The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 12-25-2020, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterM View Post
I was using thumb and 2 fingers to fingerpick.
Finally got a teacher, he wanted me to use thumb and 3 fingers. So now I sometimes use thumb and 4 fingers. 2 years later, different teacher...wants me to use thumb and 2 fingers. I am getting older...so I told him no, I will not change as it takes seemingly forever go get something new down.

Couple thoughts...

1. There are in fact many many ways to play.
2. Find a teacher you like!! Do whatever they want you to do.
3. Stick with it.

It took about a year to "unlearn" the thumb and 2 finger stuff.
Thank you for your input. Will certainly look around until I find a teacher I really like. Sticking with it will not be a problem.
Old 12-26-2020, 12:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music-N-Yarn View Post
You took guitar lessons for Steve Eulberg? I know him from the mountain dulcimer world! Another instrument I have that would really like me to spend some quality time with it, in a much larger quantity.

I am a little familiar with the Justin's Guitar website.

Thank you for all of your input. I will look into your suggestions further.
I took Steve’s Jamplay course.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 12-26-2020, 06:25 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
My biggest concern about trying to teach myself guitar is proper technique, or ergonomics. I am over 50, and this body is aging, even though I never gave it permission to do that. Other aspects of teaching myself do not concern me. I have experience with piano, and mountain dulcimer, so can read music, and understand some theory.

A local lesson studio does things a little differently than I am used to. When I called for further information, the owner said they really do not offer the typical once a week lesson, but packages, and the smallest is two, hour long lessons per week. Okay, they are going after the serious student. Since technique is my biggest concern, two lessons a week appeals to me. The cost and lesson taking commitment is not a good fit right now though. I prefer in person lessons, because the teacher can see things better, and would be able to make some adjustments while I am playing.

Can anyone point me in the direction of online lessons, to get me started? I bought my only guitar in May, and it is driving me bonkers to not play it. I learned to play the C scale, but have not gone beyond that, out of fear of learning bad habits that just become harder to break due to well developed muscle memory.

Thanks for your input.
M&Y,
You should not be required to commit to anything in terms of a lesson schedule.

You SHOULD have a teacher who is going to observe what you're all about in total terms; in real time. Someone who can tell you about how your posture is helping or hindering you, making suggestions and observing the response in terms of helping or hindering. Someone who can find out what kind of music you'd like to make while determining if you yet possess the ability to play THAT music.

You need real-time feedback from a teacher who does NOT practice 'My way or the highway', and you should not have to schedule your next lesson until you're good and ready.

You're 50 years old. This is extra credit, and it better be fun, not hard work that is distasteful.

If you work hard at it because it PLEASES you, THAT'S GOOD HARD WORK!

If you've only been playing since May, and have been avoiding picking up the guitar to avoid 'bad habits', that's a downward spiral with no positive outcome.

I've been teaching via Skype & Facetime since the 1990's, and I've never required a student to stick to a schedule, primarily because all the people who wanted to learn from me didn't want to be musicians: They simply wanted to play guitar, and be able to make music that appealed to their ears, and they didn't want to work on a pressure schedule.

Life doesn't always cooperate, as we well know.

Best regards,
Howard Emerson
https://www.howardemerson.com
Old 12-26-2020, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Emerson View Post
M&Y,
You should not be required to commit to anything in terms of a lesson schedule.

You SHOULD have a teacher who is going to observe what you're all about in total terms; in real time. Someone who can tell you about how your posture is helping or hindering you, making suggestions and observing the response in terms of helping or hindering. Someone who can find out what kind of music you'd like to make while determining if you yet possess the ability to play THAT music.

You need real-time feedback from a teacher who does NOT practice 'My way or the highway', and you should not have to schedule your next lesson until you're good and ready.

You're 50 years old. This is extra credit, and it better be fun, not hard work that is distasteful.

If you work hard at it because it PLEASES you, THAT'S GOOD HARD WORK!

If you've only been playing since May, and have been avoiding picking up the guitar to avoid 'bad habits', that's a downward spiral with no positive outcome.

I've been teaching via Skype & Facetime since the 1990's, and I've never required a student to stick to a schedule, primarily because all the people who wanted to learn from me didn't want to be musicians: They simply wanted to play guitar, and be able to make music that appealed to their ears, and they didn't want to work on a pressure schedule.

Life doesn't always cooperate, as we well know.

Best regards,
Howard Emerson
https://www.howardemerson.com
Thank you for your input. I bought two beginner books long before I bought a guitar. Started teaching myself using the one book that began with single notes. Each week I added the next string/ new notes, and by the end of a week I could play along very nicely with the included CD for that lesson. I learned the C scale, then took my guitar for a set up. When I got it back is when I put it on a stand and barely touched it, for a variety of reasons, including bad habits. I do want to learn good playing habits from the start, since breaking bad muscle memory is hard. Also just want to play. Told myself if I got through the complete, 3 in 1 book I started in a timely manner, that among my rewards was a new guitar. By then I would likely know what style of playing I enjoyed the most, and would hopefully have more hands on, or at least listening knowledge of different guitars.

I learning plan is forming thanks to everyone's insight. Greatly appreciated!
Old 12-26-2020, 06:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thank you for your input. I bought two beginner books long before I bought a guitar. Started teaching myself using the one book that began with single notes. Each week I added the next string/ new notes, and by the end of a week I could play along very nicely with the included CD for that lesson. I learned the C scale, then took my guitar for a set up. When I got it back is when I put it on a stand and barely touched it, for a variety of reasons, including bad habits. I do want to learn good playing habits from the start, since breaking bad muscle memory is hard. Also just want to play. Told myself if I got through the complete, 3 in 1 book I started in a timely manner, that among my rewards was a new guitar. By then I would likely know what style of playing I enjoyed the most, and would hopefully have more hands on, or at least listening knowledge of different guitars.

I learning plan is forming thanks to everyone's insight. Greatly appreciated!

I’ll leave you with what I think is wise advice I have received from many.

Don’t put a huge priority right now on learning theory and playing scales. Get some basic foundation and make it a priority to learn songs. I always have 5-6 songs I am actively playing/practicing/polishing and that is what gives me the greatest pleasure. Even my teacher advised me to learn only the music theory that serves you for what you are playing right now. When I take on a new song, I’ll make notes about it. What key is it in, what chords, what phrasing, etc. Learn the theory from the songs you play.

There’s no reason to not play as much as you want to now. Put a mirror in front of you so you can see your hands if that serves your needs. If you play slowly and thoughtfully, you can learn good habits on your own as you search for a teacher. EMBRACE and IMMERSE in your music and your instrument.

Good get em tiger!
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 12-27-2020, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintBob View Post
I’ll leave you with what I think is wise advice I have received from many.

Don’t put a huge priority right now on learning theory and playing scales. Get some basic foundation and make it a priority to learn songs. I always have 5-6 songs I am actively playing/practicing/polishing and that is what gives me the greatest pleasure. Even my teacher advised me to learn only the music theory that serves you for what you are playing right now. When I take on a new song, I’ll make notes about it. What key is it in, what chords, what phrasing, etc. Learn the theory from the songs you play.

There’s no reason to not play as much as you want to now. Put a mirror in front of you so you can see your hands if that serves your needs. If you play slowly and thoughtfully, you can learn good habits on your own as you search for a teacher. EMBRACE and IMMERSE in your music and your instrument.

Good get em tiger!
Thank you for your insight. I used a mirror to learn the C scale, and that was a huge help.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write