The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 03-12-2018, 04:53 PM
Charter Member

Default NGD: Journey Overhead OF660B - with week-long, real-time travel

I wasn't going to even do a NGD for this guitar. Why? Well, this is my second one of these wonderful little guitars and I did a decent video NGD review with the last one. And while there's a few minor changes (slight shifted soundhole, different color) it's pretty much the same guitar. So why re-invent the wheel, right? I bought the first one used here on AGF and got a smoking deal on it. But then I realized that I just don't travel that much but kept it anyway so I'd have a CF guitar. I have a buddy that does travel a lot and I'd loaned it to him for a few trips and he begged me to sell it to him so I did since I was getting (and now have) an Emerald X20 custom, so my CF guitar needs are met.

But then a strange thing happened: Our 'travel guy' at work up and quit. As the next most senior guy in the department, guess who now get's to travel the country by plane and audit? Yep, this guy! The first trip was just three days and not only did I miss playing guitar but I swear that by the time I got home my fingertip calluses had degraded significantly! And since I frequently arrive home to a weekend gig (also something relatively new), I can't be having that! Or, at least that's what I told myself (and the wife) when I ordered a brand new Journey Overhead OF660B (blue) carbon fiber guitar!

I had to make the deal quickly because I had a week-long audit coming up that was going to take me from the east coast (New Hampshire) to the west coast (Orange/Santa Ana) and then to Wisconsin and finally back home. I got the guitar and as expected it was pretty much exactly as I'd remembered in both tone and feel. Maybe a little louder with the new sound hole placement but that might just be wishful thinking. I wanted the orange since it sort of looks like a wood top guitar but ended with my second choice, the blue, which is the most popular color by far. It looks great in person.

Then I started to worry about taking the guitar on the trip due to the logistics, especially because this was going to be my first trip alone. I hate checking luggage and prefer to have everything on the plane with me. I also really like to travel light. So I was struggling with how best to take my small suitcase, briefcase for the work stuff AND the OF660B. Then it hit me: I CAN USE THE OF660B AS MY SUITCASE! Bear with me, this will totally make sense in a minute. As those of you that have seen these in person (or watched video's online) know, the OF660 comes in a brilliant backpack type case that holds the guitar in its broken down state AND has some nifty pocket space. There is a large zippered pocket on the front that is big enough to fit (and actually built specifically for) a laptop computer. You can also put in a couple note pads. There's a small zippered pocket that I put a guitar strap, capo and three different charging cords.

But wait, order by midnight and you'll get even more! On the inside where the guitar body sits, there is a little space on either side of the guitar PLUS a decent bit of room up top! I was able to put two pairs of socks, two pairs of underwear and two T-shirts in these areas. It did not make the case any bigger and in fact only serves to further pad the guitar although the case is so good it's really not needed. So that just left my leather brief case to hold a spare pair of pants, two shirts, swim trunks, headphones (Bose, full cup, sound canceling), and a clear bag of toiletries. That was a little tight. Then I had another epiphany! If I rolled up the shirts tight and placed them in plastic ziploc bags I might be able to actually gently stuff them INTO the body cavity of the guitar! It worked perfectly. Now there is plenty of room in the briefcase for the remainder plus more. I'll admit, I was a little worried that the TSA might see those rolled up shirts in plastic bags stuffed in a guitar body and I'd getting a free cavity search looking for drugs but nope, they didn't beat an eyelash.

So while people with small suitcases with wheels (like I usually carry) were having to gate-check their luggage the Journey was allowed on and in the overhead of the smaller plane on the first leg with no questions asked and of course even less of an issue on the second, longer leg/larger plane. Now here I am, sitting in my hotel room in Orange, CA with several hours to kill before bedtime and instead of just surfing mindlessly on the internet or watching the idiot box, I've put the guitar together, tuned it up and I'm going to practice for a couple hours until dinner! SWEET!

Since this is only day one and the first leg of this trip (albeit the longest and most challenging one) I figured I'd make this a week-long NGD and chime in daily with how the trip is going, see if I encounter any issues that I did not foresee. Also it might give readers a chance to ask questions I had not thought of as well. But so far, it's going down just as I'd envisioned. So far the only negative is that you lose the nice easy wheeling of the suitcase (I own a really nice one with great wheels). But even a nice one with great wheels can be a PITA sometime. Sure, I have to schlep the heavier case (with all the extra stuff in it) on my back but I figure it's good exercise.

Here's some photos (coming shortly).

Last edited by Acousticado; 03-15-2018 at 07:53 PM.
Old 03-12-2018, 05:06 PM
Charter Member

Packing the case, winging to the west coast at sunrise, guitar in the hotel!

Old 03-12-2018, 05:29 PM

Cool... when I took an old school X-7 to Hawaii a few years ago I did the same thing... the soft backpack case looks like a tennis racket case... I stuffed every thing I could around and in the guitar. A few pair of socks and undies in plastic bags (especially on return trip). worked well... so just that and a laptop... nice. We just went to a second hand store and got me a Kauai Golf Club shirt for a couple bucks and wardrobe was complete enough.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 03-12-2018, 05:44 PM

Awesome story. That's what guitar travel should be like - fully TSA compliant, no stress, no worries.

What is the sound/tone like, especially in hotel? Too loud, or did the volume work well with the hotel environment?
Old 03-12-2018, 06:30 PM
Guest 928

Very nice narrative; thank you..........
Old 03-12-2018, 06:47 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Great read. Thanks for sharing.
Old 03-12-2018, 07:24 PM

Got my Of660 about a little over a week ago. I was very impressed with not only the guitar, but the extremely well thought out backpack. Congratulations on well executed packing.
Old 03-12-2018, 08:09 PM

Great story! And a new way to interpret my hotel neighbor’s plea to “stuff a sock in it”. Looking forward to the rest of your week.
Old 03-13-2018, 07:42 AM

I am wondering about the volume for the hotel environment as well? I hope to hear more!

Thanks for documenting
Old 03-13-2018, 08:29 AM

We appreciate the ongoing report, Methos.

It reminded me of the first time we came home from Aloha Music Camp on Molokai. One always accumulates souvenirs on a trip like that, and the suitcases were over-stuffed. But then I realized that I was carrying home an empty wooden box (aka Seagull S6) and stuffed it with clothes and other soft goods. The flower leis that my wife made in classes traveled home inside a ukulele, both protecting them and maintaining humidity for both.
Old 03-13-2018, 05:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBG View Post
I am wondering about the volume for the hotel environment as well? I hope to hear more!

Thanks for documenting
I could have sworn I replied to the earlier question about hotel volume/tone. The volume of the OF660 is perfect for a hotel. At least it is for the way I play - fingerstyle with the meat of my fingertips (no nails). I'm sure strumming would be louder and might annoy a quiet neighbor but I played late into the evening last night and this morning and I doubt anyone in the adjacent rooms could hear it.

Speaking of that, day two and I'm so glad I brought the guitar. I've had some down time here and there and it's been really nice to be able to pick up my guitar and play instead of just watching the boob tube or wandering around aimlessly and eating. Off tomorrow on the next leg of the journey with the Journey (see what I did there?) so I'll have a whole new report on how security screening and flying with it goes then.

Last edited by Methos1979; 03-14-2018 at 07:47 AM.
Old 03-13-2018, 05:54 PM

Great looking guitar Methos, thanks for the reportage.

Happy Trails !
Old 03-13-2018, 06:11 PM

Nice reports! The blue top looks very nice, better than the plain black I think.
Old 03-13-2018, 06:22 PM

Methos thank you for the detailed report. I've been trying to decide on the right travel guitar solution for some time now and the info you provided has been most helpful.

--gordon
Old 03-13-2018, 08:49 PM
Charter Member

Enjoying the updates!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber