The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 03-12-2018, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
OK, mission accomplished. I am scared, so you can take off your masks now.

...OMG!!! Those aren't masks! I am outta here...

Tony
I remember, back in the day, when Tony was a nice shy quiet Cargo playing MacNichol forum contributing guy.... yikes is all I can think of now...; but in a darn near good way.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 03-12-2018, 08:43 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
I remember, back in the day, when Tony was a nice shy quiet Cargo playing MacNichol forum contributing guy.... yikes is all I can think of now...; but in a darn near good way.
Yeah, I seem to remember that three Cargos were all he was ever going to need. We have good, long memories, don’t we Tony? My, how things change.
Old 03-12-2018, 10:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Res Ipsa View Post
At this point it seems impossible to stop perseverating.

Been wanting to say that in a coherent sentence. Carry on ...
I thought I might be perseverating once, but the more I thought about it, the more I thought I might be doing it... even after I stopped thinking about it.

Old 03-12-2018, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
I thought I might be perseverating once, but the more I thought about it, the more I thought I might be doing it... even after I stopped thinking about it.

Good thinking I think if I actually was thinking about this.
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 03-12-2018, 11:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
Yeah, I seem to remember that three Cargos were all he was ever going to need. We have good, long memories, don’t we Tony? My, how things change.
Funny you should mention that. I took out one of my Cargos earlier this evening for a while. I realized that the guitar I have been talking about - the CF version of my old Martin is already here. I have three of them. Seriously, I think the Cargo is about as close to the perfect guitar, in many ways, as we can get. The fretboard is comfortably wide. the scale is comfortably short. The guitar body is VERY ergonomic, and with a decent strap is perfect. The Cargo sounds really good. Being all carbon fiber construction and with stainless steel frets and GOTOH mini 510 tuners, will probably never need any type of maintenance.

So, yes, I think that sentiment still probably holds true. I can say that, while my wood guitars may come and go in various trades, the three Cargos will stay.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 03-12-2018, 11:25 PM

Default words not in my lexicon

I felt so inadequate for a while. Give that man a roget's thesaurus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-arino View Post
Personally I like the badinage. I will however adjust as necessary for my tone not to be perceived as persiflage.
Old 03-12-2018, 11:48 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Funny you should mention that. I took out one of my Cargos earlier this evening for a while. I realized that the guitar I have been talking about - the CF version of my old Martin is already here. I have three of them. Seriously, I think the Cargo is about as close to the perfect guitar, in many ways, as we can get. The fretboard is comfortably wide. the scale is comfortably short. The guitar body is VERY ergonomic, and with a decent strap is perfect. The Cargo sounds really good. Being all carbon fiber construction and with stainless steel frets and GOTOH mini 510 tuners, will probably never need any type of maintenance.

So, yes, I think that sentiment still probably holds true. I can say that, while my wood guitars may come and go in various trades, the three Cargos will stay.

Tony
Tony, I was with you on this Cargo journey around the same time back then, and still am...though I only bought one Cargo...an early ‘08 charcoal with Road Tough finish (SongwriterFan bought the wine one a couple of hours later from Danny Brevard in Lufkin, TX). I still love it and although I was hoping that the Blackbird Savoy I bought as a similar size guitar would uproot the Cargo with a little more mids/trebles balance, it has in that respect and it’s a great guitar, but not as much as I hoped so it hasn’t been ‘all that’ in a strange sort of way...for me (most owners probably feel otherwise) which is a major reason why I’m selling the Savoy. The Cargo still rocks me...being one of the early ones, now 10 years in, it’s a keeper.

Last edited by Acousticado; 03-13-2018 at 12:38 AM.
Old 03-13-2018, 12:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Tony, I was with you on this Cargo journey around the same time back then, and still am...though I only bought one Cargo...an ‘08 charcoal with Road Tough finish (SongwriterFan bought the wine one a couple of hours later rom Danny Brevard in Lufkin, TX). I still love it and although I was hoping that the Blackbird Savoy I bought as a similar size guitar would uproot the Cargo with a little more mids/trebles balance, it has in that respect and it’s a great guitar, but not as much as I hoped so it hasn’t been ‘all that’ in a strange sort of way...for me (most owners probably feel otherwise) which is a major reason why I’m selling the Savoy. The Cargo still rocks me...being one of the early ones, now 10 years in, it’s a keeper.
There is something about the original Cargos. If you got a "good" one (i.e. not one with the neck angle problem), then it really is a keeper. I have played one or two of the newer Peavey models and while they seem fine, there is just something about the original model that suits me. I would not want to replace any of mine. So I do get it, as obviously you do too.

As for other CF guitars, I have not had the exposure. I have played a few Rainsongs, and a couple of early Emeralds. again, those were decent enough, but the Cargo is just right somehow. One thing about the Cargo is that it has a wider fretboard and string spacing than the other CF guitars I have played. For me, that is important. I treat the Cargo essentially as a 12 fret guitar that happens to have farther reach. when played that way, I don't feel at all cramped playing up the neck.

It would be interesting to try a Blackbird, some of the newer Emeralds, and other CF guitars that folks talk about around here. Unfortunately, there aren't any local shops selling these, though Willie's American Guitars might have some Blackbird products. Even if I do get access to some of these other CF makers, I doubt that any would replace my Cargos. I got all three brand new back then, and they have just become a part of the family. Even my wife says I can trade/sell any of my wood guitars, but the Cargos stay.

If they hadn't have been so affordable back then, I am sure I would not have three. What is great about having them is that all three are identical wine color RT finish, so switching from one to another is a non-issue. I can keep them in different tunings. My wife is responsible for me getting the third Cargo. She is also responsible for me getting back into some wood guitars. I am a lucky guy.

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...

Last edited by tbeltrans; 03-13-2018 at 12:14 AM.
Old 03-13-2018, 12:13 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
There is something about the original Cargos. If you got a "good" one (i.e. not one with the neck angle problem), then it really is a keeper. I have played one or two of the newer Peavey models and while they seem fine, there is just something about the original model that suits me. I would not want to replace any of mine. So I do get it, as obviously you do too.

As for other CF guitars, I have not had the exposure. I have played a few Rainsongs, and a couple of early Emeralds. again, those were decent enough, but the Cargo is just right somehow.

If they hadn't have been so affordable back then, I am sure I would not have three. What is great about having them is that all three are identical wine color RT finish, so switching from one to another is a non-issue. I can keep them in different tunings. My wife is responsible for me getting the third Cargo. She is also responsible for me getting back into some wood guitars. I am a lucky guy.

Tony
Haha. For me, my ‘58 Strat is gone, but the lowly old Cargo will remain. Maybe it’s a sign that it will one day, as an early model, will reach such iconic status. Hmmm, I don’t think so...love it anyway.
Old 03-13-2018, 12:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Haha. For me, my ‘58 Strat is gone, but the lowly old Cargo will remain. Maybe it’s a sign that it will one day, as an early model, will reach such iconic status. Hmmm, I don’t think so...love it anyway.
I have a 1974 Gibson Johnny Smith, the rare one with two floating Johnny Smith pickups. That guitar would go before the Cargos, believe it or not. There really is something about the original Cargo - it was (is) perfect in its own peculiar way.

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...
Old 03-13-2018, 12:20 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
I have a 1974 Gibson Johnny Smith, the rare one with two floating Johnny Smith pickups. That guitar would go before the Cargos, believe it or not. There really is something about the original Cargo - it was (is) perfect in its own peculiar way.

Tony
I totally understand. Something about the nut width, string spacing at the saddle and short scale length of the Cargo that allows the player to really “dig in”, if you know what I mean. Nice to have chatted with you Tony to reminisce at this late hour about our original Cargo days...may they be with us for a long time!
Old 03-13-2018, 12:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I totally understand. Haha, nice to have chatted with you Tony to reminisce a t this late hour about our original Cargo days...may they continue.
Always fun. I wonder how many others from those days still have their Cargos, and do they feel the same way. Sometimes it is easy to overlook the Cargo because it is always there and doesn't need any care. It is good to be reminded of how good these guitars really are.

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...
Old 03-13-2018, 12:32 PM
Guest 928

The Cargo was my first CF guitar, one of the early ones. I sold it, but then years later purchased one of the Peavey Cargos. They were both incredible instruments and I can understand why people would hang on to them, or even, like someone whose name I won't mention (spelled K R A M S T E R) might have a whole herd of Cargos (less work than goats).

Unfortunately, for me, the Cargo never came out as a nylon string guitar. I tried nylon strings, but as might be expected, the tonal qualities were fine but the projection was just not there.
Old 03-13-2018, 03:01 PM

Back when Tony was trying all those different things with his Cargos I was following what he was doing... I still have one cargo.. the first one I got, Will never get rid of the lil bugger ..it and Gumby go way back... The McPherson Travel is a good kinda Cargo like guitar for sure... a little richer sounding to me. Sounds great plugged in as well.
Old 03-13-2018, 03:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
Back when Tony was trying all those different things with his Cargos I was following what he was doing... I still have one cargo.. the first one I got, Will never get rid of the lil bugger ..it and Gumby go way back... The McPherson Travel is a good kinda Cargo like guitar for sure... a little richer sounding to me. Sounds great plugged in as well.
All three of my Cargos still have the K & K pickups. However, I have found that the Empress ParaEQ pedal works quite well with the K & K pickups, providing the 1 Meg Ohm input impedance and plenty of tone shaping, all in just one little box. I still have my modded Boss GE-7 EQ pedal and modded Knockout pedal, and modded K & K preamp too. All of this is "keeper" stuff. I don't do all that pedal modding and building anymore. My eyes just don't see those little parts as clearly as they used to.

Everything I have read here indicates the Kramster has quite a collection, with the Cargo representing an ever smaller corner of it. That sounds like a lot of fun, having all those guitars to share.

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber