The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 11-29-2023, 07:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspiring View Post
How much spacing is there to expand the string spacing at the nut?
Not a lot at all. The nut width is 1 5/8. Strings are about 1/16 in from that total. And the fret ends are rounded so moving the bass string out will possibly get too close to the rounded fret ends. You could redo the whole nut and probably safely get 1 11/16. The nut pocket is a little wider. The edges of the nut slope inward slightly. There's a zero fret, so getting the nut slot depths "perfect" are not an issue. Someday I might mess with that.

The action came high. There was a lot of relief in the neck. I just tweaked the truss rod and it plays much nicer now. I don't know if I'll mess with the saddle. Probably. But that's a few days down the road.
Old 11-30-2023, 03:55 PM
Charter Member

I briefly plugged the Enya X3 Pro Mini into my amp was pleasantly surprised at how decent the piezo pickup sounded. A little edgy but very clear and full, especially for a little plastic guitar. And when I tried one of the native piezo IRs on my NUX Optima Air, it sounded VERY good. So much so, that I don't think I'll even consider messing with it. This thing sounds quite excellent out of the box (with the NUX help). I would plug this in most anywhere and be quite happy.

Of course I'd have to try it live somewhere to be totally convinced (am I ever ?), but I'm pleasantly surprised. (I said that already)
Old 11-30-2023, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
I briefly plugged the Enya X3 Pro Mini into my amp was pleasantly surprised at how decent the piezo pickup sounded. A little edgy but very clear and full, especially for a little plastic guitar. And when I tried one of the native piezo IRs on my NUX Optima Air, it sounded VERY good. So much so, that I don't think I'll even consider messing with it. This thing sounds quite excellent out of the box (with the NUX help). I would plug this in most anywhere and be quite happy.
Nice to hear that you like it. Do you find the output being quiet when plugged-in? As I wrote earlier, my Nova Go SP1 has some sort of hum when I plug it, but it's nothing I hear when I actually play.

/Per
Old 12-01-2023, 07:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
How much spacing is there to expand the string spacing at the nut?
PS - The X3 Pro Mini is what I have. The full bodied X3 lists a 1 3/4" nut with a 25.5" scale.
Old 12-01-2023, 08:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
PS - The X3 Pro Mini is what I have. The full bodied X3 lists a 1 3/4" nut with a 25.5" scale.
Interesting. I already have the x4 pro in a full size which I adjusted out to the spacing I need. I was looking at the mini for something more portable. Now you have me curious how the x3 pro compares to the x4 pro
Old 12-01-2023, 08:17 AM

well, it's 1 "X" less, innit?

/Nigel Tufnel
Rainsong Flamenco Nylon (SN#120)
Composite Acoustics 5iM-CE (GXi)
Cordoba Stage
Enya NexG 2, Mountain Guitar, Luna Tribal
Old 12-04-2023, 06:47 PM
Charter Member

I expect the neck and the pickups are the same X3 to X4. Just a guess. But the X3 is X-braced. Don’t know what kind of bracing is common for an off-center sound hole. I imagine the acoustic sound is different tween the two.
Old 12-05-2023, 06:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I expect the neck and the pickups are the same X3 to X4. Just a guess. But the X3 is X-braced. Don’t know what kind of bracing is common for an off-center sound hole. I imagine the acoustic sound is different tween the two.
I'm pretty sure the pickup system is different. On the x4 you have the mic blend control for dialing the internal mic mix with the under saddle. As to the neck, any chance you have calipers and can measure the first fret width and string spacing?
Old 12-05-2023, 03:56 PM
Charter Member

Caliper schmaliper. Here's a photo with a ruler.

I think I saw a picture somewhere of the pickup (can't find it now) that shows it has a UST and a body sensor somewhere on the underside.
Old 12-05-2023, 06:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Caliper schmaliper. Here's a photo with a ruler.

I think I saw a picture somewhere of the pickup (can't find it now) that shows it has a UST and a body sensor somewhere on the underside.
Thanks on the string spacing that is definitely showing up less than 1 3/8 for center to center. That means less than 34 mm which is definitely too small for me to get out to 37.5+ mm where I prefer it

Btw the x3 full size is actually listing a different nut width than the x4 pro full size (1 3/4 vs 1 11/16) which means the necks may actually be different.
Old 12-05-2023, 09:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I'm pretty sure the pickup system is different. On the x4 you have the mic blend control for dialing the internal mic mix with the under saddle. As to the neck, any chance you have calipers and can measure the first fret width and string spacing?
I looked around on the inside with a mirror and only saw the UST cable and their large preamp.
Old 12-06-2023, 08:21 AM

You should be able to see the actuator though?! In my Nova Go SP1 it's mounted on the bottom of the guitar, I would guess it's the same in the X3 Pro Mini!? In contrast, my LAG HyVibe has twin actuators mounted on the top. But I guess it's easier to manufacture the guitar if you put it on the bottom.

I have ordered a X3 Pro Mini BTW. I really like my Nova Go.

Per
Old 12-07-2023, 09:02 AM
Charter Member

I played the Enya out at an open mic last night. And I used the NUX Optima Air pedal on one of the native IRs that come with it. And the sound was WAY too Zingy for my tastes. Of course I lowered the action previously with the truss rod. And I'm a strong strummer. So it was most likely some string-fret noise being amplified through the pickup. But that means the native UST pickup in the Enya is just not going to be satisfactory for me.

So, I'm back to square one in getting this thing amplified to my taste. Which means I'll consider putting in my own Mag/SBT pickup in there. I might even remove the Enya pickup amplifier inside the guitar. I have no interest in reverb and FX from the thing. And it weighs a lot. The little guitar is not light with all the stuff they put inside.

But that all will be a project for another day.
Old 12-08-2023, 04:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I played the Enya out at an open mic last night. And I used the NUX Optima Air pedal on one of the native IRs that come with it. And the sound was WAY too Zingy for my tastes. Of course I lowered the action previously with the truss rod. And I'm a strong strummer. So it was most likely some string-fret noise being amplified through the pickup. But that means the native UST pickup in the Enya is just not going to be satisfactory for me.

So, I'm back to square one in getting this thing amplified to my taste. Which means I'll consider putting in my own Mag/SBT pickup in there. I might even remove the Enya pickup amplifier inside the guitar. I have no interest in reverb and FX from the thing. And it weighs a lot. The little guitar is not light with all the stuff they put inside.

But that all will be a project for another day.
I'd be curious how much weight taking out the effects unit would do.

Although as mentioned I'm pretty happy with the plugged in tone on the x4 with a fair bit of mic blend and I do use the effects unplugged.
Old 12-09-2023, 04:11 PM
Charter Member

I think I'll go into surgery in the next few days. Meaning I'll remove the strings and get inside to see a better look around. And maybe try some options. I'll let you know what transpires.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Tags
enya, guitar