The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 03-11-2017, 02:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirwa View Post
Some serious compensation happening now down at the bridge, with the original saddle slot, new compensated saddle, how does the open string and the fretted 12th sound on each string.

Steve
Thanks, I believe the tone is enhanced in a dimensional sense. The best way I can explain is to compare it to a 1959 LG-1 I owned and my 1979 Martin D-35. Before the mod, the J-160e leaned toward the LG-1. I describe that as boxy, 2 dimensional. Decent projection, but sustain would fall quickly. After the mod, the J-160e now leans toward to D-35, without the prevalent boom. The D-35 has a more spatial dimension - greater depth, louder projection, woody resonance. But all of those characteristics were improved with the mod.

The P90 does a fine job replicating the acoustic value. I don't have a dedicated acoustic amp. I play through an LR Baggs DI into the clean channel of a Mesa TA15 with a 210 vert cab. I don't gig, so I can't vouch for its 'concert level' performance.

Bear in mind in my opinion the J-160e is no Martin, but the dimension of tone and particularly sustain reaped substantial reward. The guitar certainly has a place in my musical sensibility. Heavy right hand strumming, single note blues riffs, and arpeggios respond quite nicely.
1976 Gibson SG Standard
1997 Gibson ES-175AN
2022 Tidewater Handsome Outlaw
Old 03-12-2017, 10:45 AM

Very cool that the old parts can be re-installed to return the instrument to its original state.

In a case where the bridge is being replaced, I recommend removing and plugging the threaded brass inserts. This, along with the addition of a bone or ivory saddle makes for a substantial improvement in tone.

Last edited by Hot Vibrato; 03-12-2017 at 11:06 AM. Reason: stupid photobucket won't show my pic
Old 11-22-2017, 04:32 AM

Let's rekindle this thread. Probably I'm trying to do the opposite thing compared to many of you. I'd like to restore an old Gibson adjustable saddle to its original condition (I don't care too much about the acoustic quality as the guitar is a J160e). The replacement saddle pieces are easily available online in bone, rosewood and tusq. But I don't manage to find replacement screws or the brass inserts. I.e. at a reasonable price. I found this Japanese dealer who reproduces the hardware but at a prohibited price https://www.gbase.com/gear/madura-gu...ustable-chrome.
Any leads to where I could find suitable similar screws and inserts?

Regards,

Tom.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair