The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-14-2017, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizardb View Post
Chances of me paying $40 for a set of strings or $40 or more for a pick are less than zero. I learned with Black Diamond Strings and the picks the music store gave out for free. I use D'Addario strings now and I spend a little more for the Primetone picks.
I'm sure spending more for strings and picks won't improve my playing anyway.
We'll never know.
Old 08-14-2017, 01:36 PM

I might be tempted to try them. I have modest guitars compared to most here, I wouldn't expect the reaction here, this isn't that much money to try as an experiment.

I don't understand how they're going to be any easier/different to play as the marketing claims if they have exactly the same tension as PB strings in 12-53/12-54.
Old 08-14-2017, 01:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFP55 View Post
$39.99/set??? That titanium better make my fingers move like Clapton's...

https://www.martinguitar.com/1833-sh..._hsmi=55262704

Funny, I bought a set because I was trying to learn a Clapton song and all the barre chords were killing me, so I tried the Titaniums because they promised lower tension. After I put them on, I'm able to play the song... I didn't even realize it was the strings!
Old 08-14-2017, 01:44 PM

I'm excited to try them! But I do enjoy changing strings.
Old 08-14-2017, 01:47 PM
Charter Member

Yes, they are serious. I purchased a set, and put them on my Martin D-28 Marquis. They are pretty darned close to the Lifespan SPs I had before, which were starting to lose some of their low end. I am tracking how long they last and will see how well they hold up. Reports I've heard are they keep in tune a very long time, and their tone holds up especially well for a long time. If you are replacing D'Addarios or Elixirs, then paying 3x might be worth it if they last 3x longer and have the tone you're looking for.
2017 Eastman E10 OM
Old 08-14-2017, 01:48 PM
Charter Member

Mine replaced a set of year old Lifespan Strings.

At least to my untrained ear, the Bass strings in the titanium set aren't as bright as the bass strings in the Lifespan set.

The titaniums are nicely balanced overall and the trebles are very chime like. Of course two of those are stainless steel, not titanium.
Old 08-14-2017, 02:01 PM

They sound great on my A5R with my $5 ebony pick.

I truly like the bullet ends (instead of ball ends) since my bridge pins are a hair too short.

The string tension is lower, string clarity is great, sustain better than it was with Ernie Ball aluminum bronze I had on it last and way better tone than the factory Elixirs.

FWIW, though $40 is a high price, so is $1500 for a guitar, so is $2000 for a pedal board, so is $600 for a mic, so is $75 for a setup, etc. etc.

At the end of the day, many of us are chasing that perfect tone and there are things we will and will not do to get it. Don Alder was said to stuff towels into his $3000 Yamaha LLX36C. The point is, for some (including me) we are willing to try a $40 set of strings. My local Sam Ash had them in stock, I have tried over a dozen different string sets, and was willing and arguably able to buy the strings.

I wonder how different the response would be if we were talking about $200 tuning machines - oh wait, there have been threads about those too. Different strokes for different folks.

I bought them. I like them. Am I likely to buy them again? For the guitar they're on, probably.

My 2c.
Old 08-14-2017, 02:30 PM

From what i have been reading about them, I am likely to give them a shot.
Old 08-14-2017, 02:32 PM

These are your basic Pure Nickel Wound strings with a Titanium Round Core. Last time I looked, I paid $5.71 for a pack of John Pearse Pure Nickel Wound Acoustic-Electric strings with a steel core.

They last as long as the pure nickel wraps are not worn out. That applies equally to steel core pure nickel wraps and titanium core pure nickel wraps. So, the core material really makes little difference in longevity. Any steel round core string is easier to fret than hexcore. The titanium round core does not change that much given the gauges.

The precaution not to cut the ends before bringing them to pitch applies. Painful on a steel round core set costing $9 to see it unravel. Very painful on a $39.95 set.

Last edited by Jabberwocky; 08-14-2017 at 03:42 PM.
Old 08-14-2017, 02:39 PM

Well I play electric bass, so it wouldn't he the most expensive set of strings I ever bought.

I wonder if there will be a 12-string set? Something less likely to break an octave G would be a blessing, and I hate changing strings on 12-string guitars.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 08-14-2017, 02:48 PM

I like Monels, and I also like round core (typically have a bit more shimmer)...these may be 'just right'.
Old 08-14-2017, 02:49 PM

The price seems about right.

Bronze is about $1.28 a pound

Brass is about $1.60 a pound

Copper is about $2.40 a pound

Titanium is about $30.00 a pound.
Old 08-14-2017, 02:54 PM

what makes a guitar string A last longer than guitar string B?

My observations over the last 30 years is not the string or company but what gunk comes out of a person's hands.

Some guys can easily kill a set of strings in one night of playing. Some others, such as myself, can use the same set of $4 D'Addario PB acoustics or steel electrics for 1 year and not lose much. I'll lose more on the acoustic side of things but in reality they lose that new string chime fairly quickly but they don't lose anything else and I'm not always into that new string chime.

I just changed a D'Addario set off of my PRS that have been on there for about 11 months with heavy playing/practicing and gigging. I slapped on a new set last week and little to no sonic difference. They sound the same unplugged and plugged in as the 11 month old set.

I used to play in a band with a guy who'd kill a set a night an on top of that his strings would get a green tarnish junk on them, as well as on his frets. I've never had anything close to green on any strings or frets in my life-even after gigs or practice with lots of sweat. He had that corrosion on every guitar he owned. His hands emitted pure evil gunk.
Old 08-14-2017, 03:24 PM

They are very good.
Stay in tune better than any string I can remember.
Martin have called them 'Light' gauge but they are closer to 'Light Top-Medium Bottom'.
.012 - .016 - .027 - .034 - .044 - .055
Had them on for over 4 months now - no signs of wear tonally or visually.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 08-14-2017, 03:57 PM
Charter Member

I think steel string cores are typically coated, like with nickel, or are stainless, so I'm not buying the corrosion resistance part. Besides, at least for me, I'm changing a string long before it corrodes, because by then it has oils from my fingers between the wraps, it is deformed slightly above many of the frets, and it has lost it's sparkle.
'82 Fender Musicmaster bass
'15 Breedlove Premier OF mandolin
Marshall JVM210c amp plus a bunch of stompboxes and misc. gear

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion