The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-18-2017, 03:31 PM

Default Does tuning down affect volume?

Or is it just tension and tone?

Last edited by Rosewood99; 08-18-2017 at 07:28 PM.
Old 08-18-2017, 04:09 PM

Interesting question

I perceive a decrease and of course frequencies are lower, but it's difficult to prove. I tend to hit the strings with more force when tuned to pitch than when tuned down a 1/2 step and even less for a whole step down, and that surely accounts for something in the volume department.

Do folks tend to pick closer to the bridge when tuned down, and does could that factor in.
Old 08-18-2017, 04:12 PM

I don't think it effects volume at all.
Old 08-18-2017, 04:22 PM

Yes, tuning down will decrease volume. There's less potential energy in the strings, but that doesn't mean you'll notice a difference, especially if you're not using ALL that potential energy (digging in).
et al
Old 08-18-2017, 04:22 PM

If you tuned down quite a lot it would right? I.e. You wouldn't have the string tension to effectively transmit vibration to the sound board. Therefore, if you tune down a little, I would guess there is some modest volume impact.
Old 08-18-2017, 04:49 PM
Get off my lawn kid

I haven't noticed any decrease in volume and I play in DADGAD and Csus2 often.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 08-18-2017, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulzoom View Post
Or is it just tension and tone?
Yes, it is physics. Less tension in the string means less energy when you pluck it. Less energy in the string, less energy in the top means less volume.

Now, of course, you can bump the volume back up by plucking more aggressively to a certain point, which is why some posters may not notice.

But all other things being equal, lower tension equals less volume.
Old 08-18-2017, 05:09 PM

I'm not highly educated in such matters but I would have reasoned the energy the string has would be what we give it.
Must we pick a looser string with less energy? We may choose to if the loose string buzzes more - or of course if increased fret buzz takes energy from the string, but otherwise?
Old 08-18-2017, 05:15 PM

the highest total tension does not necessarily = the most volume for any given guitar player. the force with which you can make the string move matters too, and the higher the tension the more force it takes. it's easier to play lower tension strings more aggressively, thus you may even see an increase in volume that is specific to you. so there's a balance in there and many factors contribute like how aggressive your playing style is, pick thickness, guitar shape, string gauge, etc.
Old 08-18-2017, 06:47 PM

First, Rodger the artful dodger wrote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger Knox View Post
Yes, tuning down will decrease volume. There's less potential energy in the strings, but that doesn't mean you'll notice a difference, especially if you're not using ALL that potential energy (digging in).
Imbler added:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imbler View Post
Yes, it is physics. Less tension in the string means less energy when you pluck it. Less energy in the string, less energy in the top means less volume.

Now, of course, you can bump the volume back up by plucking more aggressively to a certain point, which is why some posters may not notice.

But all other things being equal, lower tension equals less volume.
Then Cybershot made the salient point that:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ii Cybershot ii View Post
the highest total tension does not necessarily = the most volume for any given guitar player. the force with which you can make the string move matters too, and the higher the tension the more force it takes. it's easier to play lower tension strings more aggressively, thus you may even see an increase in volume that is specific to you. so there's a balance in there and many factors contribute like how aggressive your playing style is, pick thickness, guitar shape, string gauge, etc.
Paul, when I saw your thread title my first thought was: "Yes, of COURSE there's slightly less volume when you tune down, because you have less tension driving the top." But as Cybershot and others have mentioned, other factors come into play as well, so it's not as simple as it appears at first glance.

But yes, generally speaking, tuning down a step or two means less tension on the strings, which means having less energy driving the top.

Hope that makes sense.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 08-18-2017, 07:00 PM
Guest3224

Since humans have less sensitivity to low end hearing, it will be perceived as a decrease in volume, yes. Combine that with the tension driving the top. It's probably minor enough not to worry about it.
Old 08-18-2017, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looburst View Post
I don't think it effects volume at all.
Ahh, but do you feel it affects volume?
Old 08-18-2017, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tico View Post
Good catch. I always mix those two up (affect is the verb of course). Correction made.
Old 08-18-2017, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulzoom View Post
Good catch. I always mix those two up (affect is the verb of course). Correction made.
Actually, I think Looburst caught it first.

But thanks for being a good sport.
Nobody likes a Net Nanny Grammar Grump.
Now that I'm in my declining years I slip up more than I used to. Insure/ensure, there/their, your/you're, etc.

For some reason it's easier to spot booboos in someone else's posts. LOL

Last edited by Tico; 08-18-2017 at 07:59 PM.
Old 08-18-2017, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tico View Post
Trust me, it's all hogwash! Volume is about how much you pull out of said guitar, it has nothing to do with tuning down at all. If anything you get more volume, if you play like I do.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion