The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 04-15-2016, 01:19 PM

Default Case options for Gold Tone mandola?

I'm happy to say that I've finally found a mandolin I can play and enjoy and, lo and behold, it's actually a mandola.

I found a great local deal on an as-new Gold Tone mandola but it didn't include a case or gig bag (I always wonder whether people keep the shipping boxes and say to themselves, "Well, this is just fine."). The mandola has a 17.13" scale with a 1.25" nut width and is just shy of 30" total length. It won't fit most A-style mandolin cases...any suggestions for a decent gig bag or hard case would be greatly appreciated.

Note that I know that Banjo.com has the Gold Tone branded hard case for this but, unfortunately, they want 1.5x the cost of the case to ship it to me here in Nova Scotia. Together with the 30%+ exchange rate and shipping, that $50 case would cost me $155 CDN, making the case prohibitively expensive.

Thanks,

Phil

I play Crosby, Emerald, Larrivée, Lowden, Rainsong & Tacoma guitars.
Check out my Guitar Website. See guitar photos & info at my Guitars page.
Old 04-25-2016, 08:59 AM

Hi Phil,
I use a Rockbag by Warwick mandola gigbag for my old Gibson A-style mandola. I got it years ago and don't remember the price or where I picked it up. You might also look at a tenor banjo gigbag, the dimensions may work but I'd make sure you can return it if they don't.
Regards,
Ed
Old 04-27-2016, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marioed View Post
I use a Rockbag by Warwick mandola gigbag for my old Gibson A-style mandola. I got it years ago and don't remember the price or where I picked it up. You might also look at a tenor banjo gigbag, the dimensions may work but I'd make sure you can return it if they don't.
Thanks, Ed. Unfortunately, there are no Canadian distributors for this bag and importing one from the UK would cost just as much as getting the hard case from the US. I may just have to "bite the bullet" and order the hard case but, man, I hate paying more for shipping than the cost of the item I'm buying!!!

Phil

I play Crosby, Emerald, Larrivée, Lowden, Rainsong & Tacoma guitars.
Check out my Guitar Website. See guitar photos & info at my Guitars page.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments