The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 03-08-2015, 04:35 PM

I think they do. Certainly not as much as acoustics but never the less. I live in Vegas so it's a huge issue for me especially having had a Taylor 810 top crack which cost me over $500 to replace. Since then I've been religious about it. One thing I've noticed is that in a very dry climate even though the solid bodies don't really go out of wack there can be a problem with the finishes sucking into the wood of the guitar if not humidified. I use a room humidifier with all of my guitars in that room. For me it's chicken soup, can't hurt.
Old 03-10-2015, 07:26 AM

FYI: My electric bass has a slight bow I have not been able to remove with the truss rod. A few days ago I oiled the ebony fretboard and put a humidifier in the case. I also loosened the strings. I tuned it up to pitch last night. The bow had gone from more than 0.024" at the 7th fret to less than 0.016".

My working theory is, if the neck is dry it will take on water and swell slightly, countering the string pull. This may not be the case but I am pleased so far.

1984 Carvin LB-40 bass
1986 Carvin DC-125 two humbucker
1996 Taylor 412
La Patrie Concert
2012 American Standard Telecaster
1981 Carvin DC 100
Harley Benton LP JR DC
Bushman Delta Frost & Suzuki harmonicas
Artley flute
Six-plus decade old vocal apparatus
Old 03-18-2015, 02:19 PM

Normally, no, but it depends on the finish.

Hollow, semi-hollow, and acoustics are more prone to moisture variations because a) the bodies are very thin slices of wood, and b) their insides are virtually naked wood (and what thin sealers may be applied - shellacs, polyurethanes, varnish, whatever - tend to dry, shrink, and crack themselves).

So if you have, say, a blonde tele or one of those SG specials with a thin outer coat, or no coat and just stained, you may want to ensure you don't leave them in a really dry place for long periods. OTOH, my tobacco burst LP has lived 99.99% of it's 40yr life uncased breathing whatever moisture ... or not... was around it, with nary a wrinkle.

Oh, and what jumbomumbo said: oil the rosewood fretboard.
Old 03-18-2015, 02:36 PM

Necks can react to drops in humidity and case problems in action. They can also dry out so much that the frets stick out at the ends of the fretboard. Finishes only slow the rate at which the wood will absorb moisture. But generally speaking they are way easier to deal with then acoustic guitars in this regard.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars