The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 04-07-2017, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VLJ View Post
The fretboard is not radiused. It has a 50mm nut and a Slim C shape. It's the same neck as the GK Pro, only cedar instead of mahogany.

The online price will be $3,999.

I was all set to get one, as I thought it was the exact Cordoba I want, and the one they've never offered: a solid rosewood body with a cedar top, in a cutaway. Beautiful rosette, too.

I learned, however, that I prefer the thicker U-shaped Espana series neck profile to the slimmer Luthier necks, which is what the CE Custom has...plus that $4K street price tag.

So, instead, I decided to go with a new custom-spec'd Pavan TP-30 cutaway for a bit less than $2K. Specs-wise, it's basically identical to the CE Custom, with three main differences: a traditional thicker neck; no onboard electronics (though they're available); ebony support rod rather than an adjustable truss rod.
Interesting these Pavan guitars. Tell us more about yours, or is it yet to be delivered?

I'd prefer the thinner neck (like cordoba's), are these options available?
I play: Acoustic blues & folk
Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/sirwhale28/videos
Old 04-09-2017, 12:51 PM

After playing the FCWE Reissue for a fair bit and really loving it, I finally decided that I missed the extra bottom-end thump, warmth, and fullness of the deeper-bodied classicals and flamencos. So, I just sold the FCWE Reissue and set about trying to choose between my original picks: the GK Pro Negra, the Takamine TH5C, and the Pavan TP-30 with a cutaway.

Just as before, I quickly ruled out the Takamine, for fear of its heavy build and subdued acoustic tone. The CE Custom might have been my top choice, but for its thinner neck and $3,999 price tag. I could probably overlook the thin neck, trusting that I would soon become used to it, but that $4K selling price is simply a bridge too far for me.

So, it came down to the GK Pro Negra and the Pavan. I know I want a GK Pro Negra, and will likely own one eventually. I just can't find one to try out, and I know I prefer the thicker neck of the FCWE and Pavan, so I finally pulled the trigger on the one I consider to be more of a sure thing, the deeper-bodied, classical Pavan...

-TP-30 cutaway
-Cedar top
-Cedar neck
-650mm scale length
-Ebony fretboard, flat (no radius)
-Solid rosewood back and sides
-Rosewood bridge and headstock
-50mm nut width
-Side dots at the 3rd, 5th, 7th, 9th, and 12th frets
-Solid bone nut and saddle
-Traditional ebony support rods
-No electronics
-Low action and string heights

All told, including a fitted hard case, Planet Waves humidifier, and shipping to California, it was a bit over $1900. I will have roughly an eight-week wait.

As you can see from the specs, it's basically the same as a CE Custom, only with a thicker neck, no truss rod, and no electronics. Tom will include and install the LR Braggs Element pickup system for an additional $195, and I don't know whether I will bother adding it to the build. If anything, I would lean towards the Anthem SL over the Element, but we'll see. I can always add it later.

The one difference between the CE Custom and this Pavan that gives me pause is the Pavan's lack of a truss rod, adjustable or otherwise. I know that classicals traditionally never had and supposedly don't need truss rods, but I've never owned a guitar without an adjustable truss rod, and I make use of that adjustment a fair bit. The Pavan employs the traditional ebony support rods, and Tom assures me that his guitars don't need truss rods. He offered to build mine with an adjustable truss rod, but after talking it over with him I decided to stick with the traditional build.

All things being equal, I would probably go with the CE Custom as my first choice, but all things aren't equal here. Besides the Pavan's thicker neck, which I prefer, the CE Custom costs 100% more than the Pavan, and I just can't see spending twice as much for the Cordoba. Also, Tom will personally set up the guitar for the type of playability I prefer, with lower action than I would see from the stock Cordoba.

I still want a GK Pro Negra, though. I suspect that I always will, until I finally manage to scratch that itch.
Old 04-09-2017, 04:36 PM

I've had my GK Pro Negra for 2 years now and still love it.

I'm really curious and want to try out a Cordoba CE Custom to see how it compares to the GK Pro. My suspicions are that it is wonderfully made, but may not be noticeably better sounding.

Right now, I am gassing for a nylon guitar with the slim Cordoba neck with a truss rod that sounds closer to a "real" classical.

I've tried a bunch of various guitars, but anything larger than 52mm without the slim Cordoba neck is very uncomfortable to my left hand. So that leaves out a lot of guitars, Yamaha, Takamine, etc..

The Cordoba C10 crossover was a really nice guitar, but I hated the 1 7/8" nut. The fretboard was too cramped with nylon strings. I ended up selling it.
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 04-09-2017, 06:50 PM

Wouldn't a standard C10 be exactly what you're looking for? It has the same slim-profile neck, flat fretboard, and truss rod as your GK Pro, albeit with a 52mm nut instead of the Pro's 50mm.

Otherwise, absolutely, hurry up and buy a CE Custom so you can tell me how it compares to the GK Pro Negra! (I would love it if you ended up telling me there's no reason to worry about the CE because the GK Pro Negra still has it covered.)
Old 04-10-2017, 07:13 AM

LOL VLJ

I've tried the standard C9 & C10, They both has the "traditional" shaped neck with 52MM nut. While the nut width is okay, my left hand was not happy with the shape.

I think what I really want is a Cedar topped GK Pro.

The Cervantes Crossover's with Cedar are priced fairly close to the CE Custom, but they have 1 7/8" width nuts.

so, unless I have missed some options, the CE Custom seems to be the only comparable option.

As soon as I can get my hands on one, I will certainly post my A/B comparison.
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 04-10-2017, 09:18 AM

Yep, my mistake. I thought all the Luthier series models shared the same slim C-shaped 'Cutaway-Electric Style Neck' as the CE Custom, but you're right, the standard C10 has the thicker U-shaped 'Traditional (Classical) Style Neck.'

From what I've read, I agree, a cedar-topped GK Pro would be perfect for you. The CE Custom with its slim neck, 50mm nut width, and non-radiused fretboard is as close as it gets, the main difference being its deeper classical body.
Old 04-10-2017, 07:36 PM

Check out the CE in action!

Old 07-31-2017, 02:08 PM

I own a Córdoba GK pro spruce & cypress. I really like it. I researched guitars for months. I would have gone with the Negra... the cypress was more readily available. Buying it was still a shot in the dark. I had nothing to compare it to. One of the deciding factors for me was honesty. The GK Pro was as advertised. They advertised it being made in China ect... Where as with many of the Takamines I still haven't clearly found out where they are made & if they are solid wood... TH90 particularly. The sides of the TH90 didn't specify "solid" wood. I felt many of the hybrid nylon guitar descriptions were disingenuous. Not so with the Córdoba...

This Custom CE has peaked my interest. I too have been tempted to buy any of the master series guitars... I'm not sure which one to pick. That Hauser limited with ebony madagascar seems tight!!! Probably never going to even look at one of those...

Question: what if I bought a regular Córdoba Hauser and added electronics? I was thinking the cutaway may depreciate the full tone. Thoughts?
Old 07-31-2017, 03:17 PM

Location: New Zealand, South Island, way down toward the bottom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by savagetofu View Post
...with many of the Takamines I still haven't clearly found out where they are made & if they are solid wood... TH90 particularly. The sides of the TH90 didn't specify "solid" wood.
This is pretty typical of classical guitar descriptions, and hybrid/crossovers seem to follow the model - unless they explicitly state that something is "solid", you can safely assume it isn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by savagetofu View Post
Question: what if I bought a regular Córdoba Hauser and added electronics? I was thinking the cutaway may depreciate the full tone. Thoughts?
Some people swear that the cutaway makes a noticeable difference in projection and tone, and some swear that it would be virtually impossible for anyone to notice the difference, acoustically, between a guitar with a cutaway and a guitar without, all other things being equal. I suppose that if you had a cutaway and added electronics you'd be reducing the interior volume still further, but in my experience the quality of the eq and amp setup is way way way more influential than the instrument's physical details (again, all other things being equal). If you're going to be playing mostly unplugged, just use a mic on occasion, it's inconvenient and maybe a bit feedbacky, but it's also the closest you're going to get to the actual guitar's sound (according to my own unique and individual opinion, not necessarily shared by anyone else).

Oh, I should have prefaced all that with something like "if you need a cutaway, you're probably just not doing the right fingering practices! I can barre on 16 without a cutaway no probs."
Old 07-31-2017, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosland View Post
If you're going to be playing mostly unplugged, just use a mic on occasion, it's inconvenient and maybe a bit feedbacky, but it's also the closest you're going to get to the actual guitar's sound (according to my own unique and individual opinion, not necessarily shared by anyone else).
Thank you. That makes sense.

I feel, plugging in the guitar is ideal for singing & playing guitar.

I'm not sure why all the nylon hybrids are all cutaways... like you said, it probably doesn't make the any difference when equalized. Thanks again.
Old 08-24-2017, 03:21 PM
Charter Member

Has anyone here had a chance to buy or play one of these yet?
Old 01-21-2018, 06:11 PM

This is the first time I've seen it for sale. $3,999 as someone suggested above.

https://reverb.com/item/9143954-cord...sical-electric

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical