The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-15-2018, 02:05 PM
Charter Member

Location: Stationary home in NJ. Mobile home on any given highway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickee View Post
What guitar did you purchase? There are many Epiphone guitars with a Masterbilt designation.
That's what I was about to ask.
Old 03-15-2018, 03:11 PM

Other than an Elitist or one of the rare Bozeman-made versions, the Masterbilts are about as good as it gets with Epiphones. I have been particularly impressed with the new line of archtops. If I did not already own an early 1950s Triumph Regent I would probably have jumped on one.
Old 03-15-2018, 04:12 PM

I've played one or two that sounded outstanding, some that were about on par for the price point. But those good ones punch way above their weight class.
Old 03-15-2018, 04:45 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12fretter View Post
I have a 2006 AJ500 M that I will never get rid of....Great guitar,reminds me of a Gibson J45 I once had.
OP, you didn't mention which model. They gutted the line a few years back and took out the best models. The AJ-500M, mentioned above, is the best one. I own three.

scott memmer
Old 03-15-2018, 07:22 PM

I have only played one, and it was not that great. I liked Eastman and Guild better in that price range.

But it is heartening to hear there are good ones out there, as a good one would be tremendous bang for the buck.
Old 03-15-2018, 08:09 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwmct View Post
I have only played one, and it was not that great. I liked Eastman and Guild better in that price range.

But it is heartening to hear there are good ones out there, as a good one would be tremendous bang for the buck.
Again, the new ones are very, very mediocre. The slope dreads they discontinued are almost universally acclaimed as their best models. You can pick up a good clean used one for about $350-400.

scott memmer
Old 03-16-2018, 12:42 PM
Charter Member

I have owned two of the older Masterbilt dreads and presently own one of the newer Masterbilt archtops. They can be very good guitars for the money for sure. I like my Epi Masterbilt archtop quite a lot.

Last edited by BoneDigger; 03-16-2018 at 12:50 PM.
Old 03-16-2018, 01:48 PM
AGF Sponsor

Here's me with one of my Epi AJ-500Ms. I hate pickups, so when playing solo I always run SM-58 or something out front and blend as much of the mic and as little of the pickup (in this case, a B-Band) as possible.

Not bad for a $400 guitar.

scott memmer
Old 03-16-2018, 02:19 PM

I also have a 2006 AJ500 satin finish mahogany that I will probably never part with. It has a warm tone that I have found in very few other guitars. I have a few other slope shoulder dreds but I come back the the Epi time and time again. I agree they are heavy and maybe a little overbuilt but it doesn't bother me. I also like the slightly bigger neck and the flat spot on the neck right behind the fretboard binding. I'm sure there is a name for this neck shape that I'm not aware of, I just know I like it. I searched for months on Ebay for one in good shape that was not a factory 2nd. Finally found one I liked and snagged it for $300 shipped! Best guitar purchase I've ever made!
Taylor 214ce DLX (Sunburst)
Old 03-18-2018, 11:13 AM

I have 2 Masterbilts that are very fine guitars. They compare very favorably to other guitars as to looks, sound and construction quality.
Old 03-18-2018, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDigger View Post
I have owned two of the older Masterbilt dreads and presently own one of the newer Masterbilt archtops. They can be very good guitars for the money for sure. I like my Epi Masterbilt archtop quite a lot.
Which archtop did you go with? I've had my eyes on the Century series for a while now but can't decide between them

J-45 song of the day archive
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis..._Zmxz51NAwG1UJ

My music
https://soundcloud.com/waynedeats76
https://www.facebook.com/waynedeatsmusic

My guitars
Gibson, Martin, Blueridge, Alvarez, Takamine
Old 03-18-2018, 12:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmz76 View Post
Which archtop did you go with? I've had my eyes on the Century series for a while now but can't decide between them
I have the Masterbilt Century De Luxe Classic, F hole, sunburst. I like mine quite a lot. There are many archtop players who don't like these because they don't sound 100% like classic archtop. In fact, they have a tone somewhere between archtop and flat top guitars. It fits my needs perfectly. I don't play jazz, mostly Americana type music, and this guitar fits in perfectly. But... I have heard there can be inconsistencies between them and some apparently sound better than others. Mine is setup perfectly and sounds great.
Old 03-18-2018, 01:51 PM
Charter Member

I have the Masterbilt Olympic in honey burst and like it a lot. I had my shop I go to install in the pickguard when I had the setup done.
Old 03-18-2018, 03:14 PM

I bought one for my son. He’s a lefty and hasn’t started playing yet. It’s been a year but he says he will next year (school band). It’s a good guitar with a good rep with one thing I’ve heard - they at some point were not applying glue to the full shape of the bridge on raw wood so some were lifting. I figure not a big deal. I’d like to fix it if it ever lifts. Never done it but looks doable.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion