The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-18-2018, 09:15 AM

Default NGD - Martin GPCPA1

I don't know the year, bought it new on clearance from GC w a couple small dints. Can find out the year today probably. Unplugged it sounds better than any I've played - wasn't comparing it to many $4K guitars. I wasn't in that price range, so mainly playing $2 - low $3k. I need a 1.75" + wide nut and I think this may be the best sounding with that. I've been through Gibsons, Guilds, Taylors, Martins, and even some SWS Seagulls and none I played were close. (it's all subjective- I love the sound of this guitar.) Chords can sweetly ring out or deliver a fierce growl - unplugged. Wow!

I have a sweet sounding Katana 100w combo that includes an acoustic setting. I don't really care about the complex electronics, I'll find a setting or two that work at various volumes and call it good. Dial in the amp from there. It sounds great through the amp. That will never go out of date. I do love the fact that there is a built in tuner. Simple but very helpful.

Finally it is a beautiful guitar. GC says Ebony fretboard and bridge. Some may be, not this one. Doesn't effect play obviously. The fretwork, finish, binding, inlay, abalone and overall construction are superbly done.

Perhaps the best part was searching for various Martin related videos and commentary and coming across a video of Angela Petrilli yesterday. She is apparently sponsored by Martin. Watching her approach to finger style is an inspiration. Her singer is battling cancer and though comments suggest otherwise, I think she sounds great through my good headphones: https://youtu.be/cwIBIoU2bAQ

As far as her finger style goes, her hand is probably 1/4 the size of mine. If I hit the guitar as hard as she does, I'd bust it for sure. LOL

[/SIZE]
Old 03-18-2018, 09:47 AM

Glad you found a real keeper for yourself.

I also found it interesting about the Katana having the acoustic setting. I didn't know that. They are very decent amps and that just might push me to get one.
Old 03-18-2018, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadfastly View Post
Glad you found a real keeper for yourself.

I also found it interesting about the Katana having the acoustic setting. I didn't know that. They are very decent amps and that just might push me to get one.
Yes it is a great amp. Honestly first non tube amp that I’ve played that sounds good to my ears. Best part is it can play low volume and sound great. Get the head if you can or at least check the features. Head offers a bit more. The y are coming out with one that is wireless from your guitar. Turns on / off when you pick up set down guitar.

Moreover it’s hard to make it not sound good, unlike
tube amps that have a few sweet spots. I don’t have any experience with acoustic amps, but I can’t imagine anything sounding much better than this. Plugged it in, turned it on, set everything flat, turned off effects (3 knobs to 0), and it was already singing. I don’t know if it can get any better. If you also play electric, you’re in for a treat.
Old 03-18-2018, 01:18 PM

You purchased a beautiful guitar - you'll really enjoy it !! The fingerboard is Black Richlite not Ebony. Martin uses Black Richlite in a lot of its guitars. I have a GPCPA4 SIRIS and it's also a great guitar.
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer
Old 03-18-2018, 03:20 PM

The harmonics ring out on this guitar like none other I’ve experienced. Maybe I’m getting a lot better at it suddenly, but I’ve been at it for 30 years.

The other is a 62 AVRI with new AVRI hardware, Emerson wiring, 69 CS PUs and a super wide all RW / abalone dotted warmoth. A bit off topic but that one is a keeper too. I will be inlaying a Fender logo in abalone in the next couple months. Next project. . .
Old 03-18-2018, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sands View Post
Yes it is a great amp. Honestly first non tube amp that I’ve played that sounds good to my ears. Best part is it can play low volume and sound great. Get the head if you can or at least check the features. Head offers a bit more. The y are coming out with one that is wireless from your guitar. Turns on / off when you pick up set down guitar.

Moreover it’s hard to make it not sound good, unlike
tube amps that have a few sweet spots. I don’t have any experience with acoustic amps, but I can’t imagine anything sounding much better than this. Plugged it in, turned it on, set everything flat, turned off effects (3 knobs to 0), and it was already singing. I don’t know if it can get any better. If you also play electric, you’re in for a treat.
I do play electric as well and this is what tweaked my curiosity. A young friend of mine returned his Fender Mustang and took the Boss and loves it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion