The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-18-2017, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindibona1 View Post
I had extreme GAS for a Gibson SJ-200. I saw a Studio model and played it and it blew me away. The problem was GC wanted about $500 too much (after you added tax). So I was in search of a SJ.

So a guy about an hour from here had a SJ-200 True Vintage for sale in about the price range I wanted to pay. Went up there to play it and was completely bummed. While I expected a huge explosion of sound I got nothing more than I was getting with my Taylor 614. I know because I recorded them both. Truly disappointed.
Same thing here, just had this idea that an SJ200 was gonna be "it". It weren't. In fact it was pretty bad. Like, it sounded like 400 dollar guitar to me.

I wound up buying a D28 with my ears. I could have bought absolutely anything.
Old 08-18-2017, 06:28 PM

Nope.
When I first started playing guitar I discovered Martin guitars, but wouldn't get one until I learned how to play 3 songs that I've always wanted to learn.

So... almost a year later, I finally was able to play all 3 songs so off I went.

I ordered online, bought brand new, and never played it first.
(Of course Maury's Music offers the 14 day inspection period)

When that Ambertone beauty showed up, I tuned it, and WOW!!!

I LOVE my D-18!!!!

I don't buy that a Martin standard series guitar could be a "dud". I'm betting the strings were dead, or it had loose or cracked braces, or some other structural issue.
Old 08-18-2017, 06:28 PM
Guest3224

Quote:
Originally Posted by thingthatisdone View Post
the fact that people admit to this gives me faith in this community
Yeah, seriously, it's really hard to admit you made an error.

I learned to never buy online, but it took some errors to learn it, and luckily via good return policies I didn't lose $ yet gained knowledge. I feel bad for people losing hundreds/thousands on guitars they don't like. You know almost immediately, too, if you're going to bond with a guitar. If it's not happening within the first minute you're lying to yourself if you say you like that guitar. Lol.
Old 08-18-2017, 06:31 PM
Guest3224

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohYew812 View Post
I don't buy that a Martin standard series guitar could be a "dud". I'm betting the strings were dead, or it had loose or cracked braces, or some other structural issue.
All makers create duds. Or duds for that particular players ears at least.
For example, I have never played or heard a Taylor I liked. Just too bright and thin/crispy for my ear. Others love them. If someone orders a Taylor based on looks or reputation they might be in for disappointment and call it a dud, even though that guitar might be great for someone else.
Old 08-18-2017, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by commonbird View Post
All makers create duds. Or duds for that particular players ears at least.
For example, I have never played or heard a Taylor I liked. Just too bright and thin/crispy for my ear. Others love them. If someone orders a Taylor based on looks or reputation they might be in for disappointment and call it a dud, even though that guitar might be great for someone else.
I think the term "dud" is being misused then.
Old 08-18-2017, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GangstaPat View Post
What about having one built or ordering a custom shop model based on others?
I've had three custom guitars that were grave disappointments to me, two from one great builder, one from an even better builder. Then there was a custom mandolin from a highly respected builder - what the heck, I'll name him, it was the late Bill Collings.

I had never met him in person, only talked to him on the phone a little. Tried hard to like the mandolin once I finally got it, but it just didn't work for me.

Then five or eight years later I was at a guitar event, talking to my longtime friend and Collings dealer Jim Baggett of Mass Street Music, when Bill Collings himself walked up. Jim introduced us, and Bill said: "I know you, I built you a mandolin that neither of us liked!"

It can happen. Sometimes the stars just don't align properly...

That said, most of the custom instruments I've ordered have been superb. So it's worth doing. And as I've said before in other custom instrument discussion threads, the more you know, the luckier you get. What that means in practical terms is that the more you know about the sort of instrument you're ordering, right down to the type of tonewoods and neck profile you want, the more likely it is that your luthier can deliver an excellent instrument that will suit your needs perfectly.

Hope that makes sense.

Wade Hampton Miller
Guest3224

Quote:
It would be really hard to know if a guitar is a dud unless a bunch of players with varying styles and preferences all tested it out and agreed on it.

As we age, we lose hearing in the high end, too, so I wonder how many people simply aren't hearing how bright certain guitars are, etc.

Quote:
I would agree with that. Not liking Taylors doesn't make them duds. I'll be the first to admit that I haven't found a Taylor with a cutaway that I like. This does not make them duds, either.
Old 08-18-2017, 06:39 PM
Guest3224

Conversely, one of my favorite instruments is a $50 Yamaha FG 400 laminate. Definitely not a dream guitar. But it has this really comfortable "slinkiness" to the neck/playability that's awesome. And once the strings die on it, it sounds straight out of the Delta blues. It's technically crap and worthless, but to me it's invaluable and a joy. That's why you can't get hung up on price, names, etc. It either makes you smile or doesn't; it either makes you play more and become better or you ignore it and regret the buy while not wanting to admit it. There are few guitars in between.
Old 08-18-2017, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brancher View Post
I saw many D-18's online for cheaper than the one I bought... some marked 'vintage' (which in my mind, means 'no adjustable truss rod'). It is a real striggle, seeing something you can save 6 bucks on by ordering online....

But - and this is a big but - if you're gonna pay a couple large for a guitar anyway, shouldn't you want to play it first?

btw, my 18... Well, it happens to be the best one ever made.

Yes. And I learned my lesson, after the second time.

I will say this though, the most consistent sound I've found from guitar to guitar of a particular model is the GS mini. Obviously the sound doesn't beat a more expensive solid wood guitar on the norm, but a I've not yet encountered a dud. They sound like they sound. Perhaps the layered (laminate) wood is the reason as it also is for inferior sound.
Old 08-18-2017, 07:46 PM

No. For me a "dream guitar" can't be without playing it first. Otherwise it's just another incoming guitar that I hope will be a dream guitar. Once played, it either is or isn't. I've sold Martins, Collings, Guilds, Gibson's that weren't quite the one. None were duds. None were perfect for me. All are someone's dream guitar. If that D-35 isn't the one for you, just find another. There are many out there.
Old 08-18-2017, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 247hoopsfan View Post
Are you all out of Goodalls now? I have a 1990 Rosewood Standard that
is just stellar. Played a Grand Concert cutaway at Gryphon Strings yesterday
that was also great. I have never played a Goodall that disappointed me.
My first Goodall was a Grand Concert Cocobolo/Sitka, that I auditioned and picked over 5-6 Goodalls and a Collings or two, at Maple Street Music in Atlanta.

That one put the rest I bought online, to shame. They were quickly sold.

The GC hung around until I was completely convinced that the McCollum in my sig was the best guitar I'd ever played. That's the only guitar I have, or will ever have.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 08-18-2017, 08:27 PM

Not that it was my "dream guitar" but I got all pumped up when a local music store got a Used D 35 in and was asking $1600 for it.
I went down to check it out and looked it over carefully and it was in excellent condition.
Then I played it and it was very smooth and easy but....
all that bass people rave about wasn't there and it sounded just ok.
Honestly, my Eastman E20 D was a better sounding guitar by quite a margin. The Martin was easier to play, but I wouldn't buy it.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 08-18-2017, 08:35 PM

Nope, already lived through that part of my life back in the early 1990s.
Old 08-18-2017, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by commonbird View Post
That's true. Custom build is so risky...
A guitar from an established one man or small shop is going to be more or less predictable. They build to a sound not a dimensional spec which is where the uncertainty with factory guitars comes in. With factory guitars you have to try a few to find the one that fits your expectations. If you know the builder's sound for a particular type of guitar then that's what you can expect.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion