The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

View Poll Results: How much would you pay for a custom neck profile?
Nothing, I'm not that picky 41 33.33%
$100 19 15.45%
$200 23 18.70%
$300 29 23.58%
$400 1 0.81%
$500 5 4.07%
More than $500 5 4.07%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-16-2017, 10:59 PM

I'd just order a custom from Martin, now that I think about it.
Old 08-16-2017, 11:10 PM

Great question for a poll. I didn't vote because my answer wasn't represented as one of the options.

My answer is $0. Not because I don't care, but because I expect any guitar I buy to have a neck I like otherwise it's a deal breaker for me.

For custom builds from top tier luthiers, you can often get them to carve the neck you like. For larger manufacturers of guitars, in the price range that you are showing, I wouldn't spend the money to ensure those options. I'd rather find a used guitar with a neck profile I like than ordering something new with those specs.

Just my two cents.
Old 08-17-2017, 06:54 AM
Charter Member

I would love a basic 000-28 with a modified V. I could order the EC model, but I do not want his signature on my guitar. I like his music, just don't want his name on it.

I am not a fan of the modified low oval with performing artist taper. But then, I'm in the minority as it seems like most of Martin's standard line comes with that neck profile.

Sure you can go thru the custom shop, but it seems you're paying more for something that is not so custom. It's not like they don't have the neck, or the ability to (relatively) easily put it on a standard 000-28.

I'd pay around $300 for that ($400 map).
Old 08-17-2017, 07:19 AM

I have never really given it any thought as I see the neck carve as part of the package. I would be far more likely to have a square neck guitar I liked reshaped or buy some el cheapo parts guitar to snag the neck off of to slap on something else.
Old 08-17-2017, 07:39 AM

I checked "nothing," based only on revealed preference. I've never ordered a custom-built guitar. It's also true that I get along fine with various necks, but I wouldn't say that I just don't care about the neck profile, because there really are some necks I like better than others and some that I just don't like at all. It makes sense to me that somebody would pay a premium for a preferred neck profile -- and various other possible custom choices. It's possible that I'll order or commission a custom build someday. Still, well into my 50s, I've never done so.

Up to 2500 retail (that is, "street price," not MSRP) one finds many choices. Up to 2500 market price on a used guitar one finds many more. I suspect that most of us simply look for a guitar, as a whole, that we like, as is. OTOH, Martin and others seem to have a thriving custom and shop-model custom business so there's no reason to think it wouldn't work (or doesn't work) for necks.

Your own experience as a seller might be more informative than the responses to this sort of survey. When you special order guitars for your customers -- modifications to stock models from the factories, not custom commissions from solo luthiers -- what percentage specify a certain neck profile and what does it cost?
Old 08-17-2017, 09:26 AM

On a custom luthier build - probably zero as that is part of the process.

For more of a production style guitar where one needs to reprogram the CNC machine to carve it to what you want
and that particular neck needs to follow the guitar thru the complete process +/- $100-200.

I sold a great guitar because of the neck profile - would have liked to have kept it.
The cost to reprofile the neck was somewhat cost prohibitive so I decided to pass it along to one who liked the neck.
Old 08-17-2017, 09:41 AM

I voted $100, which is the closest answer to nothing. I am a bit picky, but address that issue by not buying certain manufacturers that have been known to not agree with my left hand. Sold off some really nice guitars in the learning process, but now I know where to go -- and where NOT to.
Old 08-17-2017, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djg View Post
...Your own experience as a seller might be more informative than the responses to this sort of survey. When you special order guitars for your customers -- modifications to stock models from the factories, not custom commissions from solo luthiers -- what percentage specify a certain neck profile and what does it cost?
Interestingly enough, I was thinking about this yesterday. My experience mirrors the poll rather closely as far as what folks are willing to pay for a custom neck profile, but the percentage of people who bring up neck profile when special ordering a guitar is very small.
Old 08-17-2017, 10:16 AM

Martin makes a lot of models that are nearly 100% of what I'd want out of a particular body style. However, there are a few models that I'd want to change one or two things before I bought them.

For example, I LOVE the look of the GPCPA1 Plus, but I absolutely do not want the electronics. To order that model without electronics would take months and cost $500-800 more depending on a few estimates I've gathered.
Old 08-18-2017, 05:07 PM

Does anyone have a ball park number to change a 00-28 martin to a custom with a 1 7/8 inch neck with mod v or mod low oval neck being only change? I will be buying either custom as above or 00-28VS. Love this thread jt
Old 08-18-2017, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtwine View Post
Does anyone have a ball park number to change a 00-28 martin to a custom with a 1 7/8 inch neck with mod v or mod low oval neck being only change? I will be buying either custom as above or 00-28VS. Love this thread jt
Sure, a neck change adds a few hundred to a custom Martin, but it will need to be full custom, so you are looking at a six month lead time
Old 08-18-2017, 08:41 PM

I guess first I would need to develop the opinion that I needed such a thing. Not saying that could never happen, but I just can't picture it.
Seagull Natural Elements Dreadnaught
Taylor 418e
Taylor 514ce LTD
Old 08-18-2017, 11:50 PM

I can't really say a price. The neck means so much to me. It's a dealbreaker if the profile doesn't mesh well with me regardless of the guitar's tone and fit otherwise. I'd pay a lot more if I can get an acoustic with a similar neck profile as thin as Ibanez's Wizard 3. I'd pay as much as I could afford to get close to it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion