The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 03-05-2024, 09:49 AM

Default I FINALLY DID IT!

I finally successfully bent Black Limba sides. It only took me 4 years.

My very first build was a Black Limba OM. I had a devil of the time, and I initially chalked it up to my first attempts at bending. I ended up ordering pre-bent sides from LMI (RIP). Since then, I've gone on to build several guitars using mahogany, cherry, walnut...no issues whatsoever bending those, not even with the figured cherry.

Last year I tried Black Limba again, on a 00, and had the same bad luck...cracks at the waist and the upper bout. I couldn't figure it out. I had the (erroneous) thought that I was bending too hot and drying the wood out. Incorrect. I bent at lower heat, no dice. I went through more sets than I'd care to admit before giving up.

Or so I thought.

Last night, I finally had success. Thicknessed to .80. Spritzed with water. Slat, aluminum foil, side, aluminum foil, blanket and slat at 275 degrees. Waited for it to heat up and took my time. The upper bout still made me a little nervous, but I went slow and easy. I got it bent and left it at 275 for about 10 minutes, then shut it off and left it in the bender overnight. I heated it back up this am for another 10 min, then let it cool. I have a perfectly bent side!

This one is a surprise gift for my daughter for her high school graduation, so I was elated for more than one reason, but still...made me happy to finally achieve success on this. Sometimes it's the little things. And the old adage, if you don't succeed...try, and try, and try, and try.....
Old 03-05-2024, 10:02 AM

I have some but have yet to use it, so it's known to be a difficult wood to bend then?
Old 03-06-2024, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
I have some but have yet to use it, so it's known to be a difficult wood to bend then?
For me? Yes! But reading up on it here and elsewhere, it seems I’m in the minority.
Old 03-06-2024, 07:37 AM

Default a thought

Ignorance is bliss: I'd never picked up on the idea that black limba was hard to bend, so I stuck it in my bender, no troubles. Done.
Old 03-06-2024, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phavriluk View Post
Ignorance is bliss: I'd never picked up on the idea that black limba was hard to bend, so I stuck it in my bender, no troubles. Done.
Hahaha, truly! I think if I'd have started with walnut or rosewood I'd have been none the wiser and it would have gone fine. It became a mental thing for me that unfortunately cost a good bit to figure out. Sigh. But man oh man, pulling those sides out unscathed this time was a good feeling!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair