The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 07-28-2023, 09:36 PM
Charter Member

Default Emerald X20 - Carbon Fiber Guitar - How musical is it?

I recently bought an Emerald X20 carbon fiber guitar during their 25% off sale commemorating 25 years in business. This is my first-ever carbon fiber guitar. My primary focus is to use it for my amplified gigging. Alternate benefits are the stability that carbon fiber offers. Does it beat my Martin D-18 or Collings D1T? Not for pure acoustic sound but it is so musical and nice to play! I hope it's OK to share this post here. Mods, feel free to move this to the appropriate forum. I felt it would be interesting to other 'acoustic' players who might not see this post otherwise.

I recorded a video through my Bose L1 Pro 8. Your thoughts are are welcome.

I denote an immediacy from the leading edge of my pick attack. But moreover I am really enjoying the musicality, sustain and impeccable intonation. The neck shape is so comfortable I never even thought twice about it. It has 1 3/4" nut width which is my preference as well. The frets are stainless and I have to say playing the guitar feels like skating on glass. It is so smooth. I love the body sculpting contours and the beveled armrest. Overall I am super impressed with this guitar and anticipate enjoying it as a gigging cutaway at my shows.

Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 07-29-2023, 07:52 AM
Charter Member

Beautiful guitar, wonderful tone and you clearly know how to play it. Very nice.
Old 07-29-2023, 09:17 AM
Charter Member

Really enjoyed your playing…I also enjoyed that smile on your face that turned into bliss from those lovely guitar sounds…
Old 07-29-2023, 10:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by K20C View Post
Beautiful guitar, wonderful tone and you clearly know how to play it. Very nice.
Thank you for the kind words. I am shocked how musical and inspiring it is to play.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 07-29-2023, 12:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groberts View Post
Thank you for the kind words. I am shocked how musical and inspiring it is to play.
Gary, it's too bad more players haven't discovered the wonderful tone and low maintenance of carbon fiber guitars. What you've got in your Emerald is IMHO all the cachet of the better-known wooden-guitar Irish brands with a more carefree playing experience. Also, IMHO, Emerald should be held in as high esteem as Lowden, McIlroy, and Avalon. Enjoy!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 07-29-2023, 12:46 PM

Glad you enjoy it! Most of my wood guitars are gone now, in favor of carbon fiber. I don't feel like I've given up anything, except refilling humidity devices and worry. My all-koa Taylor 424 still remains and one all-koa tenor ukulele, mostly because I am sentimental toward koa as a wood and play Hawaiian music a lot.

PS: I see that this has been moved here now from the main page. Too bad, as more players deserve to see and hear about composite guitars.
Old 07-29-2023, 02:47 PM
Charter Member

Nice playing .

Is that just the ghosts pups or do you also have the k&k blend?

I almost jumped on an x20 with the ghost/k&k combo on their recent sale, but I prefer a 25" or shorter scale. Which they never have in stock.
Old 07-29-2023, 03:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
Glad you enjoy it! Most of my wood guitars are gone now, in favor of carbon fiber. I don't feel like I've given up anything, except refilling humidity devices and worry. My all-koa Taylor 424 still remains and one all-koa tenor ukulele, mostly because I am sentimental toward koa as a wood and play Hawaiian music a lot.

PS: I see that this has been moved here now from the main page. Too bad, as more players deserve to see and hear about composite guitars.
Well, I for one, a relieved that the thread was moved back to "safe" territory within the carbon fiber sub-forum. We already have one famous guy in hot water over spilling the beans on classified materials.

OP - Beautiful guitar and playing! To answer the thread question, "How musical is it?", that depends on the player since the X20 certainly has plenty of musical potential as you demonstrated so well.

Earl49 - I am moving in a similar direction with regard to going from wood to carbon fiber. When my Kestrel arrives (hopefully Monday according to UPS), I will have completed my carbon fiber collection and can focus on moving on wood guitars. The exception, of course, is my Gibson Citation archtop.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 07-29-2023, 03:59 PM

Dang - I really don't have room or enough lifespan left to get more guitars, but my Emerald (X7) is 13 years old and I know they've changed a lot of things since then...
Old 07-29-2023, 04:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbang View Post
Nice playing .

Is that just the ghosts pups or do you also have the k&k blend?

I almost jumped on an x20 with the ghost/k&k combo on their recent sale, but I prefer a 25" or shorter scale. Which they never have in stock.
Hey BigBang, This was a blend of the Graphtech Ghost bridge Piezo pickup and the K&K blended. Mostly Ghost PU with some K&K mixed in for warmth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post

Thanks Earl. I am loving the playability and musicality. The sustain and intonation up and down the neck are really special. I don't see getting rid of my Collings D1 Traditional or Martin D-18 Cutaway. But I do see this guitar moving up the rotation. I have my first show tonight at a nice 5 star resort on the lounge. Good sounding room. So I will know after tonight if the X20 moves to first in my rotation or maybe 2nd. I'm bringing my Martin D18 Cutaway and my Collings D1 Traditional tonight to embrace and compare the differences in a gig setting. I play this particular venue monthly so I know it really well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
Gary, it's too bad more players haven't discovered the wonderful tone and low maintenance of carbon fiber guitars. What you've got in your Emerald is IMHO all the cachet of the better-known wooden-guitar Irish brands with a more carefree playing experience. Also, IMHO, Emerald should be held in as high esteem as Lowden, McIlroy, and Avalon. Enjoy!
Hey Ken, I agree the Emerald guitar deserves to be held in the same high esteem as the ones you mentioned. The purchase experience, the quality, the delivery, the correspondence have been truly first rate! I will also add Emerald has perhaps the best website I've experienced.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com

Last edited by Groberts; 07-29-2023 at 04:18 PM.
Old 07-29-2023, 04:48 PM

Great playing and tone Gary!

Yes, Emerald guitars offer something unique and are very musical!!
Old 07-30-2023, 09:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgaemc2 View Post
Great playing and tone Gary!

Yes, Emerald guitars offer something unique and are very musical!!
Thanks! I am super impressed. Just did my first live show with it at an upscale 4 diamond Loews Resort Hotel. Sounded great!
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 07-30-2023, 09:36 PM
Charter Member

I did my first gig last night with my new X20. It was as good as I anticipated given my testing and demos through my Bose L1 Pro 8 at home. Absolutely superb guitar. So comfortable to play!

Here was the lineup from my solo show last night Collings D1T (amazing guitar, Emerald X20, Martin DC-18E, Collings I-35LCV.

Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 07-30-2023, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groberts View Post
I did my first gig last night with my new X20. It was as good as I anticipated given my testing and demos through my Bose L1 Pro 8 at home. Absolutely superb guitar. So comfortable to play!

Here was the lineup from my solo show last night Collings D1T (amazing guitar, Emerald X20, Martin DC-18E, Collings I-35LCV.

What a gorgeous collection of guitars! The top on that x20 is amazing!
Old 07-31-2023, 10:22 AM
Charter Member

Gorgeous guitar and fabulous playing! Congrats to you, and welcome to the Emerald Club!!
  • Takamine 2006 Ltd.
  • Takamine EAC48C
  • Takamine ESF40C
  • Tama #3561 Dread
  • Whelan Dreadnought
  • Whelan Grand Auditorium
  • Yamaki YW-80

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber