The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-18-2017, 06:14 PM

Default Curt Mangan round core string opinions

Anyone tried these? I'm not sure how new they are. It I just noticed them. Big fan of their standard strings but am also a big fan of dr sunbeams which are round core. Thoughts???
Old 09-15-2017, 09:42 AM

Default Curt Mangan Round CORE

I've been experimenting with them on three guitars for a couple of months and they have become my current favorites. I prefer the sustain and feel of round cores and play them exclusively...TIs, Newtone MC, Pyramids. The Mangans more than hold their own with these others. Curt suggested I try the 80/20s which I have but I still think I prefer the PBs. Also the 80/20s seemed to tarnish very quickly.
I order directly and get them in a day since they come from only 200 miles away.
If you sign up on their website you'll get notifications of specials that come out about twice a month. The current one is free shipping until next week.
Old 09-15-2017, 10:30 AM

They are great on some guitars. I've been using Curt's strings for years.
Old 09-15-2017, 10:32 AM

I love Curt Mangan coated for my J45custom rw
Old 09-15-2017, 11:12 AM
Charter Member

I really like the Curt Mangan hex core med-lights, my go to string, so when the round cores came out I thought for sure I would like them and ordered 10 sets of mediums. These sound great for a few days, but then become unbalanced on both my guitars, with too much loss in the highs and high-meds. I didn't realize at the time that there were mediums and true-mediums and I should probably have tried the true-mediums or stayed with the lights and will likely try these again, but I now have a 1/2 dozen or more sets to get rid of.
Old 09-15-2017, 01:56 PM

I've used the Hex Core's for years and recently put on the first round core Mangan's, specifically to test the lower tension claims touted on the forum regarding round core strings.

Like the other Mangan's, they're great, but I can't tell any difference in tension.

I clean these strings after each use and it's common for me to get months of use out of them and very little degradation in tone.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 11-07-2017, 04:42 AM

I like the Curt Mangan round core strings too. Round core feel and yet the hex core twang. But they die off fairly quickly. Lasted only a few weeks and the tone goes off. Feels and looks very similar to Newtone. I now prefer Throbak. Mellow/Bright. Brighter than most round core so far.
Old 11-07-2017, 06:32 AM

I too bought a couple of sets of the Mangan round core strings. I like them but I have always liked Mangan strings since they were new to the market and a friend brought me home a set from one of the guitar shows to try out. While I generally use Newtone strings I have to get them through the mail. This requires thinking ahead which is not always in the cards. I can, however, score the Mangan strings locally.
Old 11-07-2017, 06:45 AM

I haven't tried them on guitar. Have been using his strings on basses for many years. I tried him out of necessity because I have a few oddball instruments and stock strings aren't available. There was no real uncharge for the customization.
Old 11-07-2017, 06:48 AM

I am a big fan of the Sunbeams as well on certain guitars.
I would have to assume the Mangan's are very similar but you never know until you try, right?

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 11-07-2017, 06:57 AM

Mangans are not the same as Sunbeams oh no. They are rock solid. They don't buzz and I don't mean setup. Mangan strings are solid, not flabby. To the extent their hex core are quite abrasive. Their round cores are fine.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion