The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-18-2017, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
3notes, I'm not a Facebook guy, either, so I can't help you with that. But if you live in an urban area large enough to have a Craigslist listing, you can advertise on there on the musically related subforums that you'll looking for people to jam with. You can also check in with any music stores in your area, and maybe posts some fliers on community bulletin boards.

There are also often open mics held on off-nights at local bars, like on Sunday or Monday nights. There's often a lot of downright crappy music that has to be endured, but there are also good players who show up. Occasionally, at some open mics, I've met folks who've subsequently become good friends and steady picking buddies.

I don't know whether you enjoy bluegrass music, but bluegrassers tend to be more open towards jamming with strangers than a lot of other musicians. Even if you aren't an advanced guitarist, if you can play back up chords and keep time, you can take part in a bluegrass jam.

So keep an eye out for those gatherings. Bluegrass jams in the area might be something that the employees at your local music stores could be able to help you find.

Anyway, those are some ideas to start with - hope they help.

Wade Hampton Miller
Plus one on the bluegrass suggestion. I had long enjoyed listening to bluegrass more than I'd even tried to make myself much of a grasser or flatpicker. Let's say I was mostly a part-time folkie with some classical training who was mildly, you know, bluegrass-curious. A few years ago, I found myself with what was, for me, an unusual commute -- I was working out-of-town during the week and flying home on weekends. I hadn't played in any sort of group in years -- decades, at that point, but I found my way to a decidedly amateur bluegrass group and a larger community (which included some fine and very professional musicians). And it was great. Easy to work my way in and great to be there.

Overall, I'm very glad to be home but I do miss that group, and that scene, and I'm somewhat mystified that I haven't tried to keep it up locally.
Old 08-18-2017, 07:37 PM

https://www.meetup.com is one way of finding various music jams in your area. The closer you are to a metropolitan area, the more options you'll have.

Where I live in the Boston area, there a numerous folk, blues and bluegrass jams along with open mics that meet during the week or on weekends.
Old 08-18-2017, 08:08 PM

That's a very hard problem to solve.

And the harder question is after finding them, how does one find players he'd like to play with the second time.

Styles.....experience levels....tastes....age.....lots of variables.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 08-18-2017, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodallboy View Post
That's a very hard problem to solve.

And the harder question is after finding them, how does one find players he'd like to play with the second time.

Styles.....experience levels....tastes....age.....lots of variables.
Exactly. And this is probably why I have never made the effort. I pretty much play things that I call my own, which I believe would make things even more challenging.

I have great respect for the bands that have been playing together for years. It amazes me.
Old 08-18-2017, 11:03 PM

As Tom Waits would say, "fishin' for a good time starts with throwin' in your line."
Old 08-18-2017, 11:43 PM

I've jammed with others in Guitar Center and in the local park (I found a local drum circle on Meetup.com). I've met other musicians in the most unexpected places like at clothing stores, professional groups and most recently a woodworking course. I also found a local community band on Meetup and they happened to be on Facebook too. I've posted an ad on Craigslist in the past but that garnered no responses. Try whatever you can to reach out and find people.

I haven't jammed continuously with any one person. Most people that I met either work or personal lives took precedence over music eventually--me included.
Old 08-19-2017, 06:05 AM

I've had good luck with Bandmix. They have a free profile feature.

Eastman E10OO
Eastman E1D
Eastman E1OM
Martin 000RS1
Eastman PCH-GACE
Recording King RP-06
Blueridge BR-40T Tenor
Gold Tone TG10 Tenor
Old 08-19-2017, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3notes View Post
Exactly. And this is probably why I have never made the effort. I pretty much play things that I call my own, which I believe would make things even more challenging.

I have great respect for the bands that have been playing together for years. It amazes me.
You're absolutely correct.

I've played guitar for over 40 years and I only do my original music.

In doing a CD a few years ago, I invited several fine guitar players that I knew from bands in the area to come in and add some electric guitar parts.

Players that could replicate every note in a set list of cover songs couldn't find anything to play on my tunes. The last player came in and killed it! He was great and made my songs better with his talent.

He was a musician, and there is a difference between a musician and a guy/gal that plays _____ (freely substitute any instrument in this sentence).

Finding musicians is the tough part and it takes as in my example, a few auditions.

I'm lucky to play with a friend of about 20 years and we can sound like one guitar, even with me on electric. That's the payoff and I hope you find it!
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 08-19-2017, 08:19 AM

from personal experience....I find that it is difficult to find others to "mesh" with. Keep trying. Finding someone you can get along with AND play with is like looking for the perfect mate.
I have found that posting or responding on Craigslist can work, but you should be very specific about what you are looking for. Type of music, practice (or jam) place and duration.
There are those who can play anything with almost anyone, but I am not one of those folks. And I have played with a few very good players, but it was obvious that it was not going to work out. As a result, I started working on the way I was listing or responding to others. A lot like practice, but on the keyboard. Think about the way you are wording your posting or responding in person to a posting. Set the limits and goals as soon as you can with others. Encourage them to do the same with you.
No, it is not easy, but it is rewarding when you find someone. Keep looking.
Old 08-19-2017, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmountain View Post
I asked my instructor if he knew some guys I could play with. He put three of us together and now we play every week.

Good call!
Or if you don't take lessons, find out who gives them in your area and contact that person.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 08-19-2017, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bard Rocks View Post
In addition to open mikes, Facebook and Craigslist, there are often local folk clubs and jam sessions, also song circles...
Sometimes it's just a matter of being in the right place, at the right time, with the right people. FWIW opportunities don't always come up when/where you expect; I've done just about everything mentioned here over the last 50 years - CL, Meetup, Bandmix, song circles, folk clubs, open mics, index/business cards at local music stores, etc. - with comparatively little success. A couple thoughts:
  • If you can sing, join a church choir or classically-oriented chorus; IME the members are also instrumentalists as often as not - I've been with three successful groups that formed this way (a '70s CSNY/Eagles-type outfit, a doo-wop quartet, and a neo-traditional acoustic trio) - there's an instinctive understanding of how to build a musical arrangement, and the "who's going to sing this" question never arises...
  • Consider stepping outside your comfort zone and taking up another instrument; while there are always a few jazzers in the local drum-&-bugle corps or symphonic band, and pipe bands are a great place to meet people with a deep interest in Irish/Celtic music, it's not for everybody (and I really don't have the legs for kilts anyway ). That said, my wife and I joined a community uke group several months ago; along with the 20 or so retirees looking for something to fill up a weekday morning were two guys - multi-instrumentalists both - who spent 25+ years on the local bar-band scene, and a lovely lady with a magnificent American Songbook-style voice...
We'll be making our debut appearance in mid-September...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion