The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 12-06-2014, 11:37 AM

Default Intonation on Classical

Hi all,

I've noticed on pretty much every classical I've ever played that in standard tuning, the 12th fret B on the 2nd string is sharp. I try and play Blackbird, say, and when slid up to to the octave, it sounds noticeably "off". Has anyone else noticed this? Is this a known thing?

Are there clever ways of compensating?
Old 12-06-2014, 12:54 PM

Location: New Zealand, South Island, way down toward the bottom!

I've never not adjusted or replaced the saddle on any guitar I've owned. Intonation issues are just a part of life for a person like me who is too cheap to pay for a custom instrument and full setup. But adjusting or swapping out the stock saddle should take care of the problem you're having.
Old 12-12-2014, 09:23 PM

I've not experienced this issue with my classical guitars.
Jonathan Vacanti archtop
Aaron Garcia Ruiz classical
Old 12-12-2014, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yepow View Post
Hi all,

I've noticed on pretty much every classical I've ever played that in standard tuning, the 12th fret B on the 2nd string is sharp. I try and play Blackbird, say, and when slid up to to the octave, it sounds noticeably "off". Has anyone else noticed this? Is this a known thing?

It is usually the thick G string that plays a little sharp at the 12th fret. Compensation at the saddle will solve this, it is done quite often. And sometimes a thinner carbon G string will intonate better.
Old 01-03-2015, 02:18 AM
Charter Member

I picked up my Fusion 12 because the intonation was really good all the way of the neck. I played 2 other Fusion 12's that had god awful intonation. You just gotta play a few and find that gem.
Old 01-03-2015, 10:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yepow View Post
Hi all,

All guitars are NOT created equal! Properly compensated saddles and even modest compensation at the nut will improve on the intonation up and down the finger board.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical