The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-18-2018, 12:32 AM

Default Thalia Capos?

Curious about these capos. Cruising YouTube they seem to be doing a lot of marketing recently. I have used Shubb and G7th now for last couple of years and would like to know from others if Thalia is a step up (mostly from intonation/ease of use)?
Old 03-18-2018, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riles View Post
Curious about these capos. Cruising YouTube they seem to be doing a lot of marketing recently. I have used Shubb and G7th now for last couple of years and would like to know from others if Thalia is a step up (mostly from intonation/ease of use)?

I bought one recently after a friend recommended them. I like mine, it looks great and does the job. The different pads makes matching fretboard shapes and sizes easy though I have had great results with the one that was fitted.

If I have any issue it is that it takes quite a squeeze to remove it or put it on. I have a first gen G7th which looks great but isn’t quite the miracle I thought it would be. I also use Shubb which are my favourite and have been for years.
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 03-18-2018, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Have you thought about using the search function? There are a lot of threads re: Thalia already in existence.
Dazzo 70's & SunnAudio Stage DI
Old 03-18-2018, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
Have you thought about using the search function? There are a lot of threads re: Thalia already in existence.
Exactly. If there's any search term that will yield plentiful, relevant results, it's "thalia."

My view? I have a beautiful rosewood and chrome one. Want it? I never use it. Too heavy, too bulky.
Old 03-18-2018, 07:01 AM

My only two gripes - parking it, and it takes a minute to get out of the jewel case. I don't like parking it above the nut as it makes some strings go sharp. I now park it on the collar of my mic stand. A musician friend of mine borrowed my guitar and couldn't figure out how to get the Thalia out of the case.
Old 03-18-2018, 07:30 AM

Definitely read old threads. This has been discussed in depth before and you should get some good perspectives from them.
Preston Thompson: O Koa
Old 03-18-2018, 10:26 AM

Quote:
When items are so much more than the competition, a lot of marketing is needed if you want to sell a lot of them.
Old 03-18-2018, 10:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
they seem to be doing a lot of marketing recently.
Which is reflected in the price.
Old 03-18-2018, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
What he said:

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...ht=thalia+capo
Old 03-18-2018, 03:18 PM
Charter Member

I bought one about a month ago and I don’t care for it. It’s expensive and awkward to put on and remove due to tension and it’s large enough it interferes with my fretting hand.
Old 03-18-2018, 03:57 PM

a friend has one,
without doubt they are beautifully made and look good but when I tried it, just couldn't get on with it, far too bulky and you do notice the extra weight on the neck. Guess I'm use to Shubbs.

I have a lot of respect for Thalia and any company who thinks outside the box finding new way to do things, wanted to like, but its just too big. Maybe someday, they will come up with a slimmer lighter design. Looking at it from my engineering background, I see no reason it couldn't
Old 03-18-2018, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moocheng View Post
a friend has one,
without doubt they are beautifully made and look good but when I tried it, just couldn't get on with it, far too bulky and you do notice the extra weight on the neck. Guess I'm use to Shubbs.

I have a lot of respect for Thalia and any company who thinks outside the box finding new way to do things, wanted to like, but its just too big. Maybe someday, they will come up with a slimmer lighter design. Looking at it from my engineering background, I see no reason it couldn't
I think you are missing the point. They are made that way for their looks as much as they are for their function. A slimmer design would lose the visual appeal.

I own five and don't find them heavy at all. Very easy to go up and down the neck. I do agree they are a bit difficult to take on and off--that's why I bought five and leave each one just above the neck when not in use.

However, everyone has their preference and there are plenty of capos to choose from if Thalia's don't float your boat.
Old 03-19-2018, 09:39 AM

It might work on your guitar but no matter what insert I use it buzzes on most of my guitars, especially on fret 1.
Old 03-19-2018, 10:20 AM

I see you (the OP) have a 12 string. I bought 2 Thalias for my 12 string. One regular tension, the other with increased tension. Neither of them worked (like not at all) and both were returned.

They have excellent support at Thalia and they make a sharp-looking capo. On the downside, they are expensive, heavy and awkward. Can’t speak of usefulness on 6 string, though.
Old 03-19-2018, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Grenier View Post
I see you (the OP) have a 12 string. I bought 2 Thalias for my 12 string. One regular tension, the other with increased tension. Neither of them worked (like not at all) and both were returned.

They have excellent support at Thalia and they make a sharp-looking capo. On the downside, they are expensive, heavy and awkward. Can’t speak of usefulness on 6 string, though.
For 12 strings you need the extra large insert pads. Works great on my Taylor 12- string. I don't find them heavy (sheesh, its not like they are more than a few ounces) or awkward at all.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion