The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 03-21-2015, 11:19 AM

Default Fender solid state CM-17 amp

I have this "Made in USA" Fender solid state amp from the 80's. It's a smallish bare-bones (vol/tone/reverb/tremolo) unit with a 8" speaker. I couldn't find out anything on-line about it (or even referencing it). Don't know if it's junk or worth cleaning up. Anyone have any thoughts?
Thanks
Old 03-21-2015, 12:04 PM

i googled it and found nothing. you may want to ask in the amp section of the fender site's forum.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 03-21-2015, 01:52 PM

Post-1982 Fender tube amps didn't have tremolo until the blackface reissues came on the market and, with the exception of the two ill-fated series of the late-60's, neither have the solid-state amps until the release of the Champions last year. If this is in fact a genuine Fender product I'm thinking it was made exclusively for the export market, as it sounds very similar in concept to the Princeton Reverb or Vibro Champ; on the other hand there was/is a flourishing market in forgeries - the "Made in USA" label notwithstanding - and this may well be one of those. If you could post some reasonable-resolution pics - inside and out - it may be of some help, and I personally wouldn't fire it up without having a tech look it over first...
Old 03-21-2015, 02:38 PM

Hey Steve
It's roots may could be England, I lived there for a bit
not sure how I send you pics tho
I tried, but it's either me being a dinosaur or the system/forum that won"t allow me to attach them - thanks
Epiphone Dot Studio
Jay Turser Dread
Yamaha APX-3
Breedlove Passport
S101 335
Ovation Celebrity

"And I guess I just don't know" - Lou Reed
Old 03-21-2015, 02:46 PM

I spent the last 10 minutes looking up the CM-17 in my "Soul of Tone" Fender amps book and found nothing on it. Like Steve mentioned above, it may have been manufactured for the export market. I read in the book that some of the people thought that all the export amps were made in USA but some were actually made in Mexico in the '80s. They had an "M" on the inside panel.

Any chance you have a serial number? An email to Fender may help.

Whatever you find please let us know. We're interested.
Old 03-21-2015, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layitdown View Post
Hey Steve
It's roots may could be England, I lived there for a bit
not sure how I send you pics tho
I tried, but it's either me being a dinosaur or the system/forum that won"t allow me to attach them - thanks
Thanks, but don't send them to me - post them here for general info, since there are many of us who are quite well-versed in matters of this type and two (or more) heads are better than one...

TMK there are instructions on how to post pics in the FAQ - if you're still having trouble, contact one of the moderators for help...
Old 03-22-2015, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Thanks, but don't send them to me - post them here for general info, since there are many of us who are quite well-versed in matters of this type and two (or more) heads are better than one...

TMK there are instructions on how to post pics in the FAQ - if you're still having trouble, contact one of the moderators for help...

Thanks for the heads-up - hopefully I did this correctly and there are some pics here

Last edited by Layitdown; 03-22-2015 at 07:10 AM. Reason: pics not downloaded
Old 03-22-2015, 10:10 AM

That "CM-17" designation got me thinking, and the pics confirmed my suspicions; in spite of the labeling (as well as its cosmetic similarity to the Fender Bronco/Musicmaster amps), what you have is most emphatically not a Fender, but a Teisco Checkmate 17 amp which, to my eye (and based solely on the photos) dates to 1966-1972 (I'm not sure when they went out of production, but we used to have one very similar to yours in the music studio where I taught when I was in college in the early-70s). If you bought it "new" in the '80s it was most likely what we call NOS or "new old stock" - stuff that's been hanging around the shop since Methuselah was in kindergarten - and they boogered it with aftermarket logos to pass it off to the unsuspecting; alternatively, it was an outright forgery made in Japan - keep in mind that this was the beginning of the "lawsuit" era - and destined for the Japanese market (the 21W power-consumption rating would be about right for a 5W output SS amp from this period), that somehow found its way into the UK much as the Tradetang/Alibaba "Gibsons," "Martins," and "Taylors" do today...

Here's an eBay site run by a guy who specializes in early Japanese equipment (note the cosmetic similarities to your amp, as well as the "CM" designations):

http://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html?_nk...EL+CM+17&rt=nc

Sorry I couldn't give you better news...

Last edited by Steve DeRosa; 03-22-2015 at 05:29 PM.
Old 03-22-2015, 05:04 PM

Hey Steve
Good news or bad, i appreciate your follow-up.
The amp owes me nothing and certainly wasn't the highlight of my collection. (On the other hand, had you told me my Strat or Martin were fakes, then I would certainly be making my way towards the liquor cabinet.)
I'll search other avenues to explore its roots, and if I find out something new, will be sure to post it.
Thanks

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars