The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 11-08-2014, 11:15 PM

Default Recommended Beginner Guitars?

I've been playing plectrum guitar for about a decade and decided to start classical guitar lessons. I know i need a nylon string guitar but i haven't been around classical guitars long enough to understand what brands are any good etc. i didn't want a real expensive guitar but i know that the corners that have been cut like high action or string buzz i will notice and hate. Any recommendations? Also, what strings brands are decent? What gauges are normal?
Old 11-09-2014, 12:30 AM

What nut width do you prefer?
A truss rod is a benefit - prevents necks from flexing up.
If you buy from a mom & pop store, they'll possibly offer to smooth fret ends and lower the action as part of the sale.
Old 11-09-2014, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bax Burgess View Post
What nut width do you prefer?
A truss rod is a benefit - prevents necks from flexing up.
If you buy from a mom & pop store, they'll possibly offer to smooth fret ends and lower the action as part of the sale.
Every guitar ive ever owned had a 44 mm nut width but I expect ill get used to a wider classical guitar neck If i have to. Any brand recommendations?

Last edited by Taisha; 11-09-2014 at 01:19 AM.
Old 11-09-2014, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taisha View Post
I've been playing plectrum guitar for about a decade and decided to start classical guitar lessons. I know i need a nylon string guitar but i haven't been around classical guitars long enough to understand what brands are any good etc. i didn't want a real expensive guitar but i know that the corners that have been cut like high action or string buzz i will notice and hate. Any recommendations? Also, what strings brands are decent? What gauges are normal?
What is your price range?
Garcia #2 classical
Cordoba C10 Luthier Series
Tacoma Olympia OB3CE acoustic bass

"I don't care what style you want to play. If you want to master good guitar tone, master preparation, attack and release first." ~ Paul Guma
Old 11-09-2014, 09:09 AM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:

I'm a steel string guitar player, but I had bought a Lucero LC-100 a few years ago at the Guitar Center for $99. I bought a bone saddle blank and sanded it down a touch and it sounds good for what I do on it. (Mood For A Day by Steve Howe and a few random classical parts, now mostly forgotten). The LC-100 goes for about $130 now. I've notice that the sound quality on nylon guitars really jumps up at the $600 price point. Also, there are guitars called "cross-overs" that have a narrower nut than a classical, but use nylon strings.

I have La Bella strings on it now only because I couldn't find any D'Addario Pro Arte EJ45 normal tension strings.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 11-09-2014, 10:34 AM

The LaPatrie line from Godin in Canada is very good. Also, check out Cordoba, Yamaha, and Walden...
Old 11-09-2014, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I have La Bella strings on it now only because I couldn't find any D'Addario Pro Arte EJ45 normal tension strings.
Taisha, I'm another one who likes the EJ45s, but they don't always pair well with all guitars. You might have to buy and compare three or so sets before you find a match. Nylon strings are very resilient and will endure restringing, so avoid trimming the ends until you decide on the best set. Cordoba would get my vote as rich sound for the money, but their frets could very well need some leveling (and some smoothing of the ends), especially if you prefer low action. I do find the truss rod a valuable backup.
Old 11-09-2014, 10:44 PM

I just sold my Alvarez RC16 classical guitar today to make room for an upgraded instrument. But I found the Alvarez to be a solid and easy-to-play entry-level classical guitar for under $200. The action and intonation were both spot on, and the fit and finish was excellent. For strings, the D'Addario Pro-Arte series are recommended by many.

Martin D-15M
Taylor 420 Maple
Alvarez MD80
Alvarez MD80/12

Last edited by Fire&Rain; 11-09-2014 at 11:14 PM.
Old 11-10-2014, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rondoraymundo View Post
What is your price range?
I was looking at spending somewhere around 500 give or take.
Old 11-10-2014, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bax Burgess View Post
Cordoba would get my vote as rich sound for the money, but their frets could very well need some leveling (and some smoothing of the ends), especially if you prefer low action. I do find the truss rod a valuable backup.
Cheers, i was looking at Cordoba f7 and C7 and thought they seemed pretty good.
Old 11-10-2014, 04:16 AM

When people ask about beginner steel string guitars on a budget, my first thought is always Seagull guitars (made by Godin).

When people ask about beginner nylon string guitars my first thought is always LaPatrie guitars (also made by Godin). These have been my favorites among classical guitars less than about $1000.

That being said, I think once you get up above about $1000 or so (well, maybe a little higher now, prices probably have risen since my last really serious classical guitar shopping) you start getting into the range of some guitars that are really fundamentally better (e.g. some of the nice Spanish made guitars).
Old 11-10-2014, 04:18 AM

Regarding strings: On my classical guitar (Burguet 3M), I strongly prefer Savarez strings, and of these my preference is the high tension strings.
Old 11-10-2014, 06:48 AM

Quote:
I was looking at spending somewhere around 500 give or take.
I would second the Cordorba vote, but you also might want to look at La Patrie and Yamaha. However, if you check the Bay and Craigslist you might be able to snag an all wood guitar second hand.

I've played Cordorba C7's and think they are fine guitars for the money. If you go in that direction be sure to check the fret ends before you buy. Some of the older ones have issues there that can be resolved with a fret file and should be before you buy.
Garcia #2 classical
Cordoba C10 Luthier Series
Tacoma Olympia OB3CE acoustic bass

"I don't care what style you want to play. If you want to master good guitar tone, master preparation, attack and release first." ~ Paul Guma
Old 11-10-2014, 07:28 AM

For $500 you may be able to get a used Yairi. They are wonderful guitars, you will not be disappointed. Brand new you can't go wrong with Yamaha. Also Cordoba guitars are supposed to be good.

My website:
http://draudio56.wix.com/warren-bendler

"It's hard...calming the Beatle inside of me."
Old 11-10-2014, 09:04 AM

You can find a new Cordoba C7 or LaPatrie Concert under $500. Both are very good choices at this price point.

Martin D-15M
Taylor 420 Maple
Alvarez MD80
Alvarez MD80/12

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical