The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 08-19-2014, 05:28 PM

Default Cordoba C5 or C7?

Hello, I'm a steel-string fingerstyle guitar player looking to start classical. I've heard Cordoba makes some of the best guitars in the price range of $300-$500, and I'm mainly considering the C5 and C7.

Has anyone who has played both noticed a significant improvement in the C7? I'm trying to figure out if it's worth it. Ideally, I'd test them myself at a Guitar Center or something, but I'm currently abroad for the summer, and there aren't large music stores where I live anyway.

I'm also open to suggestions of other guitars in that price range. Please, nothing above $500. I'm just a poor college student, haha.

Thanks for your help!
Old 08-19-2014, 06:44 PM

C7 had definite advantage over c5. If you shop around though, you may be able to score a c9 for under $500... all solid construction, worth holding out for.
Yamaha FSX-5
Yamaha LS-TA
Yamaha CG-TA
Epiphone EJ-200SCE
Breedlove Wildwood Organic Concert
Hohner Essential Roots SOSB
Epiphone Houndog Roundneck
Dobro Model 29
Taylor 214ce-N
Cordoba C9 Spruce
1972 Pablo De La Cruz Classical
? Eusebio Huipe Cedar/PE Flamenco
Godin Multiac Duet Ambiance
Cordoba Stage
Old 08-24-2014, 06:53 PM

I've done well with "blems" on ebay-

Saved a lot of many on smaller Cordobas- a 7/8 Dolce, a 3/4 Protege and a 1/2 sized Requinto- all at 30 percent or more off retail- and with issues you could never much find if they didn't point them out-

each case may be different- but I've gambled a few times, and wasn't disappointed.

The C5 is a nice play- my Dolce an Requinto are both scaled down versions- mahogany vs. rosewood back and sides is a tough call-
mahogany always sounds fine to me-

You can probably find a C-5 on ebay for $250 or less if you're patient, or a c-7 at similar savings. Make sure it has a truss rod though- or it's several years old then.

but my full sized main guitar is a Manuel Rodriguez with rosewood. I bough it when the c-5 and it were both on sale- and it simply sounded better to me, and I had too many similar looking Cordobas at that point..
Old 08-24-2014, 07:03 PM

I know you said not over 500, but I just bought a Cordoba Fusion in maple back and sides and it is just awesome. The frets are finished perfect, intonation if excellent, tuners are very precise, and the onboard electronics work very well, all things I have found to be needing alot of attention on the C5 and C7 models. I have been looking around for about 6 months trying to make a decision on a nylon string crossover/hybrid model without the 2" neck profile. Its about 200 over your price point but does not need all the attention to get it up to playing mode. Only slight fix it needs is the action is a bit high for me, buts thats a personal preference. About a half hour on the bench will set it right.
Old 12-15-2014, 02:50 PM

I just got the c5. A couple of pointers:

1) The variation from guitar to guitar are significant. I tried out the floor model and fell in love with it. Asked for a new one, and the new one out of the box wasn't as impressive to me - significant variations in wood color too, if you care about looks .

2) c7 has a deeper tone, whereas c5 sounds brighter (differences in the wood type). I play both classical and flamenco, and preferred the brighter sound.

The sound volume and echo on both is actually pretty great.
Old 12-15-2014, 06:55 PM

I played several of each, and would pick the C-7. More resonance, sounds more full, etc. It is a bit bass heavy, probably due to the very thin top Córdoba uses. If I recall correctly, the C7 comes with Savarez Cristal high tension strings, so I'd use lighter wound strings, and maybe Corum Alliance trebles. That would help give a more balanced response.
Old 12-15-2014, 07:31 PM

c7. Though if you look hard enough, you may be able to find an inexpensive c9. All solid construction, and certainly worth the extra money. I was able to find mine for $415.
Yamaha FSX-5
Yamaha LS-TA
Yamaha CG-TA
Epiphone EJ-200SCE
Breedlove Wildwood Organic Concert
Hohner Essential Roots SOSB
Epiphone Houndog Roundneck
Dobro Model 29
Taylor 214ce-N
Cordoba C9 Spruce
1972 Pablo De La Cruz Classical
? Eusebio Huipe Cedar/PE Flamenco
Godin Multiac Duet Ambiance
Cordoba Stage
Old 12-16-2014, 11:36 AM

I own a C5 - from 2007 - one of the last made in Portugal! IMHO, even if you can't play a C5 and C7 back-to-back to ascertain the tonal differences, hopefully you can find a cedar over mahogany and a cedar over rosewood classical to compare?

I would suggest La Patrie - one of the Godin acoustic guitars made in Canada - as an alternative - and Yamaha certainly makes some well-regarded classical guitars as well...

http://www.lapatrieguitars.com/guitars.html

The Etude (laminate back and sides) and Concert (all-solid with mahogany back and sides) fall within your budget - the Presentation (all-solid with rosewood back and sides) is outside the $500 mark bit a little bit...
Old 12-16-2014, 07:27 PM

Default C7

Started with a C5 (as a pure beginner) played it for a few weeks, and then went back to the store to try the C7. Liked the sound better and GC gave me full credit for the C5 and I went home with the C7. That was about a year and a half ago. Always wonder what it would be like to step up again, but the better I get the more I realize that the C7 is probably all I need for now.
Old 01-12-2015, 02:14 PM

I second the La Patrie Presentation. It is a fantastic guitar for the price. The big plus is that it is all solid woods.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical