The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 12-11-2014, 01:05 PM

i have the Cordoba GT Studio Negra
Scale Length 650mm (25.6")
Nut Width 50mm (1.96")

http://www.cordobaguitars.com/p/gk-studio-negra

for me it is a cross between steel acoustic and classical so it's just perfect for me. i love this guitar. it has booming bass like i cannot get on my regular steel acoustics and other than bending i can fly up and down fretboard a lot easier than steel. the nut width is closer to steel than classical so it is easier for me to transition to. It definitely has its place in the pack for me. so glad i picked it up!
might be worth checking out. i picked it up @ Sam *****...

Old 12-11-2014, 06:59 PM

Default opinion asked again

Thanks everyone. I think I have narrowed it down to either a Cordoba Fusion Orchestra Pro or a Cordoba FCWE Reissue. Any thoughts on which is the better of the two?
Old 12-12-2014, 11:35 AM

A second vote for LaPatrie guitars - Cordobas are great, too - as are Yamahas - you are headed in the right direction...
Old 12-13-2014, 04:49 PM

3rd vote for La Patrie.

1984 Carvin LB-40 bass
1986 Carvin DC-125 two humbucker
1996 Taylor 412
La Patrie Concert
2012 American Standard Telecaster
1981 Carvin DC 100
Harley Benton LP JR DC
Bushman Delta Frost & Suzuki harmonicas
Artley flute
Six-plus decade old vocal apparatus
Old 12-14-2014, 11:09 AM

I'm gonna throw in a late vote for a Taylor.
Just this week I picked up a NS34CE and have been completely blown away by the sound. Not to mention it has sustain like I have never heard on nylons before.
Old 12-14-2014, 05:43 PM

I also have to recommend a look a LaPatrie. They have several models in this price range.

Martin D-15M
Taylor 420 Maple
Alvarez MD80
Alvarez MD80/12
Old 12-14-2014, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadrod View Post
I'm gonna throw in a late vote for a Taylor.
Just this week I picked up a NS34CE and have been completely blown away by the sound. Not to mention it has sustain like I have never heard on nylons before.
Yes, definitely check out Taylor. My 414 Fall Limited nylon is my primary gigging guitar
Old 12-14-2014, 08:06 PM

Played a Martin nylon today. I was shocked that they made one. Played really smooth too. They did a good job I must say. Maybe worth checking into.
Old 12-15-2014, 12:55 AM

Default A bit of devil's advocate here

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldrgd View Post
I'm looking to buy a nylon string guitar. I am not a good player and these seem easier to fret being that I am pretty old. I have been looking at a Cordoba Fusion 12 Orchestra Pro. It seems to be closer to a steel string. I would like to stay under $1000. Any thoughts? Other suggestions? Thanks
A while back I bought a Breedlove N250CRE, which is a hybrid with a 1 7/8" nut, fan-braced top, LR Baggs electronics. I have never owned nylons prior to this, although I've been playing for about 45 years. I finally got around to it because I wanted to have this sound available to me. This guitar plays nice, sounds nice, sounds GREAT plugged in.

Anyway, I was surprised to learn that playing a classical-style guitar, even a hybrid like this one, is in some ways even more rigorous than my steel string axes. For one thing, the fretboard radius is nearly flat (it is completely flat on true classical guitars), unlike a steel string, and I have to really concentrate to make chords sound clean, especially with barres. There are also the obvious differences in scale length and string spacing to contend with. All of these things are challenges that I enjoy and working with this guitar seems to bring out better technique in terms of accuracy and light touch when I play my other axes.

The point I'm getting at here is that I find that playing this guitar gives me more of a workout in some ways than my steel string axes, and I'm an accomplished finger-style player. True there is less actual pressure required to finger an individual note, but this type of guitar tends to demand a very rigorous approach to hand positioning, posture, etc., in order to get clean and well-intonated notes out of it, and you may find that your assumption that a nylon will be "easier" to play might not be entirely correct.

YMMV but I think in your situation you might also want to take a look at lighter string gauges and shorter scale steel string axes, such as a nice 12-fret slotted or an OM style. I don't necessarily agree that nylon string guitars are best for beginners or those with hand issues like arthritis, etc.

Either way you decide, good luck...I've been struggling with sore hands myself for several years now, so I can relate to that.
Taylor 412K ('96)
Yamaha LL16-12 (SOLD)
PRS 'Studio' (SOLD)
Rickenbacker 660-12 (SOLD)
Fender USA Deluxe Strat
Fender USA Roadhouse Strat
Fender MIM/USA Partscaster
Fender MIM Nashville Tele
Kelsey Custom Hardtail Strat
Fender MIM P-Bass
Old 12-15-2014, 02:42 PM

thanks for the help, I just bought a Cordoba Fusion pro. Cant wait for it to come in.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical