The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars

Closed Thread

Old 12-29-2017, 02:01 PM

Default *SOLD* Preston Thompson - Mahogany Dreadnought D-MA (2017)

I took this superb guitar in trade from a musician who had two Thompsons (the other a Brazilian Rosewood 00 - 12 fret) and wanted a comparable priced mandolin I had for sale. When I posted my mandolin for sale locally, I had no intention of taking a trade - the whole reason for selling the mando, a vintage Martin 1-T uke (just sold on UkuleleUnderground), and several other instruments, was to help pay down my daughter's student loans as she enters grad school. But, when the young man contacted me with this Thompson, I just had to go take a look! He really fell for the mandolin, and the D-MA was so amazing … well there it went!
I thought I just might keep it and sell something else. Well, although the sound is glorious and powerful, and the craftsmanship is stunning, I find my old arthritic hands can't make the Dreadnought shift. When I play at all now, and it is less and less, I turn to the shorter scale and/or narrower necks. So I am back to my original priority, of raising some much needed cash!

It is everything that you have heard about Thompson guitars - fit and finish are as fine as any I have ever seen, the woods are gorgeous, the rich full tone and sonic clarity of individual notes is truly impressive. Individually hand crafted in Sisters, Oregon - here is the description directly from Preston Thompson Guitars:

"It’s all about sound, and that is what the Thompson Dreadnought specializes in. Thompson Dreadnoughts are built with the finest woods, materials and craftsmanship to deliver that sought after pre-war sound and playing feel.
These are powerful instruments that, when needed, stand up to the volume of a mandolin, fiddle and banjo. They have the bass response that provides an almost full orchestral backing to vocals. Their mid-range response and bright trebles take flatpicking and lead playing to new levels of achievement.
These are traditional instruments and all models are based on the famous 1937 Herringbone Dreadnought, owned by the late, great Charles Sawtelle of the award winning bluegrass band, Hot Rize. All feature …tops chosen for tap tone and stiffness, advanced X brace placement, hand graduated top thickness, …and time tested design features such as dovetail neck joints."

· Mahogany Back & Sides
· Adirondack (Red Spruce) top
· Solid headstock with Thompson mother of pearl logo inlay
· One Piece Mahogany Neck
· Figured Ebony headstock overlay
· Natural nitrocellulose lacquer finish
· Style 18 Concentric rings
· Tortoise Celluloid Binding
· Top purfling – BWBW
· Simple Ebony Back strip
· Nut – 1 3/4” – Strings spacing – 2 5/16”
· Tortoise Heel Cap
· Hand graduated top with advanced X bracing
· Pre-war scalloped Adirondack braces
· Old Style 1930’s dot position markers
· Waverly Nickel tuners with butterbean buttons
· Ebony fingerboard, bridge and bridge pins
· Bone nut and saddle
· Single action adjustable truss rod
· Medium Elixir Strings

Here is a review of the Mahogany Dreadnought D-MA at Acoustic Guitar Magazine http://acousticguitar.com/video-revi...rles-sawtelle/

And just take a look at some of the folks who are playing Preston Thompson Guitars ! http://pktguitars.com/featured-artists/

More "like New" than "Mint" - it's not even broken in and will be even more amazing as it opens up! Preston Thompson was kind enough to send me the original build sheet for this instrument which shows that it was ordered by a North Carolina music store in February of this year and in his email he said that it was delivered about 6 months later. So it is literally four months out of the store.

*SOLD* Price includes a custom fitting Deluxe Harptone hard case PayPal fees and shipping within continental US.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0491C.jpg (41.3 KB, 526 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0450.jpg (31.9 KB, 507 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0546A.jpg (29.7 KB, 512 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0470A.jpg (28.3 KB, 505 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0561.jpg (39.1 KB, 506 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0558A.jpg (25.3 KB, 506 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0552A.jpg (25.1 KB, 503 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0458A.jpg (39.4 KB, 498 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0457A.jpg (41.1 KB, 496 views)

Last edited by 78GurianJM; 01-06-2018 at 05:56 PM. Reason: Sold
Old 12-29-2017, 02:26 PM
Musical minimalist

Ugh.....didn't need to see this right now
One of the newer builders on the scene that really interests me, and a Mahogany dread with 2 5/16 saddle.

Old 12-29-2017, 02:43 PM

Great builder,,have been to his shop several times and last year attended one of the shop concerts they offer and a workshop afterward with one of the performing artists.
Great place to visit, just stopped in out of curiosity and was given a complete shop tour by Preston himself, very nice people there and they make you feel right at home. Can't go wrong with any of Preston's guitars! First rate all the way!
Ricky Skaggs and many others really value these guitars,,enough said.
Old 12-29-2017, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
Ugh.....didn't need to see this right now
One of the newer builders on the scene that really interests me, and a Mahogany dread with 2 5/16 saddle.
You are in serious trouble now Todd - If you look closely, I think you can see your name on that guitar!
Old 12-29-2017, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryM View Post
Great builder,,have been to his shop several times and last year attended one of the shop concerts they offer and a workshop afterward with one of the performing artists.
Great place to visit, just stopped in out of curiosity and was given a complete shop tour by Preston himself, very nice people there and they make you feel right at home. Can't go wrong with any of Preston's guitars! First rate all the way!
Ricky Skaggs and many others really value these guitars,,enough said.
Thanks for the feedback Jerry, I would love to visit his shop. They are definitely doing some beautiful work - my photos don't do this instrument justice at all! It was tricky shooting inside with lights. If the weather warms up a little I will try some outside in daylight.
Old 12-29-2017, 04:23 PM

Great looking Guitar, bet it sounds great too. Is the mahogany Honduran or possibly Cuban? The “striping” on the back looks somewhat “Cubanish” and I know Preston does a D-CMA, Cuban mahogany dread.

How would you describe the neck profile? Also, tonally, is it a pretty warm sounding guitar - deep rich low end, round or bright trebles? I realize it is still very new so it is going to mature. I have heard them described as a cross between a Collings and a Martin.
Old 12-29-2017, 06:00 PM

Excellent questions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTerral View Post
Great looking Guitar, bet it sounds great too. Is the mahogany Honduran or possibly Cuban? The “striping” on the back looks somewhat “Cubanish” and I know Preston does a D-CMA, Cuban mahogany dread.
Thanks it is really a beauty!

The wood is only listed as "Mahogany" which I believe is Honduras mahogany, and the Cuban is a custom option - but it has this fantastic smell like a Cuban cigar box!

Quote:
How would you describe the neck profile?
I think the neck is described as "traditional soft-V" in shape but modernized to be a little shallower than on the typical pre-war dreadnoughts. The thickness is listed as .840" on the build sheet. It is a very comfortable neck to play - even for my old hands!

Quote:
Also, tonally, is it a pretty warm sounding guitar - deep rich low end, round or bright trebles? I realize it is still very new so it is going to mature. I have heard them described as a cross between a Collings and a Martin.
Well, this is the thing about a fine guitar like this: the answer to all of those is "yes" - depending on how and where you pick, you can get all of those sounds and more - it definitely has the deep rich low end (bass runs are a blast!), and bright trebles by the bridge, rounder and warmer as you pick up towards the fretboard! Mine is quite similar to the one reviewed and played on the link to Acoustic Guitar magazine .com but he doesn't really play much away from the bridge. I personally think that if you listen to the Jake Workman demo on youTube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5j3nfDxqp0 the Thompson just buries the Collings!

I will try to get some audio up, but I am not set up to record at the moment.
Thanks, Christopher
Old 12-30-2017, 07:11 AM
Charter Member

Preston Thompson builds a wonderful guitar. I can’t say enough good things about him, or his builds.
Old 12-30-2017, 09:24 AM

Thanks for the endorsement of PKT Guitars, Kori - sounds like you are still happy with your 00 Thompson!
Old 12-30-2017, 09:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78GurianJM View Post
Thanks for the endorsement of PKT Guitars, Kori - sounds like you are still happy with your 00 Thompson!
Unfortunately, I ended up selling my Thompson 00 - ONLY because, I spec'd it wrong. I chose a larger nut and it was MY mistake and it about killed me to let it go. The guitar itself was the best 00 I have owned or played and with time, I will have Preston build me another one.

I am a Collings fan - no secret there. There is room for one other builder and it will be a Thompson. It ticks all the boxes for me; from beautiful fit and finish, to a great build experience with Preston, to a magical sounding guitar. Again, I think Preston is building some great guitars - there is good reason why he is getting a lot of recognition!

Last edited by Kh1967; 12-30-2017 at 09:50 AM.
Old 12-30-2017, 11:13 AM
Charter Member

I got to play an all hog OO recently by him, I was very impressed, supper nice vintage Martin vibe...
Old 12-31-2017, 11:57 AM

Thanks for the follow up Kori and Dave. I haven't had the opportunity to play a smaller bodied Thompson, but would certainly love to. Just not many around my area. Happy New Year's eve!
Old 12-31-2017, 07:55 PM
Charter Member

Nice looking Thompson guitar - You have a PM.
Old 01-01-2018, 02:30 PM

Please check my email to you just sent.
Alvarez
Fender Strat '69
Gibson 1942 Banner LG-2 Vintage Sunburst
Gibson SJ-200
Taylor Myrtlewood 12 string
Emerald X20
Godin Montreal w/piezo
Old 01-03-2018, 11:30 AM
Charter Member

This Thompson deserves a Bump. GLWS.