The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-17-2016, 12:16 PM
Guest 33123

Default changing an Element out for an Anthem?

Hi guys,

I'm considering changing out the stock L.R. Baggs Element in my J-45 for an Anthem. Has anyone gone this route? Did you feel the sound improved? I'm not super happy with the quack on the Element even through my PADI.
Old 11-17-2016, 12:54 PM

Hi, Doug.

I replaced the Element in my J-45 with an Anthem SL.
Did it myself and it was pretty easy.
You do need to be a bit careful not to over-bend the actual UST, of course.
And you have to get it in the bridge slot really flat and full width.
But I didn't have to drill any new holes whatsoever.

I went for the SL because I thought the Element sounded boomy.
The Anthem cured that and sounds very good.
Setting the (UST vs. Tru-Mic) balance control was pretty touchy and
took some time to get right. But once set I've pretty much just left
it alone. Not something you need to fuss with all the time.

A guitar tech could easily do the switch for you if you'd rather.
I'd say the switch was well worth it.

_Roger
Old 11-18-2016, 08:30 AM
Charter Member

I think you'd notice a significant improvement. The mic does the heavy lifting on the Anthem and as Roger mentioned, as long as you spend time dialing in the mic blend setting, I think you'd prefer the Anthem sound.
Old 11-18-2016, 08:53 AM
Guest 33123

Thanks guys. I spent some time last night listening to Doug Young's audio comparison of pickup systems. The Anthem sounded really great especially compared to the Element. I've read all of the reviews online that I could find too. I think I'm going to go for it.
Old 11-18-2016, 09:35 AM

I have tried the opposite, I had Lr Baggs Anthem and switched to Elements, I think it is more defined sound of Elements in both bass and especially on the hightlights, and to me it seems as if there is much more sound in Elements. I know many disagree but this is my belief, and I believe Anthem is overrated? ..
I've tried this between several guitars a / b test but as I say this is my belief,
perhaps elements have little pezio sound but turn down the volume on it so it sounds much less pezio... :-) sorry for my bad english :-(
Old 11-18-2016, 01:38 PM

Good luck, Doug. Hope you like it.

It should be no problem to undo if you don't like the Anthem.
And it's only money, right? :-)

_Roger
Old 11-30-2016, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Fenderman View Post
I have tried the opposite, I had Lr Baggs Anthem and switched to Elements, I think it is more defined sound of Elements in both bass and especially on the hightlights, and to me it seems as if there is much more sound in Elements. I know many disagree but this is my belief, and I believe Anthem is overrated? ..
I've tried this between several guitars a / b test but as I say this is my belief,
perhaps elements have little pezio sound but turn down the volume on it so it sounds much less pezio... :-) sorry for my bad english :-(
Some folks prefer the piezo sound and it is unique, but it also is not the guitars natural tone. You just can't get that piezo out of it altogether unless you buy an EQ designed to tame it. Personally, I don't care for that sound at all. The Anthem and the Anthem SL are not "overrated", just not for you obviously.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 12-14-2016, 08:26 PM

It will be like night and day, you won't regret it. Get the SL version... unless you are real picky or a Pro.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
'13 Jaffrey #26 - Malaysian Blackwood!
'21 Gretsch 5622
'22 Furch Red Pure G-LR - Barbera Soloist
ST-300 Mini + DIY mic preamp
Old 12-17-2016, 11:52 AM
Guest 33123

I am really picky! . Looking to get the Anthem installed in the new year. Thanks for all of the advice guys.
Old 12-17-2016, 08:57 PM

Give some serious thought to the Anthem SL. Especially if you tend to play in the similar environments all the time and don't need to constantly blend betwen the two sources. The SL is a fixed blend but it tends to have more bass than the full Anthem. It's a great sounding pickup and $100 cheaper. It will be a SUPER easy swap on your guitar since you already have the element. You could totally do it yourself.
Old 12-18-2016, 04:39 AM

Hi , give us a honest feedback when you replace elements of anthem, it will be interesting to hear your opinion :-)
Old 12-19-2016, 07:09 AM

I have the SL on my small body Gibson LG-2 3/4, replacing a Lyric that I really disliked. I like the Anthem SL, but would prefer to have more control over the mic/UST blend, in different performance situations. I have a similar pickup by Fishman, in my D-18. The Fishman Ellipse Blend. I do appreciate the ability to adjust the mic/UST blend on that guitar. I would spring for the Anthem. My small Gibson did not have room for the larger control unit of the full sized Anthem.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification