The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 10-06-2015, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj144 View Post
Sorry, I have to vent for a minute.

I ordered a new dishwasher a couple of months ago. It didn't dawn on me to see if it was installed correctly. A couple of days ago I was unloading dishes and the whole dishwasher started falling out. One of the brackets wasn't installed correctly and it broke. Called Home Depot... the guys that installed it won't come back after 45 days. It was a slow break though, so that's ridiculous. I have to jump through hoops to get Maytag to come out now...

Then I switched to Verizon. I got my first bill. The overcharged me for my phone... so now I have to waste time with them.

I had a promotion with Comcast for 12 months. They raised my rate after 6 months instead of 12, so now I have to go in and waste my time with them.

I ordered cologne as a gift for my dad. The USPS broke the bottle and returned back to Target. With no word of what happened (and I was still charged for the bottle), I just chatted with them. Apparently they were going to refund me and I should order again... but... it's not on sale now. Why should I have to pay more for someone else's mistake?!?!

Why I am wasting my time fixing all these problems that should not exist?!

It's so annoying...
Never, and I mean never have Home Depot install anything in your home. They have "no idea" what they are doing. I speak from experience in dealing with them. I sent the installers packing after seeing them try to install my microwave. It would have fallen down at any time given the idiotic way they were attempting to install it.

I don't think most companies care at all about customer service or doing the job right the first time. I don't know what happened but things have deteriorated in almost all professions when it comes to doing anything with pride.

Reason #1 is that they want to pay their workers the least amount of money possible, yet still charge top dollar for their service. It results in unskilled workers doing shabby work.

I run a small manufacturing business. I deal with it first hand on a daily basis.
Old 10-06-2015, 10:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slinky View Post
When I was deployed to Afghanistan as a soldier in the U.S. Army, I didn't feel over payed. How much is enough to pay someone to go through a door with the possibility of an AK-47 meeting you on the other side.

I exited a Chinook more than once with bullets whizzing by, I'll never forget that sound. How much is that worth? Don't get me wrong, I did my job, and did it honorably. Luckily I did't do any of it for the money, most didn't.

Many soldiers have been deployed 5-10 times. After twenty years of that crap, I think they deserve what meager retirement they get. Not all government employees are over payed. Not even close to 99%.

Just my 2 cents.
I'm glad you made it home safely.

I too, am a veteran, though not of a foreign war and further was a 18 year military brat before enlisting. I wonder how many of those who disparage government workers actually spent any time in public service to their country to uphold their right to voice their opinions. Or do they just mount a big American flag in their pickup truck driving around proclaiming their Americanism.
Old 10-06-2015, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasome View Post
I have had similar experiences with just about every situation mentioned. And while it doesn't absolve the terrible behavior, I've attributed much of it to the informal way we do business theses days. I've (almost) never had this type of problem when I've done business with the local lumber yard, appliance dealer, diner or music store, etc. And some large online vendors like Amazon, Patagonia and LL Bean are examples of companies that provide great no-fuss service. But companies like big banks, Verizon, Comcast etc., write the rules and don't seem to care what they hand out. I love it when you spend an hour with customer service, get nothing at all, and they have the audacity to say --- Is there anything else I can help you with today?
Exactly right! Verizon is the worst. Comcast a close second.

Technology is only great when it works.
Old 10-06-2015, 10:20 PM
Charter Member

Yes, as is well known, everything was perfect "back in the day" or when you were in charge, and everything is going to hell in a handbasket now.
Old 10-06-2015, 10:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
That last bit is very troubling for society on so many levels and it is a serious symptom of a very bad problem to come.
I'm impressed the apocalyptic slippery slope took almost two pages to appear.
Old 10-06-2015, 10:24 PM

Is Everybody Incontinent?

Well no, not yet.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 10-06-2015, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogthefrog View Post
Yes, as is well known, everything was perfect "back in the day" or when you were in charge, and everything is going to hell in a handbasket now.
Who's "you"?
Old 10-06-2015, 10:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranK_S View Post
Who's "you"?
The royal you
Old 10-06-2015, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unimogbert View Post
Catch the movie 'Idiocracy.'

I think it's a documentary
Roll on the floor laughing out loud.
Old 10-07-2015, 06:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHS View Post
If you have a state pension, ( PFRS ) they do not deduct SS you can get SS IF you paid into it from outside work details.
That's true . However I did pay a lot of SS for 20 years and should be entitled to a not so insignificant monthly check based on my contributions. There is a complicated clause that when you turn 68, you can apply for receive about 1/3 of what I would normally get. My personal view is I am entitled to it and should be able to receive it. On the other hand I've planned for my retirement. I have been fortunate and will do fine without it. So there is social value in giving it to others who rely on SS as a primary source of income.

It is odd. Another close family member retired from the army as a full colonel, worked in the private sector for 15 years and collects both. I think it applies to state employees in Massachusetts. There has been much complaining, so perhaps it will change.
Old 10-07-2015, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
Is Everybody Incontinent?

Well no, not yet.
Verbally, perhaps ...
Old 10-07-2015, 06:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitarre View Post
... I wonder how many of those who disparage government workers actually spent any time in public service ....

My wife worked her butt off for the VA. She now works her butt off for the USPS and they get no respect from the general public. I'm no fan of government leaders, but the government workers on the front lines are not respected and they deserve better.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 10-07-2015, 06:58 AM

Last edited by unimogbert; 03-07-2023 at 10:07 PM.
Old 10-07-2015, 07:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unimogbert View Post
Like any other large groups there are pocket of excellence and pocket of idiocy.

My friend in the FAA says his office coworkers are a bunch of useless slobs putting in their time until retirement. He's still trying to keep Private Pilots from killing themselves.

My 80+ year old father was SWATTED by an IRS employee alleging "terroristic threats" because she couldn't be bothered to explain why he owed $65,000. After the raid the SWAT team leader put him in touch with a supposed internal IRS expert who would help sort it out. It took that guy 18 months to obtain the papers within the agency necessary to have a look at the problem. After having had their privacy invaded by a team with bomb-sniffing dog ("nothing found") the problem was settled for $1500.

The horror stories are more memorable than excellent service.

I work with civilian DoD employees. My only complaint is that they get a LOT more holidays off than I do - so we lose work due to their absence on work days.
You're definitely correct about the good and bad employees. Happens everywhere. And it's always true that the horror stories make the headlines. Otherwise, what would they put on the news interspersed with endless prescription drug commercials?

Your friend who's trying to keep private pilots from killing themselves sounds like he's the only worthwhile employee in his office. Hmmmm. Perhaps his coworkers have a different viewpoint.

Sorry to hear about the event with your father. There must have been a little more detail to the story that would prompt a raid by a SWAT team.

The other side of the coin regarding the civilian DoD employees holidays is that perhaps you don't get enough holidays per year.
Old 10-07-2015, 07:41 AM

Last edited by unimogbert; 03-07-2023 at 09:58 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic