The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 12-23-2020, 05:26 PM

Question online technique classes

My biggest concern about trying to teach myself guitar is proper technique, or ergonomics. I am over 50, and this body is aging, even though I never gave it permission to do that. Other aspects of teaching myself do not concern me. I have experience with piano, and mountain dulcimer, so can read music, and understand some theory.

A local lesson studio does things a little differently than I am used to. When I called for further information, the owner said they really do not offer the typical once a week lesson, but packages, and the smallest is two, hour long lessons per week. Okay, they are going after the serious student. Since technique is my biggest concern, two lessons a week appeals to me. The cost and lesson taking commitment is not a good fit right now though. I prefer in person lessons, because the teacher can see things better, and would be able to make some adjustments while I am playing.

Can anyone point me in the direction of online lessons, to get me started? I bought my only guitar in May, and it is driving me bonkers to not play it. I learned to play the C scale, but have not gone beyond that, out of fear of learning bad habits that just become harder to break due to well developed muscle memory.

Thanks for your input.
Old 12-23-2020, 07:34 PM

Everyone is the world's greatest authority on their own opinion, so here's mine.

If you look at the multitude of fantastic guitar players out there in the world, both living and deceased, you can't help but notice just about as many playing styles as there are players. Some fingerpick with all five fingers, some just two, some anchor a pinkie, others free float, some play a hybrid style that involves fingerpicking along with a flat pick, some hold the flat pick one way, others totally differently, some learned to read music, others not a lick, and so on and so forth.

My point is that there is not one single way to finger a chord or use your fretting or fingerpicking/strumming hand or whatever, so why wait to play that guitar you have for fear of "not doing something correctly"? Unless your are planning to play classical guitar in the mode of Segovia, I'd be getting on with playing the guitar and learning chords or scales or whatever you want and let you eventual instructor work with what you have, offering advice on playing more efficiently or playing alternative chords or whatever rather than worrying about him or her making wholesale changes to your style.

I always wondered what would have happened if Lightnin' Hopkins or the Rev. Gary Davis or the like had gone in for lessons after having played for years and the instructor would have looked at the way they played and said, "No, no - not like that, like this."

So go play and have fun, time's a wastin' and unless you haven't already noticed by now, it goes faster all the time and waits for no one. There's more than one way to skin a cat, go skin your's your own way.
Old 12-24-2020, 06:42 AM

I tend to agree with Spock, but everyone has their own best way to learn. Your desires describe Jamie Andreas to a T. Her website is https://www.guitarprinciples.com/

I tried her method and found her introductory lessons less than stimulating. Still I did find some good tips that I try to return to from time to time. She also admits that although she has strong beliefs about the right way to do things there are good players who don’t adhere to her methods. She specifically mentioned that Eddie Van Halen holds a pick “wrong” but said obviously it works for him. I don’t think she’d try to change Reverend Gary Davis’ technique either.
Old 12-24-2020, 02:13 PM

I think it is commendable that you (OP) are concerned about doing things 'the right way' from the beginning. Having that overall approach will pay off big time in the future.

At the same time (coming from a recovering perfectionist) don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good. Take some instruction for awhile and pay attention to how inspired you are. Stop and switch to something else if it drops.

At your early stage, there are only a few things that could enhance or restrict your progress for years to come:

*playing posture (a few different approaches, but choose one that is ergonomic for you)
*fretting hand angle and position (some approaches will enable you to play longer than others)

I reject the notion that there are thousands of ways to play guitar - except in the didactic 'winning the argument' sense. There may be thousands of techniques that are idiosyncratic but effectively useless. Don't waste your time 'discovering' and learning these.

I remember when I had been playing for 6 years or so. I was in a band and thought I was hot. An older teenage musician heard our rehearsal and said I had a good grasp on music, but questioned why I didn't use my fretting hand pinky.

None of my peers played with their pinky. And this was 1972 so I had no access to videos of my guitar heroes. Still, I realized at that moment that this was something that could restrict me my entire life.

I embarked on an unlearning/relearning phase in order to incorporate my pinky into my playing. And in 6 months I had progressed to be the best guitarist in my high school.

I wish I knew who that older guitarist was. I consider their comment to be the most impactful guitar lesson I ever had, even though it lasted 30 seconds and they never knew they were a teacher.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 12-24-2020, 02:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music-N-Yarn View Post
My biggest concern about trying to teach myself guitar is proper technique, or ergonomics. I am over 50, and this body is aging, even though I never gave it permission to do that. Other aspects of teaching myself do not concern me. I have experience with piano, and mountain dulcimer, so can read music, and understand some theory.

A local lesson studio does things a little differently than I am used to. When I called for further information, the owner said they really do not offer the typical once a week lesson, but packages, and the smallest is two, hour long lessons per week. Okay, they are going after the serious student. Since technique is my biggest concern, two lessons a week appeals to me. The cost and lesson taking commitment is not a good fit right now though. I prefer in person lessons, because the teacher can see things better, and would be able to make some adjustments while I am playing.

Can anyone point me in the direction of online lessons, to get me started? I bought my only guitar in May, and it is driving me bonkers to not play it. I learned to play the C scale, but have not gone beyond that, out of fear of learning bad habits that just become harder to break due to well developed muscle memory.

Thanks for your input.
Hi,

A couple of thoughts:

1. No one teacher will suit everyone.
2, no "fixed programme or method will suit everyone - esp, those who already have some knowledge and/or style.
3. No musician got really famous/rich/honoured, by playing exactly the same as someone else.
4. there are "rules" in classical playing, but not in any other music genre.
5. In my experience (mainly of bluegrass camps) few really good platers are good teachers (perhaps because they can't remember what is was like to find stuff difficult).
6. There is no rule six.
7. I have taught, on and off for some years, (when asked) but in this strange year, I have been approached to teach via Zoom meetings, and found it a pretty effective way of communicating as there is, perhaps one degree of separation. I have helped a number of folks make real progress and/or learning what they wanted this year.
8. I don't read notation or use tablature.
9. I don't assume what people want to achieve, I observe them, ask them, agree the destination, and then mentor towards it.
10. I prefer weekly sessions but am flexible.
11. I don't insist on a specific number of meetings.
12. I'll accept payment after the session IF the "client" is satisfied.

and ...I can't count apparently.
Old 12-24-2020, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock View Post
Everyone is the world's greatest authority on their own opinion, so here's mine.

If you look at the multitude of fantastic guitar players out there in the world, both living and deceased, you can't help but notice just about as many playing styles as there are players. Some fingerpick with all five fingers, some just two, some anchor a pinkie, others free float, some play a hybrid style that involves fingerpicking along with a flat pick, some hold the flat pick one way, others totally differently, some learned to read music, others not a lick, and so on and so forth.

My point is that there is not one single way to finger a chord or use your fretting or fingerpicking/strumming hand or whatever, so why wait to play that guitar you have for fear of "not doing something correctly"? Unless your are planning to play classical guitar in the mode of Segovia, I'd be getting on with playing the guitar and learning chords or scales or whatever you want and let you eventual instructor work with what you have, offering advice on playing more efficiently or playing alternative chords or whatever rather than worrying about him or her making wholesale changes to your style.

I always wondered what would have happened if Lightnin' Hopkins or the Rev. Gary Davis or the like had gone in for lessons after having played for years and the instructor would have looked at the way they played and said, "No, no - not like that, like this."

So go play and have fun, time's a wastin' and unless you haven't already noticed by now, it goes faster all the time and waits for no one. There's more than one way to skin a cat, go skin your's your own way.
You are not wrong, and I appreciate your thoughts. Time certainly is flying by. I want to be able to play, comfortably, for as long as possible. Proper ergonomics should help with that wish.
Old 12-24-2020, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidbeinct View Post
I tend to agree with Spock, but everyone has their own best way to learn. Your desires describe Jamie Andreas to a T. Her website is https://www.guitarprinciples.com/

I tried her method and found her introductory lessons less than stimulating. Still I did find some good tips that I try to return to from time to time. She also admits that although she has strong beliefs about the right way to do things there are good players who don’t adhere to her methods. She specifically mentioned that Eddie Van Halen holds a pick “wrong” but said obviously it works for him. I don’t think she’d try to change Reverend Gary Davis’ technique either.
Thank you for the suggestion. When I looked for further information and reviews, I stumbled across some other sites that may be helpful too.
Old 12-24-2020, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Currie View Post
I think it is commendable that you (OP) are concerned about doing things 'the right way' from the beginning. Having that overall approach will pay off big time in the future.

At the same time (coming from a recovering perfectionist) don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good. Take some instruction for awhile and pay attention to how inspired you are. Stop and switch to something else if it drops.

At your early stage, there are only a few things that could enhance or restrict your progress for years to come:

*playing posture (a few different approaches, but choose one that is ergonomic for you)
*fretting hand angle and position (some approaches will enable you to play longer than others)

I reject the notion that there are thousands of ways to play guitar - except in the didactic 'winning the argument' sense. There may be thousands of techniques that are idiosyncratic but effectively useless. Don't waste your time 'discovering' and learning these.

I remember when I had been playing for 6 years or so. I was in a band and thought I was hot. An older teenage musician heard our rehearsal and said I had a good grasp on music, but questioned why I didn't use my fretting hand pinky.

None of my peers played with their pinky. And this was 1972 so I had no access to videos of my guitar heroes. Still, I realized at that moment that this was something that could restrict me my entire life.

I embarked on an unlearning/relearning phase in order to incorporate my pinky into my playing. And in 6 months I had progressed to be the best guitarist in my high school.

I wish I knew who that older guitarist was. I consider their comment to be the most impactful guitar lesson I ever had, even though it lasted 30 seconds and they never knew they were a teacher.

Recovering perfectionist here. Yeah, old habits dropped by for a little visit. Will comb through the archives here, looking for tips.
Old 12-24-2020, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Hi,

A couple of thoughts:

1. No one teacher will suit everyone.
2, no "fixed programme or method will suit everyone - esp, those who already have some knowledge and/or style.
3. No musician got really famous/rich/honoured, by playing exactly the same as someone else.
4. there are "rules" in classical playing, but not in any other music genre.
5. In my experience (mainly of bluegrass camps) few really good platers are good teachers (perhaps because they can't remember what is was like to find stuff difficult).
6. There is no rule six.
7. I have taught, on and off for some years, (when asked) but in this strange year, I have been approached to teach via Zoom meetings, and found it a pretty effective way of communicating as there is, perhaps one degree of separation. I have helped a number of folks make real progress and/or learning what they wanted this year.
8. I don't read notation or use tablature.
9. I don't assume what people want to achieve, I observe them, ask them, agree the destination, and then mentor towards it.
10. I prefer weekly sessions but am flexible.
11. I don't insist on a specific number of meetings.
12. I'll accept payment after the session IF the "client" is satisfied.

and ...I can't count apparently.
I do not want to be exactly like anyone else. They are already taken anyway. I do want whatever I develop to be based on healthy habits though. Will keep your Zoom lessons in mind.
Old 12-24-2020, 05:20 PM

Now that I have a variety of resources, I think I will dive into them, and see what makes sense to me. Will pick up my guitar again after not touching it for months, and get myself back to where I was. The next lesson was going from single notes to chords. Will see how continuing to learn on my own goes, and probably schedule some lessons after a few months.

Originally I wanted to take about a months worth of lessons with an emphasis on ergonomics, then go off on my own again for a few months. I figured I would return long enough to work on any bad habits I developed, and just check in every few months like that for a year or so. The local teacher with the package plan kind of pushed for two lessons a week, for two years. That seems extreme for someone like me who already has some music knowledge, and simply wants to be a couch player. An open mic night could be fun, or rare gig, but no dreams of going professional.
Old 12-25-2020, 09:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music-N-Yarn View Post

Thanks for your input.
I started at age 53 almost 8 years ago, was self taught for first 3-4 years and did well. I stayed away from YT videos not because there is not useful information there but I wanted structure that led to developing a good foundation. I signed on with JamPlay online service first and worked through a beginner acoustic course they offered with a teacher named Steve Eulberg. It was very structured and well done. I followed that up by taking the free beginner online guitar course offered by Justin Sandercoe. At the time, I did not know if I wanted to strum, flatpick, or fingerstyle and what was nice about the Justin course was that you got a good taste of all three. While working through the course material, I did a lot of play along to songs I liked (find the chords, strum along in time, listen and and have fun). By the time I finished Justin’s course structure I was pretty sure I wanted to focus more on fingerstyle. I found Mark Hanson’s website and fingerstyle material and started working on it. On Mark’s website, I saw that he offered lessons so I thought what the heck, let’s try it. I’ve now been his student for 5 years and I take a lesson from him every 2-3 weeks (via FaceTime, he is in Portland, I am in Louisiana). I plug my iPad into a 32” monitor and he’s bigger than life during the lesson.

I think it’s really important that whatever style of playing you pursue, that you spend most of your time working on songs. I try to do 80-90 percent song playing/practice and the rest being “woodshed” work. I’ve progressed enough with my fingerstyle technique that working with Mark, we find songs in the style I enjoy that challenge me and keep developing my technique. I play solo fingerstyle and it’s very nuanced in getting from the stage where you can “mechanically” play a song to the stage where your guitar sounds like a singer. It’s a tough but very gratifying journey.

If you find a teacher, give yourself time between lessons to work on what you and the teacher agree upon. Having a teacher whether in person or online is motivating and inspirational if you both have a good connection. My relationship with my teacher has grown from him being my mentor/teacher to also being a good friend.

Hope this helps.

Good luck!
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 12-25-2020, 11:51 AM
Charter Member

I like Artistworks a lot. I'm in Bryan Suttons bluegrass course class, Mike Marshalls mandolin, and Tony Trischka's banjo course. They are great because of the video exchange program they have there as well as the basic, intermediate, and advanced curriculum that each course has. Those guys are excellent at looking at video exchanges and pointing out what is going on with technique that can be bothering your playing, just really good advice from some great players and teachers. Right now they're having a 50% off their annual subscription, so for $140 (that's half off) a year you can really make your playing better if you apply yourself. But that 50% off isn't going to last much longer, it's been on for about a week.

happy holidays,

Debbie
Martin J-40 Adi custom 2018
Martin OM-28 Adi Gruhn Special
McPherson Sable
Fender American Professional II Telecaster
Fender American Professional II Stratocaster
Northfield Big Mon Engleman top
Northfield Big Mon Adirondack top
Companion custom woody banjo
Fender '68 custom Vibro Champ Reverb amp
Old 12-25-2020, 03:41 PM

I was using thumb and 2 fingers to fingerpick.
Finally got a teacher, he wanted me to use thumb and 3 fingers. So now I sometimes use thumb and 4 fingers. 2 years later, different teacher...wants me to use thumb and 2 fingers. I am getting older...so I told him no, I will not change as it takes seemingly forever go get something new down.

Couple toughts...

1. There are in fact many many ways to play.
2. Find a teacher you like!! Do whatever they want you to do.
3. Stick with it.

It took about a year to "unlearn" the thumb and 2 finger stuff.
Old 12-25-2020, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintBob View Post
I started at age 53 almost 8 years ago, was self taught for first 3-4 years and did well. I stayed away from YT videos not because there is not useful information there but I wanted structure that led to developing a good foundation. I signed on with JamPlay online service first and worked through a beginner acoustic course they offered with a teacher named Steve Eulberg. It was very structured and well done. I followed that up by taking the free beginner online guitar course offered by Justin Sandercoe. At the time, I did not know if I wanted to strum, flatpick, or fingerstyle and what was nice about the Justin course was that you got a good taste of all three. While working through the course material, I did a lot of play along to songs I liked (find the chords, strum along in time, listen and and have fun). By the time I finished Justin’s course structure I was pretty sure I wanted to focus more on fingerstyle. I found Mark Hanson’s website and fingerstyle material and started working on it. On Mark’s website, I saw that he offered lessons so I thought what the heck, let’s try it. I’ve now been his student for 5 years and I take a lesson from him every 2-3 weeks (via FaceTime, he is in Portland, I am in Louisiana). I plug my iPad into a 32” monitor and he’s bigger than life during the lesson.

I think it’s really important that whatever style of playing you pursue, that you spend most of your time working on songs. I try to do 80-90 percent song playing/practice and the rest being “woodshed” work. I’ve progressed enough with my fingerstyle technique that working with Mark, we find songs in the style I enjoy that challenge me and keep developing my technique. I play solo fingerstyle and it’s very nuanced in getting from the stage where you can “mechanically” play a song to the stage where your guitar sounds like a singer. It’s a tough but very gratifying journey.

If you find a teacher, give yourself time between lessons to work on what you and the teacher agree upon. Having a teacher whether in person or online is motivating and inspirational if you both have a good connection. My relationship with my teacher has grown from him being my mentor/teacher to also being a good friend.

Hope this helps.

Good luck!
You took guitar lessons for Steve Eulberg? I know him from the mountain dulcimer world! Another instrument I have that would really like me to spend some quality time with it, in a much larger quantity.

I am a little familiar with the Justin's Guitar website.

Thank you for all of your input. I will look into your suggestions further.
Old 12-25-2020, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieE View Post
I like Artistworks a lot. I'm in Bryan Suttons bluegrass course class, Mike Marshalls mandolin, and Tony Trischka's banjo course. They are great because of the video exchange program they have there as well as the basic, intermediate, and advanced curriculum that each course has. Those guys are excellent at looking at video exchanges and pointing out what is going on with technique that can be bothering your playing, just really good advice from some great players and teachers. Right now they're having a 50% off their annual subscription, so for $140 (that's half off) a year you can really make your playing better if you apply yourself. But that 50% off isn't going to last much longer, it's been on for about a week.

happy holidays,

Debbie
Thank you for the information. The current sale price for a year is less than a week would cost me from the local guy I talked to. Will have to give it a look.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write