The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 11-25-2017, 05:58 AM

Question Grover rotomatics for a Ping equipped Taylor 214

Hi,
I'd like to know if someone has already upgraded a taylor (100 or 200 series) with Grover rotomatic. My 214 is equipped with what I think it's a Ping-Well PT 119 (which by the way works just fine but they are so cheap-looking...) and I'd like to replace the with Grover Milk Bottle style or the 102 original tuners.
I'm afraid that Rotomatics (especially the milk bottle) would leave some holes exposed in the back of the headstock . It is possible not to use the grover's mounting side screws to keep the guitar completely reversible to its factory set?
thank you

p.s. I know there already are some threads about the topic but most of them related to Gotoh tuners.
Old 11-25-2017, 09:13 AM

Default possibilities

A real-live luthier could help, here. If the tuners on the Taylor are not marked 'Taylor' on the back, swapping them for ones so marked may well offer OP the upgrade he wants and be easier to install. But I have no idea as to whether the Mexican Taylors use tuners of lesser quality, or tuners whose only difference from the originals is the branding.

Another question for OP is whether in fact the tuner swap to Grover Rotomatics would in fact be an upgrade. The answer to this, too, requires experience.
Old 11-27-2017, 07:26 PM

Looking at the Ping-Well specs - that should be an easy swap to Grover Rotomatics.

The Pings use a 10.0mm hole - same as the Grovers.

You will need to drill a hole for the 6 o'clock positioning screw on the Grovers.

The Pings are 14:1 ratio so 18:1 Grovers would be an improvement.

Other tuners with the same Rotomatic footprint are Gotoh TK-7740-010 also 18:1 - pictured below - these would be my choice.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 11-27-2017, 08:47 PM

I know it's generally accepted that 18:1 is a better ratio than 14:1. However I do a lot of drop D, double drop D. Open G etc so I'm spinning those tuners a fair bit. I prefer 14:1(less turns) for this.
So is the only reason 18:1 is considered "better" is because it's easier to get more precise?
Sorry to hijack your thread I've just wondered about this
Old 11-27-2017, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny.guitar View Post
I know it's generally accepted that 18:1 is a better ratio than 14:1. However I do a lot of drop D, double drop D. Open G etc so I'm spinning those tuners a fair bit. I prefer 14:1(less turns) for this.
So is the only reason 18:1 is considered "better" is because it's easier to get more precise?
Sorry to hijack your thread I've just wondered about this
I think you would still be comfortable with 18:1 - that's not a big jump from 14:1 and yes, they are more accurate but still very 'user-friendly'.

I haven't tried Gotoh 21:1 ratio tuners.

Have you seen GraphTech tuners with a different ratio for each string?

Predictable, Precise Tuning, Retuning and Open Tunings.

Ratio® tuning feels natural. You don't have to think about which string you are tuning because they all feel and respond the same. No more overshooting the Low E or G. No more twisting away on the High E or D string. Open tunings have never been easier. String gauges such as light top, heavy bottom are no problem with Ratio®; they still do the same precision tuning.

http://www.graphtech.com/products/brands/ratio

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird

Last edited by Brucebubs; 11-27-2017 at 09:37 PM.
Old 11-27-2017, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
I think you would still be comfortable with 18:1 - that's not a big jump from 14:1 and yes, they are more accurate but still very 'user-friendly'.

I haven't tried Gotoh 21:1 ratio tuners.

Have you seen GraphTech tuners with a different ratio for each string?

Predictable, Precise Tuning, Retuning and Open Tunings.

Ratio[emoji768] tuning feels natural. You don't have to think about which string you are tuning because they all feel and respond the same. No more overshooting the Low E or G. No more twisting away on the High E or D string. Open tunings have never been easier. String gauges such as light top, heavy bottom are no problem with Ratio[emoji768]; they still do the same precision tuning.

http://www.graphtech.com/products/brands/ratio

Now that's a great idea. I'll have to look into them

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair