The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-18-2017, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leew3 View Post
Martin Titanium strings do stay in tune better but I think I heard that Eastman is going to include them on all their new guitars for the U.S. market. Party on, I'm just going to get my popcorn and a beverage....

Post Deleted

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

Last edited by rokdog49; 08-18-2017 at 12:25 PM.
Old 08-18-2017, 01:17 PM

I just got my set in the mail. But I NEED ADVICE.

Which guitar should I put them on to give them a test drive?

-- Huss & Dalton Custom TOM-M (Italian spruce and Mahogany)

-- Martin CS-00-21 (Sitka and EIR)
Old 08-18-2017, 01:42 PM

AHILL, I don't think anything I wrote is in disagreement with your additional information. You have a great deal more knowledge of this than I. I did say the it takes a lot of craft and science to make titanium work in many applications. Also said that I assumed that Martin had put in the necessary research and time to make these strings work. As an aside, my wife had a lovely titanium Rolex, once. The band literally disintegrated after about ten years -- and Rolex didn't make them anymore for exactly that reason -- one confirming case. When she wanted to have the watch services, Rolex declined to even try to open the case for fear of it crumbling. Rolex hadn't put in the time. This was 20 years ago. Times change.
Blueridge BR-142
Recording King R0-T16
Alvarez AP66SHB
Old 08-18-2017, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHC View Post
I just got my set in the mail. But I NEED ADVICE.

Which guitar should I put them on to give them a test drive?

-- Huss & Dalton Custom TOM-M (Italian spruce and Mahogany)

-- Martin CS-00-21 (Sitka and EIR)

Flip a coin?

I like them with Spruce and Mahogany, but it's a Slope Shouder Dread.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 08-18-2017, 03:28 PM

Following this thread closely as I truly hope to hear the strings will hold up to frequent alternate tunings.

If Martin has indeed worked this out with a different alloy, I'll certainly shell out for a set.

My love is carbon fiber guitars and titanium strings seem like a match made in heaven. I seldom need to retune them because of their stability. With titanium? Got to be a good thing.

My remaining wood guitar can continue with steel into the distant future. Lots of sets left to use up.
Old 08-18-2017, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac View Post
Following this thread closely as I truly hope to hear the strings will hold up to frequent alternate tunings.
I have to admit that I haven't altered the tuning on my 4 month old set and it may prove to be their 'weakness' by those that do.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 08-25-2017, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
Same here and I'm with you on all of what you said.
It has been a struggle to leave these things on, but I promised Martin I would. Hey, they were free.
I'm not going to sit here and tell you they sound exactly the same as they did after 30 days or 60 days and now closing in on four months.
They still sound very good though and are dang near as shiny as the day I put 'em on. To each his own my friend, absolutely!
Well I have to say it was no struggle for me to take them off. After two days, I just couldn't take any more. They turned my beloved Southern Jumbo, which normally sounds like a church organ, into a harmonica. It was like the strings came with their own invisible pillow that went into the sound hole. I was truly floored. The difference between my fave Flexi-core Tommy Emmanuel set and these titaniums, was night and day. I can't believe it. Yes I spent $40, but I took them off in one piece and will try them sometime on my "picnic" guitar, the Martin DX1R. It currently is enjoying a set of EB Alumi-bronze, which it seems to like a lot. I don't care if the Titaniums last 10 yrs, I couldn't listen anymore. Maybe the strings just don't like Gibsons...I don't know, but my faves are back and all is right with the world. I wish you luck, Martin....and if anyone is wondering, yes, I do know how to put round core strings on, I've been doing it for a long time.
Old 08-27-2017, 08:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMahog View Post
Well I have to say it was no struggle for me to take them off. After two days, I just couldn't take any more. They turned my beloved Southern Jumbo, which normally sounds like a church organ, into a harmonica. It was like the strings came with their own invisible pillow that went into the sound hole. I was truly floored. The difference between my fave Flexi-core Tommy Emmanuel set and these titaniums, was night and day. I can't believe it. Yes I spent $40, but I took them off in one piece and will try them sometime on my "picnic" guitar, the Martin DX1R. It currently is enjoying a set of EB Alumi-bronze, which it seems to like a lot. I don't care if the Titaniums last 10 yrs, I couldn't listen anymore. Maybe the strings just don't like Gibsons...I don't know, but my faves are back and all is right with the world. I wish you luck, Martin....and if anyone is wondering, yes, I do know how to put round core strings on, I've been doing it for a long time.
I just got a set to try on my 2017 L-OO Vintage. At $40 I hope they like my Gibson If not I've got a 70's Alvarez that's my beater. I gets played so rarely that the Titaniums might be a nice landing spot for them if they don't work out on the OO.
National Polychrome Tricone
National Model D Squareneck
Weber Gallatin A Mandolin

http://www.bandmix.com/jon-nilsen/
https://www.bandmix.com/limberlost/
Old 08-28-2017, 08:24 AM

Played two gigs with them this past weekend. One indoors and one outdoors in the Mississippi heat and humidity. Put them on a 2017 Gibson J45 Custom with the Baggs pickup, played through a conventional PA and a Bose Compact.

Overall was very pleased with the sound and, as others have stated, they really stayed in tune. Was particularly impressed that they stayed in tune at the outdoor hot/humid gig.

The music store ordered me two sets and is going to wait to see how they hold up...If I get three months of gigging out of them they'll more than pay for themselves based on getting an average of two gigs per set of D'addarios. We'll see...
Ovation 1984 Collector's
Takamine FP317S New Yorker
Ibanez George Benson
Gibson 339
Gibson 2017 J45 Custom
Huss & Dalton CM sinker redwood
Emerald X20 Woody
Tom Anderson Crowdster Plus
Maton Nashville 808
Maton Messiah
Old 08-28-2017, 09:04 AM

I've played one hot and muggy outside gig and many others inside.
Staying in tune has not been an issue. These dang things are fast approaching four months of near everyday play.
Tonewise, they are just now starting to show a little fall-off on the high end but I am being highly critical. They still sound good and they still look new.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 08-28-2017, 09:13 AM

Surprised to hear how many people have tuning problems with their strings. I use nickel bronze and aluminum bronze these days and have no problem with tuning. I'll probably try the titaniums because the extended tonal life is appealing, but the few comments talking about a softer, rounded treble range are really off-putting. Of course, you can kill a round core set instantly during installation, but if that's not it, I'll avoid these. I like maximum fidelity and overtones, and max volume from my strings, because I find it totally easy to play more lightly, or to warm up my tone via attack or pick. If the tone and volume aren't there to begin with, no thanks at all, regardless of lifespan.
Old 08-28-2017, 12:16 PM

I won't be buying any of these. Martin shooting themselves in the foot. Why design a set of strings that are suppose to last for at least 6 months?? Kind of like their design of an acoustic guitar relic they tried last year, nobody's buying them. I don't know who makes these decisions there but I would fire them yesterday.
Old 09-08-2017, 03:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by penname View Post
The Titanium strings arrived the day before I left for the Swannanoa Gathering so I installed them on the CEO-7. As a reference point, I normally use Retro's (Custom Light or Light) on this guitar. The strings settled in quicker than any other string I've used and I really like the sound. Another poster described it as "Retros on steroids" and I completely agree.

At first they felt a bit strange on my fingers but that disappeared after a few hours of playing. They stay in tune better than any string I've tried before. The tension on the Titanium lights feel about the same as the Retro Custom Lights so I've extremely pleased with playability.

I usually play 25-30 hours a month on the CEO-7 which is also how long the Retros usually last me. My body chemistry is tough on strings. Thanks to the Gathering I put in 30 playing hours in over 10 days. The weather was cooler than the last two years so I didn't get the weather related sweat test I was expecting. But I took a performance class so stage fright induced flop sweat was a good substitute. I also took a class that required drop D tuning so I had to adjust tuning on the 6th string several times a day. I'll see if that eventually becomes a factor in the life of the string.

I'm at the stage where I would have to normally change strings and the Titaniums are still going strong. The question is how long the Titanium strings will last me. I pay between $6-7 for the Retro's versus $40 for the Titaniums. I like the sound of the Titaniums better, but not $7 vs $40 better. It will all depend on just how many hours I can get out of them before having to change. And I am also hoping that they will eventually be available at a discount off MSRP.
UPDATE: Just went over 50 hours playing time and the strings still sound great. No problems with the low E despite going in and out of Drop D for over a month.

Last night I dusted off John Fahey's "In Christ There Is No East or West" and I really like the way it sounds with the Titanium strings. To my ear, this song/string/guitar are a great combination.

So not sure yet if Martin Titanium strings will be my new standard for the CEO-7 but they will at least be on the rotation.
2015 Martin CEO-7
2012 Martin OM-21
2011 Voyage-Air VAOM-04
2011 Taylor GA8
1930's Supertone Parlor
Old 01-28-2021, 09:22 PM

Now is 2021 and would like to see is there any updated information about the Martin Titanium strings?

I heard that these strings will not work properly with magnetic strings, is that true?

Also, people claim that there's a method for putting these strings on guitar without breaking the strings, is that effective?

Grace Felix
L.R.Baggs Mixpro
Zoom A3

Trace Elliot TA40CR
Henriksen the Bud ten
Old 07-28-2021, 10:46 AM
Charter Member

Reviving this old thread rather than start a new one.

Put a set on a Taylor GT K21e hoping to remove a little brightness. Worked. Initially was thinking now it’s too muffled. But the next day it was still in tune. One day old strings not stretched like I normally for fear of breakage and they stay in tune. Now about that tone. Yesterday I played the 814 with Elixir Nano PBS first then picked up the Koa with titanium and my ears said, WTF?

Today played the small guitar first. Hey, this sounds like the small mahogany I thought I needed. Perfection. Great feel no brassy ringy dingy. Hope they last.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion