The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-06-2017, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin666 View Post
I thought this was a about beer, but the same principles apply. Some prefer light beer, but I like mine strong and dark.
so Mediums?

'71 Guild D25
'83 Guild D35
'98 Guild F30r
Old 06-06-2017, 02:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlburger View Post
Ok, so I am new to guitar (only been playing "officially for 7 months or so). The guitar I bought originally came with medium gauge strings and I was told to replace them with light gauge (which by the way is easier on my fingers). However, when I went to buy light gauge strings I saw they made extra light strings as well. So the question is what's the difference between the two? Why was I not told to buy them? Do they break easier, or what?
Hi tlb

Who knows why they didn't recommend extra-lights, but .010 don't break easier than .013 sets when played by skilled players who can/will adjust their touch/power to match the instrument they are playing. Extra light strings do wimp out if the guitar is not setup for them, or the guitar they are on is not responsive.

But just because a guitar arrives from the factory strung with a particular weight of strings doesn't mean it's the best gauge for that guitar with every player. Working out string weights is an individual thing…

I'm nearing 69 years old, play only fingerstyle and have very responsive guitars. I use Custom Light (.011-.052) as opposed to Light (.012-.053) or Medium (.013-.056). Mediums make my main guitar sound muddy, and the custom light are great and provide plenty of volume, and I can do string bends easier and better in tune with custom-light than with normal Light gauge strings.

There is a much bigger jump/gap in weight between medium and light gauge strings than between light and custom-light gauge strings. It's very common for players to move from medium to light or custom light.

I know many older players who have their guitars setup for extra-light strings (.10-.042). They only play at home for personal enjoyment, and love the way they sound and play on their guitars. Hey…it's their guitars and they are very happy with them. It's no fun wrestling with guitars instead of playing music for fun.

Contrary to what people say (guitar-lore is prevalent), heavier strings produce more volume, but don't alter the tone of a guitar. The may affect the balance of strings. The bass on a guitar strung with mediums may become louder with a hard strummer/flat-picker. They will sure vibrate harder! But the same overall tonal characteristics are there.

And for guys who play in all acoustic bands, they need extra volume, and projection just to keep up! So high action and bigger strings for them are to their liking!

It's not a one-size-fits-all string world!

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 06-06-2017, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post

Contrary to what people say (guitar-lore is prevalent), heavier strings produce more volume, but don't alter the tone of a guitar. The may affect the balance of strings. The bass on a guitar strung with mediums may become louder with a hard strummer/flat-picker. They will sure vibrate harder! But the same overall tonal characteristics are there.

And for guys who play in all acoustic bands, they need extra volume, and projection just to keep up! So high action and bigger strings for them are to their liking!

It's not a one-size-fits-all string world!

And LJ, what I have recently learned is medium gauge can choke the top and stifle the resonance of even a dread. that learning blew me away, as I assumed meds would just make most dreads sound better. Dropping back to lights, my guitar felt like it could breathe again. Crazy.

thanks for the info re that light vs custom light is not a huge impactful different in tone, but it might be better for my aging finger pads.

'71 Guild D25
'83 Guild D35
'98 Guild F30r
Old 06-06-2017, 03:17 PM

my old hands love Martin Flex Core .11s...
Old 06-06-2017, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Ok, so I am new to guitar (only been playing "officially for 7 months or so). The guitar I bought originally came with medium gauge strings and I was told to replace them with light gauge (which by the way is easier on my fingers). However, when I went to buy light gauge strings I saw they made extra light strings as well. So the question is what's the difference between the two? Why was I not told to buy them? Do they break easier, or what?
IMO, going lighter is a good idea for a new player. When it comes to extra-lights, most guitars need a healthy amount of set-up work to make them play and sound their best. I suggest you stay with the lights until you feel you're ready to go heavier or lighter, whichever you think best for you and your guitar.
Old 06-06-2017, 03:54 PM
Charter Member

I'm also a beginner, having started playing around Christmas. Right after I did a proper set-up on my Yamaha, I put on extra-light (10's) strings. I figured that it didn't matter if I lost volume or tone, since I couldn't play anything anyway. My left hand had been sliced all opened a year before to remove the scar tissue build up from Deputren's Contracture. It made the guitar really nice to play for me with my weak left hand. Next I went to custom light (11). I could feel the difference and I got a little better sound. Then I tried silk and steel 11's. They were as easy as the 10's but the sound was very weak.

Now I have DR Sunbeam 11's. It's like I hit the jackpot. These are slinkier than the 10's with a huge improvement in sound. These are now my strings of choice and next change I'll go with the 12's and I'm live happily ever after.
Old 06-06-2017, 03:58 PM

You all realize you're responding to a seven year old thread don't you? the OP has been gone for a long time
Old 06-06-2017, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post

Now I have DR Sunbeam 11's. It's like I hit the jackpot. These are slinkier than the 10's with a huge improvement in sound. These are now my strings of choice and next change I'll go with the 12's and I'm live happily ever after.
thanks for the recommendation. I got to try these.

'71 Guild D25
'83 Guild D35
'98 Guild F30r
Old 06-06-2017, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahorsewithnonam View Post
You all realize you're responding to a seven year old thread don't you? the OP has been gone for a long time
Awesome! Well I been gone from the AGF for about 7 years so that makes total sense to me. Welcome back!

'71 Guild D25
'83 Guild D35
'98 Guild F30r
Old 06-06-2017, 04:19 PM

I'm 70. I've been playing for 55 years so I think I have a decent technique. Nevertheless, my old hands make it difficult for me to play medium-gauge strings. Now I am in the process of switching all of my guitars to extra light-gauge strings. I don't play in a band anymore so I don't need volume . . . and I adjust the action on my guitars accordingly.
Old 06-06-2017, 04:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
You don't tell us the type/size of your guitar.

Generally speaking dreads work/sound better with mediums, but it also depends on your playing style and many use lights.

Smaller guitars (000/OMs etc., ) are better suited to lights.

Mediums tend to be 56-13, lights - 53-12. Extra, ultra lights are, of course thinner, but give less response and drive the top of your guitar less.

If mediums are really difficult for you, I say try the lights - but no lighter.
Old 06-06-2017, 05:42 PM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY

Lighter strings are easier to play. I use pro lights and I like the way they sound and feel. 11's- 50's. I don't have more breakage with them. And a lot depends on the action of the guitar (how close the strings are to the frets). Lower action is easier. I like as low as I can go w/o buzzing, but everyone's taste is different. Try some string sets and find out what feels good to you. Good luck!
Old 06-06-2017, 05:52 PM

When I started playing I was told to get the lightest string I could.

Even to my inexperienced ears, I never thought the strings sounded great. Thin and jangly up his, quiet and muffled in the bass, and generally muted. Especially when brand new, it would take a few days to a week for them to break in to the point where it was less bad than before.

I sucked it up and forced myself to play mediums (even though that particular guitar had terrible action- I'd bought it new, and wanted the action lowered. They cut down the nut slots rather than take the saddle out and shave the bottom, which is what I would have done).

I played Martin Phosphor Bronze mediums for 25 years. Tried literally every string usually available in music stores back then, but always came back to Martins.

About a year or so ago, I gave DR Rare's a try. Found that DR mediums have a lower tension (due to the way they wind the strings, compression wound or something), and was able to go up a gauge.

Give DR's a try. They have others than Rare, and I'm sure they're all made the same way ("the hand wound string", compression wound, whatever).
Old 06-06-2017, 06:03 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Even though this thread started 7 years ago, lol, I like 11 to 52 or 11.5 to whatever. Santa Cruz low tension and Martin Flexible Cores are comfortable.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 06-06-2017, 08:13 PM

Default It's All About TONE

The lighter / thinner the gauge ......and as all things relate the thinner/mass of the string the more the tone is affected .

What's important ?
  • The thing to consider is how they sound to you personally .
  • How the feel as far as which one seems easier for you as a beginner

Some like it light and easy - that's a personal choice .

Some don't like it light because they don't like the tone of a light or ultra light because of the tone sounding [ THIN ] to a person's ears who prefers a more robust and louder/fatter tone .

At 7 months you have much to listen in yourself to make the call - it's a journey , enjoy the ride man .

I'm an old guy and most old guys like them light - not me .

I roll with medium light 12's or 13's cause they are fat tone wise to my old ears .

EZ :

HR
Life has always been interesting to me

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion