:55 PM

# 2, for me. More balanced tone without the quack from the other two instruments.
Old 01-16-2018, 12:02 AM

Without question I found #1 the most appealing guitar. It was clear, alive with midrange warmth and treble presence. #2 sounded sloggy and dull in comparison. #3 was, I thought, too hot on the mic, so hard to get a read on it with its dominant bass line.

That almost as many respondents preferred #2 to #1 was very interesting to me. Certainly helps explain honest differences of opinions about the sound of guitars, and is a bit of a warning flag for those asking for help from forum members in looking for a guitar.
Old 01-16-2018, 12:05 AM

None.Just none.
Old 01-16-2018, 05:09 AM

Talking and the winner should be .......

# 3 Clean highs, and good balance on the mids and bottom.
Old 01-16-2018, 05:28 AM

Put #1 but with so many variances between the vids it's not really a fair comparison.
Fender 'Nashville' Telecaster
Gordon Smith GS1.5
Old 01-16-2018, 09:59 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed-in-Ohio View Post
All three guitars sound great to me.

I voted for #1 in a three way photo finish because of its power, clarity and what I perceive as an expansive quality to the tone.

Oh, and great playing, BTW.

Yes, I found this assessment to be true for me as well.

Best,
Jayne
Old 01-16-2018, 11:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
I voted #2 as the best sounding guitar as played. After that I liked 3 then 1 last. If I were to play them then #1 might likely be my favorite. It seemed to be very bright and extremely resonant which when played with the thumb pick and (I assume) your nails (or finger picks) was overly loud and bright.
But as a fingerstyle player that plays with no picks or nails and just the meat of my fingertips, I think that #1 might sound really good for that type of playing. All three sounded like nice guitars. I'm assuming at some point you'll add what the tonewoods of each guitar is?
Vid 1) D25SR = Millennium Series: S for Sitka Spruce/R for Rosewood (EIR)
Vid 2) D33SR = Vintage Series: S for Sitka Spruce/R for Rosewood (EIR)
Vid 3) D23CR = Millennium Series: C for Cedar/R for Rosewood (EIR)
All guitars have tapered X bracing but I think (but not sure) that the D25SR has Adirondack bracing. If not this guitar, the option is available.
There are other differences between the Millennium series and the vintage services but they are mostly cosmetic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadfastly View Post
I found #1 and #2 close but #3 was quite different.
However, I chose "none" because of the singing; there was "none".
HA. That would have been nice to hear singer-songwriter stuff with each guitar. Depending on the voice each guitar could compliment or get in the way.
The player, contrary to what some thought, was not me. – See below post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeX View Post
I prefer #1 for what you were playing for the same reasons already stated by other folks.
Though I am more of a finger style player, the player is not me. This is Roger Schmidt, Director of Operations for Furch/Stonebridge. He is a world class finger player and the person who brought the Brand “across the pound. I have no connection to Furch/Stonebridge other than a Fan and my annual chat with Tod (The US Sales rep) about my yearly GAS 
Here is a link to Roger Playing a D35ASR. Music starts at the 2:15 mark. Sweet Guitar – Nice playing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4MJj6BfEec

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjroberts View Post
I chose #2 because it sounded a bit bolder projection wise, but on my first time through I chose #1 and have a feeling if I were the player instead of the audience it would be #1. I’m curious which one is your favorite?
Oh, and #3 is no slouch! In fact, you proved what people have been telling me for a while. I need to play some Furch/Stonebridges, and I will:-) Local Austin shop and one of my favorite Bay Area shops carry Furch, so I got no excuse after your GAS inducing playing, which was nice!
I have been a fan since around 2008. I am surprised they are not more popular. Does not mean I am not a fan of Martin, Tailor or any other well made guitar, but $ per $ Furch is the best deal around, IMHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrb715 View Post
Without question I found #1 the most appealing guitar. It was clear, alive with midrange warmth and treble presence. #2 sounded sloggy and dull in comparison. #3 was, I thought, too hot on the mic, so hard to get a read on it with its dominant bass line.
That almost as many respondents preferred #2 to #1 was very interesting to me. Certainly helps explain honest differences of opinions about the sound of guitars, and is a bit of a warning flag for those asking for help from forum members in looking for a guitar.
I enjoy and appreciate all the opinions put forth on the forum but they are only opinions and as the old cliché goes, it’s all subjective. Sometimes buying sight unseen is a risk but hearving a video is better then nothing. I have my Favorite but just wanted to see how others react to the 3 Vids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Carr View Post
I found guitar 1 to sound stunningly beautiful for fingerstyle. Guitar 2 very close, but not quite as nice. I got the impression that guitar 2 would excel as a bluegrass guitar. It would be interesting to hear a comparison of the same guitars strummed heavily and flatpicked as well. Guitar 3 sounded nice, but too different from the other two. Since I like to play fingerstyle and bluegrass, go ahead and give me one of each [emoji12]. Very nice playing by the way.
That would be sweet, one of each please. I would also like one each of the Martin standard Series (2018), a few Taylors, and perhaps a few Custom builds. But for Now I have my eye on one of the 3 guitars in the vids.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat

Last edited by Mbroady; 01-16-2018 at 01:38 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion