The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 08-01-2017, 06:06 AM

Default How to practice "Walking" in pumping nylon

I really don't understand how to read the suggested patterns on top here. Each pattern consist of 7 fingerings, and the guitar has 6 strings? Any help would be great
Old 08-01-2017, 08:18 AM

The reference at the top indicates RIGHT hand finger movement.

The 1st pattern is; Index , Middle, index, Middle, ring (a) middle , ring finger. I, M, I, M, A, M, A

The 2nd pattern is; Index, Middle, Middle, Index, Ring, Ring, Middle. I, M, M, I, A, A, R,

You should be able to figure out the rest of the patterns.

It's a great exercise routine to get you more proficient in using your right hand fingers.
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop

Last edited by dkstott; 08-01-2017 at 08:31 AM.
Old 08-01-2017, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkstott View Post
The reference at the top indicates RIGHT hand finger movement.

The 1st pattern is; Index , Middle, index, Middle, ring (a) middle , ring finger. I, M, I, M, A, M, A

The 2nd pattern is; Index, Middle, Middle, Index, Ring, Ring, Middle. I, M, M, I, A, A, R,

You should be able to figure out the rest of the patterns.

It's a great exercise routine to get you more proficient in using your right hand fingers.

Thank you for the answer. I understand the patterns, and I understand PIMA, but I dont quite understand how to apply Scotts patterns to the walking TAB included. As I wrote, the pattern have 7 fingers included, but the guitar only has 6 strings? If you walk down and up the strings, that should make 12 fingerings?
Old 08-01-2017, 01:41 PM

Location: New Zealand, South Island, way down toward the bottom!

I thought I knew how to read this, but I obviously don't. I'd have tide to read the right hand notations left to right in does, but gets pretty tedious at the bottom rows...Dkscott do we really read bottom to top and play one string at a time? The stacking of the the fingerings makes a cruel mockery of the musical staff, which I foolishly read as 10 quarter notes with no time signature. Guess I haven't read music for guitar in a long time!

Here's the text of my original post, which may be better than the above, after all. I still don't know.

"You have to read left to right along the top, row 1 is pattern 1, row 2 is pattern 2 and so on. Strings are all played open throughout this exercise. So you're just getting used to adjusting your right hand position. In the interest of "simplicity" the tab notations probably make this look more complex than it needs to. And they've saved a lot of paper by printing only 11 quarter notes..."

Last edited by dosland; 08-02-2017 at 03:35 AM. Reason: Corrected myself.
Old 08-01-2017, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosland View Post
You have to read left to right along the top, row 1 is pattern 1, row 2 is pattern 2 and so on. Strings are all played open throughout this exercise. So you're just getting used to adjusting your right hand position. In the interest of "simplicity" the tab notations probably make this look more complex than it needs to. And they've saved a lot of paper by printing only 11 quarter notes...

Haha, of COURSE! thank you!
Old 08-01-2017, 09:55 PM

I think you play it all with the index to start. Then all with the middle. Then imim, then mimi....from the bottom up one row at a time.
Old 08-02-2017, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosland View Post

"You have to read left to right along the top, row 1 is pattern 1, row 2 is pattern 2 and so on. Strings are all played open throughout this exercise. So you're just getting used to adjusting your right hand position. In the interest of "simplicity" the tab notations probably make this look more complex than it needs to. And they've saved a lot of paper by printing only 11 quarter notes..."
This is exactly right. I don't have the book, but on looking at the example given it looks complicated to start with. I imagine the author has given instructions somewhere, or are we all left to guess. However, on looking the piece over, this explanation is correct. It gets you used to using alternate R/H fingers on all the strings. The title explains it really: "Walking" walking your fingers across the strings.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical