The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-15-2017, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhunter View Post
He shouldn't need to push it. None of these amps are going to be great. My guess is the AC will get the job done as well as the others and with a better form factor.

hunter
Got to disagree with this. The Mobile AC will sound far worse at any volume and cost more too.
Old 08-15-2017, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyg1 View Post
Got to disagree with this. The Mobile AC will sound far worse at any volume and cost more too.
First where are you getting your information on cost? The VOX is the same price as the AC ~ $124 to $129. Batteries for the AC are cheaper and lighter. Second, the sound is a matter of taste. I don't really like either one and there isn't enough difference to matter. I had the Vox predecessor DA5 and gave it away. The Mini 3 sound is not even as good as the DA5. Kept my Mobile Cube. The AC form factor and weight is better and it will sound as good or better.

hunter
Old 08-15-2017, 02:49 PM

Quote:
He shouldn't need to push it. None of these amps are going to be great. My guess is the AC will get the job done as well as the others and with a better form factor.

hunter
I agree the AC will get the job done, I disagree about the statement about sounding "great". Of course, none will perform like Bose line array, or even a Cube Ex, but I do own a mobile cube and the Passport. The mobile cube is smaller and lighter - thats a big plus if you are carrying it. The Passport, on the other hand, is a pretty darn good little system IMO and while I wouldn't use the term great, per se, it's pretty unbelievable for the money and far more versatile.

Weight concern - go with the Mobile AC.
Tone concern - go with a Passport

Again, not trying to be argumentative, but these are my opinions and are based on ownership and live use.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 08-15-2017, 03:28 PM

I'll have to give the Passport Mini a look. My Micro Cube input jack is on its last legs and I'll probably just replace the amp when it gives up. The Passport Mini looks like a good comp to the Micro Cube with the added benefit of an XLR. I am not familiar with that particular version. I was an early adopter of mini amps and went through a few. I recognize their place but have no illusions about what the limitations are. Designs are getting better but I doubt the Passport is significantly more capable than other products of similar design. I have been leaning toward a Yamaha THR5 but haven't finalized so I'll add the Passport to the list.

I have not been thrilled with my Mobile Cube (not the AC BTW) but as a practice and travel amp it has met my needs. The version I have is more versatile than the AC but still has limitations and I doubt it sounds any better. Fortunately I traded in to it and don't have a big investment. It provides a way to make guitar louder with a minimum of hassle. I just dug mine out as a practice amp for an upcoming road trip. Throw the SLG200 and the Mobile Cube in the car and I have a full practice rig that barely even dents the available cargo space. And I can practice electric is I want to take up a little more space.

hunter
Old 08-15-2017, 04:41 PM

Quote:
I'll have to give the Passport Mini a look. My Micro Cube input jack is on its last legs and I'll probably just replace the amp when it gives up. The Passport Mini looks like a good comp to the Micro Cube with the added benefit of an XLR. I am not familiar with that particular version. I was an early adopter of mini amps and went through a few. I recognize their place but have no illusions about what the limitations are. Designs are getting better but I doubt the Passport is significantly more capable than other products of similar design. I have been leaning toward a Yamaha THR5 but haven't finalized so I'll add the Passport to the list.

I have not been thrilled with my Mobile Cube (not the AC BTW) but as a practice and travel amp it has met my needs. The version I have is more versatile than the AC but still has limitations and I doubt it sounds any better. Fortunately I traded in to it and don't have a big investment. It provides a way to make guitar louder with a minimum of hassle. I just dug mine out as a practice amp for an upcoming road trip. Throw the SLG200 and the Mobile Cube in the car and I have a full practice rig that barely even dents the available cargo space. And I can practice electric is I want to take up a little more space.

hunter
Hi Hunter, The Yamaha stuff is really nice, to be sure, but I think checking out the Passport first (if possible) is a really good idea. It stands toe to toe with my Laney Cub 10 and my buddy's Blackstar HT-5R. Incredibly versatile and warm, without a hint of boxiness in any of the electric tones. IMO, as good or better than the Yamaha THR5 or 10, but i have only played through these a few times, so take this w/a grain of salt. At $149, I don't think there is another unit that can compete.

If you have a big voice and are used to "eating the mic", it can be finicky and needs a bit more finesse, but the vocal tone is actually pretty good too once eq'ed. The Fender Fuse software makes this little guy a beast, seriously. I wouldn't hesitate to use it mic'ed for a large electric gig - the tone is just that good.

I had to seriously tweak the acoustic settings, as I have passive JJB's, but it would probably do okay with any guitar with a preamp. The acoustic modeling is pretty lame though (parlor, dread, jumbo) - just the same stuff with different eq's and a waste of available space IMO.

Have a good one.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 08-15-2017, 11:12 PM

Quote:
First where are you getting your information on cost? The VOX is the same price as the AC ~ $124 to $129. Batteries for the AC are cheaper and lighter. Second, the sound is a matter of taste. I don't really like either one and there isn't enough difference to matter. I had the Vox predecessor DA5 and gave it away. The Mini 3 sound is not even as good as the DA5. Kept my Mobile Cube. The AC form factor and weight is better and it will sound as good or better.

hunter
Having used both the Mobile AC and having owned and used both generations of the Mini3, I can say with direct certainty that the Mobile AC sounds worse, ffar worse.

The Vox costs 119, while not a whole lot cheaper than 129, its still almost 10%.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification