The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 03-14-2015, 08:38 PM

Default NGD Taylor T5Z

I have only played acoustic guitar for one year. The jumbo frets on this guitar have made me realize that I press down on the strings way too hard, as the intonation really goes sharp except with the lightest touch. Is that a common factor with electrics?

Last edited by Dulcilo; 03-14-2015 at 08:52 PM.
Old 03-14-2015, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcilo View Post
I have only played acoustic guitar for one year. The jumbo frets on this guitar have made me realize that I press down on the strings way to hard, as the intonation really goes sharp except with the lightest touch. Is that a common factor with electrics?
It would be a problem for you on an acoustic with big frets too. The problem is your technique, but it just isn't as obvious on an acoustic because the frets are usually much lower and there's less distance for the string behind the note to travel down once it has already contacted the fret.

You should be able to adjust your technique to press down just hard enough to get the strings to contact the frets and for the notes to ring clear. If you get that down, you'll be able to play both guitars without worrying about pressing more lightly on the electric. Good luck.
Old 03-14-2015, 09:56 PM

Thanks for the reply! It is good to know that refining my technique with the T5Z will also translate to the acoustic guitar.
Old 03-15-2015, 05:46 AM

Congrats on the T5Z! What's the difference between a T5 and the Z?
Old 03-15-2015, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Congrats on the T5Z! What's the difference between a T5 and the Z?
The Z has bigger frets, the radius isn't as flat, and it has a smaller body.

I bought my T5 a few years back before the T5z was an option. My only real gripe is that the body is so big that it doesn't fit in the average gig bag.
Old 03-15-2015, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2y View Post
The Z has bigger frets, the radius isn't as flat, and it has a smaller body.

I bought my T5 a few years back before the T5z was an option. My only real gripe is that the body is so big that it doesn't fit in the average gig bag.
Thanks s2y.
Old 03-15-2015, 07:43 AM

I would agree that jumbo frets are more prone to going sharp when playing hard. I typically prefer smaller frets and use a lighter touch. I still keep my lighter touch when playing bigger frets.

A lot of guitarists work their hands way too hard. My initial interests were with shred, where playing with the least amount of effort is basically a requirement because you risk injury, fatigue, or not being able to hit all the notes. Perhaps this guitar can train you since pressing too hard will cause sharp notes and pitchy chords.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Thanks s2y.
No prob.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars