The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 03-02-2024, 08:22 AM

Default We Need A Movie About The Life Of Stevie Ray Vaughan.

This week I pulled up some footage of SRV and went down a nice rabbit hole of concerts, interviews, etc. At some point I began to wonder: Why has there never been a film made about this man? I know there are documentaries but I'd love to see a film about SRV, like The Buddy Holly Story, et al. What about you?
Old 03-02-2024, 08:25 AM

I agree. He was incredibly talented and his rebound from addiction was something all should know about.
Old 03-02-2024, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdinterman View Post
I agree. He was incredibly talented and his rebound from addiction was something all should know about.
Exactly, the very arc of the story begs to be made into a film. Artist emerges with unusual skills, gains notoriety, almost wrecks life via substance abuse, gets clean and on the right path... and then dies. It's classic tragedy, the stuff great films are made of.
Old 03-02-2024, 12:08 PM

There is a documentary about SRV! And it's good.Now a major motion picture about him might be pretty boring?wake play guitar till bedtime repeat oh yeah,party play guitar sleep repeat year after year.But my gosh he was amazing.
Old 03-02-2024, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzman View Post
There is a documentary about SRV! And it's good.Now a major motion picture about him might be pretty boring?wake play guitar till bedtime repeat oh yeah,party play guitar sleep repeat year after year.But my gosh he was amazing.
I mentioned in the original post that there are documentaries about him already. I also don't see how a feature film about him would be boring. He grew up working class in a tough neighborhood (not far from where I live), basically teaches himself guitar, absolutely masters it, quits school and heads to Austin, becomes a guitar god, gets hooked on drugs, lives fast, gets famous, sells tons of records, gets hired by David Bowie, gives that up to play blues his own way, gets clean, dies young! How would that be a boring movie?
Old 03-02-2024, 01:29 PM

Default We Need A Movie About The Life Of Stevie Ray Vaughan.

I agree - since retirement I've been looking for things to do in my spare time...
Old 03-02-2024, 03:10 PM
Anticipation Junkie

As most likely know, there’s a new film out...”Bob Marley - One Love.” Last week, I watched an interview with both his son Ziggy who is the film’s producer, and the actor who portrayed Bob (I wondered why Ziggy, an artist in his own right, didn’t play his father). Seems like it’ll be interesting. Hope it’s good. There’s been lots of film and documentaries about Marley, but not a movie I don’t think. So, I agree that a movie about the life of SRV should be interesting. Brother Jimmie would likely be involved in some capacity.

Last edited by Acousticado; 03-03-2024 at 10:23 AM.
Old 03-02-2024, 05:24 PM

Movie makers, like all artists, can accomplish unlikely things. But.

Movies about folks mainly known as musicians tend to be tougher to do. There's the issues of have an actor "fake it" or using someone else's hands in closeup remain (SFX should have improved things more than it has perhaps.)

And there's something about watching music happening in real time (like seeing SRV live for example) that always seems hard to capture in a movie set being played dramatically. It can be done, but to my sensibilities it fails a whole lot of the time.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 03-02-2024, 05:37 PM
Charter Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddleglum View Post
I mentioned in the original post that there are documentaries about him already. I also don't see how a feature film about him would be boring. He grew up working class in a tough neighborhood (not far from where I live), basically teaches himself guitar, absolutely masters it, quits school and heads to Austin, becomes a guitar god, gets hooked on drugs, lives fast, gets famous, sells tons of records, gets hired by David Bowie, gives that up to play blues his own way, gets clean, dies young! How would that be a boring movie?
Well now that you've wrecked the ending for me, I don't know that I'd be interested in watching.
Old 03-02-2024, 08:34 PM

We as musicians tend to be much more aware of SRV than the general public. Honestly, I don’t think that there’s enough of market for a Stevie Ray Vaughn movie for it to be made, particularly this many years after his death.

whm
Old 03-03-2024, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddleglum View Post
oh I'd definitely watch it But like the Eagles song James Dean says " I know my life would look alright if I could see it on the silver screen "just don't know how big it would go over? But make no mistake he's my hero.
Old 03-03-2024, 08:27 AM

In the right hands, maybe. Biopics tend to be pretty paint-by-numbers, and they’re predictable and pretty tiresome generally. There have been some interesting ones like so “Priscilla” and “I’m Not There”, but the rest tend to follow the same arc and can’t/shouldn’t be trusted to be factual if facts are what you’re looking for. I’d rather spare SRV and myself. and watch a good documentary about him.
Old 03-03-2024, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfm612 View Post
In the right hands, maybe. Biopics tend to be pretty paint-by-numbers, and they’re predictable and pretty tiresome generally. There have been some interesting ones like so “Priscilla” and “I’m Not There”, but the rest tend to follow the same arc and can’t/shouldn’t be trusted to be factual if facts are what you’re looking for. I’d rather spare SRV and myself. and watch a good documentary about him.
I think all ya need is to watch his performance on Austin City Limits from early mid 80s I couldn't believe what i witnessed.or maybe live at the macabre or what ever that was. rare form!
Old 03-03-2024, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzman View Post
I think all ya need is to watch his performance on Austin City Limits from early mid 80s I couldn't believe what i witnessed.or maybe live at the macabre or what ever that was. rare form!
His last performance on there was almost unbelievable. Note when he takes the solo for Tightrope and how he really brings it all up from the depths. The mic even catches him groaning and just expressing raw soul verbally. All very primal. I’ve never seen anything like it. And his guitar truly takes on another voice during that particular solo. He was unusually gifted. Lots of people can play the same notes he has played, but none can play them in the same way.
Old 03-03-2024, 09:55 AM

Maybe after they make a movie about Jimi Hendrix.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic