The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 07-18-2017, 07:55 PM
Charter Member

Default Mark Hanson appreciation

I started my fingerpicking journey in January with Mark's intro to Travis picking book/cd. The two pieces I liked best are his simple arrangement of Freight Train and his original Over and Out Rag. While I have now gravitated to other instructors, I still play these 2 tunes as my warm-up every time I play (just not as fast as Mark!)

Recording is my Ibanez and an old iPhone. Sorry about the bottom end, I'm a foot stomper.

Mark really instilled a love of the style in me, and I'm grateful to him and to those on AGF who recommended him.

Thanks for listening!

https://soundcloud.com/user-16619491...017-9-27-00-pm
Old 07-18-2017, 08:13 PM
Charter Member

Good job Bob! Eventually I'll circle back around to playing some of his pieces. Thanks for sharing.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 07-18-2017, 08:24 PM
Charter Member

Thanks Barry! I learn better the old school way, video is hard for me. Mark does a great job with his books, and the pieces get progressively more challenging.

BTW your recent clip 3 on soundcloud sounds like the beginning of a great tune!
Old 07-19-2017, 12:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeve21 View Post
I started my fingerpicking journey in January with Mark's intro to Travis picking book/cd. The two pieces I liked best are his simple arrangement of Freight Train and his original Over and Out Rag. While I have now gravitated to other instructors, I still play these 2 tunes as my warm-up every time I play (just not as fast as Mark!)

Recording is my Ibanez and an old iPhone. Sorry about the bottom end, I'm a foot stomper.

Mark really instilled a love of the style in me, and I'm grateful to him and to those on AGF who recommended him.

Thanks for listening!

https://soundcloud.com/user-16619491...017-9-27-00-pm

Nice! I am working on Over and Out Rag as well, and this motivates me to get it in recording shape. Thanks for sharing.
Old 07-19-2017, 07:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueser100 View Post
Nice! I am working on Over and Out Rag as well, and this motivates me to get it in recording shape. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks Blueser! Over and Out was the second tune I learned, and I struggled with it for a long time, especially the second section. I really doubted that I would ever get it, and when I did I felt like I was on my way
Old 07-19-2017, 08:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks Blueser! Over and Out was the second tune I learned, and I struggled with it for a long time, especially the second section. I really doubted that I would ever get it, and when I did I felt like I was on my way
I almost never even attempted Over and Out Rag because Hesitation Blues comes before it in the book and seems harder. I got discouraged trying to learn it and put the book away for a long time. It has been fun returning to Mark's materials because that is how I learned to Travis puck and ultimately to be able to play some of my favorite songs.
Old 07-19-2017, 08:21 AM
Charter Member

Your ''Freight Train'' sounded beautiful. I guess I'm about 2 months into this finger picking adventure and loving the challenge. It's funny that I can play something really close to perfectly one day and then not come close for a week. Big fun, great work-out for my 67 year old brain.
Old 07-19-2017, 08:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueser100 View Post
I almost never even attempted Over and Out Rag because Hesitation Blues comes before it in the book and seems harder. I got discouraged trying to learn it and put the book away for a long time. It has been fun returning to Mark's materials because that is how I learned to Travis puck and ultimately to be able to play some of my favorite songs.
I skipped Hesitation! It is definitely tougher than Over and Out for me. Had trouble hearing the guitar behind the singing in the recording. Have since sought out other versions, and have just last night successfully mastered the first measure It's on my list.....
Old 07-19-2017, 08:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
Your ''Freight Train'' sounded beautiful. I guess I'm about 2 months into this finger picking adventure and loving the challenge. It's funny that I can play something really close to perfectly one day and then not come close for a week. Big fun, great work-out for my 67 year old brain.
Thanks lowrider! Your are not alone, progress is not incremental. Lot's of ups and downs. I've been tracking your progress in some other threads and you are doing great. Sounds like you have made a new habit and if you stick with it things will come.

My pace is only about a song a month and I'm ok with that. Based on what I hear from others whose playing I really like on show and tell this is a 5 year project to get half way decent, and that would give me 60 tunes!

I'm about to be away from the guitar for 2 weeks and I'm not really worried...I figure my brain will catch up to what I have been force feeding it with inconsistent results for the past 7 months!
Old 07-19-2017, 08:58 AM
Charter Member

Great thread... I have really enjoyed Mark's two fingerstyle books over the years. The first of Mark's arrangements I learned was, "Key to the Kingdom." I never think of it by that name though. It was taught to me by Mark's playing partner, Doug Smith, at the Swannanoa Gathering years ago. When Doug played it, he finished with a big grin and announced that he just couldn't play that tune without smiling from ear to ear! So, I call it, "The Smiley Song." That has become my primary warm-up tune.

Being a fan of Libba Cotten, I couldn't believe I had never learned, "Freight Train." So, I pulled out his book and learned that one pretty quickly. I think his books and arrangements are excellent. You've motivated me to take a look at, "Over and Out."

Thanks, Bob.

Last edited by Kerbie; 07-19-2017 at 09:39 AM. Reason: Forgot to add, "The Smiley Song"
Old 07-19-2017, 09:33 AM
Charter Member

Thanks Kerbie!

Mark's simple arrangement of Freight Train is my warm up and "smile song." He has a more complex version in his Art of Fingerpicking book.

I've got 3 of Mark's books, but never took a look at Key to the Kingdom (I assume it is in one of them).

I'm going to give it a go. Right now I'm working on some Woody Mann arrangements-- Big Bill Broonzy and Mississippi John Hurt tunes. Playing that stuff at performance tempo exceeds my ability now.... and I need to give it a rest for a while so what I've learned can penetrate my brain

I appreciate your comments and all the feedback from everyone. AGF has been great for me, as I don't have a teacher or much chance to play with others. The give and take here, even when I'm not an active participant, keeps my interest level high.
Old 07-19-2017, 09:43 AM
Charter Member

Bob, if you want to play, "Key to the Kingdom," and can't find it, drop me a PM. Somewhere in my Swannanoa stuff, I have the tabs I can send you. Nice little tune in A minor.

I keep hearing about Woody Mann's arrangements... I've got to check them out.

You should come down to the Swannanoa Gathering sometime. It's a great week of music and I always learn a ton!
Old 07-19-2017, 09:53 AM

Quote:
I skipped Hesitation! It is definitely tougher than Over and Out for me. Had trouble hearing the guitar behind the singing in the recording.
One hint for hearing the guitar that sometimes works: play only the left (or right) channel, instead of 'stereo" mode. For instance, bringing up the slow version of Hesitation Blues in VLC media player, going to the Audio menu and selecting "Stereo Mode->Left" puts the voice in the background and lets me hear the guitar part much better. "Stereo Mode->Right" accentuates the voice part, no surprise there. -)

I hope the idea helps! It's still a tricky piece, I find the notation confusing with so many held notes... better to just notate as 8th notes and use the ear to let them ring, in my opinion. -)
Old 07-19-2017, 10:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
Bob, if you want to play, "Key to the Kingdom," and can't find it, drop me a PM. Somewhere in my Swannanoa stuff, I have the tabs I can send you. Nice little tune in A minor.

I keep hearing about Woody Mann's arrangements... I've got to check them out.

You should come down to the Swannanoa Gathering sometime. It's a great week of music and I always learn a ton!
Wow, the Swannanoa instructors and course offerings are fantastic...and I have a daughter in Charlotte, too.

I think it was J-Doug who turned me on to this Woody Mann book (includes a link so you can hear him play the tunes). There is a lifetime worth of material in it for me

https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Acou...1S51AR3ESA0VSS

I also have this one which only has a few tunes, but includes a DVD if you are a video learner (I'm not very good at watching, I'd rather listen and use the tab). I'm working on Saturday Night Rub at present.

https://www.amazon.com/Art-Acoustic-.../dp/0825603471
Old 07-19-2017, 10:06 AM
Charter Member

Well, that's easy, Bob... fly to CLT and drive a couple hours to Swannanoa. Come on down...

I think J-Doug told me about that book. Thanks for telling me about both. I think they're in my future.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write