The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-26-2015, 10:18 AM

Default Review your acoustic multi effects pedal

Years ago I sold my old Yamaha AG Stomp in favor of just running clean. This year I started having second thought about adding some spice to my tone.

If you have one of those "everything in one box" effects stomp boxes designed for acoustic guitars, please give us a review of the good and not so good features. Is it easy to work right out of the box or do you need to be a MIT grad student to figure it all out. Can you quickly move from one effect to the next by the tap of your toe on a button? You get the picture.
Taylor 612ce (2001)
Taylor T5-C2 Koa (2007)
Ovation CS28P KOAB - Koa Burst (2017)
Paul Reed Smith 305 - Sunburst (2012)
Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 - Autumn Sky (2013)
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat - Sonic Blue (2012)
Roland Juno DS76 (2020)
Old 05-26-2015, 11:13 AM

By your signature, it looks like you have some nice guitars.
I play my Larrivees and Goodall, all very nice guitars. My own opinion is when I have great sounding acoustic guitars, I want them to sound as close to that when I plug in. So I just use a Baggs Para DI. That's it. I don't want any phony electronic sounds.
1998 Larrivee OM05-MT All Mahogany
1998 Larrivee D09 Brazilian “Flying Eagle”
1998 Larrivee D10 Brazilian "Flying Eagle"
1990 Goodall Rosewood Standard

https://soundcloud.com/247hoopsfan
Old 05-26-2015, 05:24 PM

I just use my LR Baggs Venue

My site: Personal Blog

Yamaha LL16R-12 L Series A.R.E.
Yamaha FG-75
Fender CF 60 CE
Ibanez AF75TDG
Epiphone Les Paul Std PlusPRO
Eastman MB515 Mando
Yamaha YPT230 Keyboard
Old 05-26-2015, 09:13 PM

I play thru a
V-Tone Acoustic ADI 21
Acoustic modeler-Driver-DI.

Yamaha FG700S Dread

Epiphone Joe Pass Hollowbody Electric

Epiphone Les Paul Special 1 p90's

Squier Stratocaster SE

Yamaha Thr 5 v.2 Amp

Behringer Ultracoustic AT-108 Amp

Bugera V5 Infinium Amp

Bugera 112 TS Cab

Peavey PVi 100 Microphone

Tascam DR05 Digital Recorder

Cubase AI 6
Old 05-27-2015, 07:04 AM

Look up the Zoom A3. Lots of people buying them now.
Old 05-27-2015, 07:24 AM

Guitar > BOSS DM-2 Analog Delay > BOSS CH-1 Super Chorus > Amp

I use one of the following acoustic amps when gigging depending upon the venue:

Fender Acoustasonic Jr DSP (has the best sounding vocal channel of any acoustic amp I've ever played)

Fishman Loudbox Mini

Fishman Loudbox Performer
Old 05-27-2015, 07:37 AM
Guest4562

Just a PADI and a touch of reverb for me. I do have a looper that I use mostly for sound check, but I also use it to lay down the guitar part in a few songs when when I want to play banjo.
Old 05-27-2015, 07:58 AM

I am happy with a TC Play electric. I use it for practice at home through studio-monitors or headphone. It helps a lot for singing and playing at the same time, also has USB to use it as an external soundcard to record and control the lessons and new song-ideas.

Has all the guitar-effects and a looper under the hood, and some funny vocal-stuff (harmonizer, auto-tune) Actually, the reverb, chorus and delay are quite good.

Would make a perfect all-in-one preamp for small gigs with an active speaker (or the PA at the location) if necessary. For me, as already written, it is mainly a tool for rehearsing/practice.

On stage, I would prefer a more "natural" feeling with only a volume pedal, a good compressor and a touch of reverb.
Old 05-27-2015, 10:10 AM
Charter Member

I use and am a fan of the Zoom G3 guitar pedal. Lots of amp sims, more fx than you can ever need, 40 sec looper, drum machine.
I use with both my acoustic and electric, because you can set up different patches for each. The presets are over the top as far as I am concerned, but the pedal is easy to tweak and very easy to use.
i bought the version without the expression pedal, for about $150. I use the looper in live situations, it is very easy to use as it comes with separate on/off stomps.
I think its a quality pedal for the money.
Old 05-27-2015, 10:28 AM

I bought the relatively new Zoom MS-70CDR which sells for 129.00. Takes some time to get used to it but overall it's not too complicated. CDR stands for chorus, reverb and delay but it also has tremolo and others. It's a keeper. Here's the link:

http://www.zoom.co.jp/products/ms-70cdr
Old 05-27-2015, 06:24 PM
Charter Member

Although not acoustic specific, I've used the Digitech 360XP for acoustic for about a year.

Obviously I don't use a lot of the electric stuff, but I use the Compressor, Reverb, Delay, EQ. It allows easy access back and forth between patches. It also has a onboard 30 second looper with the availability to add a control footswitch.
Old 05-28-2015, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jricc View Post
I use and am a fan of the Zoom G3 guitar pedal. Lots of amp sims, more fx than you can ever need, 40 sec looper, drum machine.
I use with both my acoustic and electric, because you can set up different patches for each. The presets are over the top as far as I am concerned, but the pedal is easy to tweak and very easy to use.
i bought the version without the expression pedal, for about $150. I use the looper in live situations, it is very easy to use as it comes with separate on/off stomps.
A big plus one here for the G3. If it ain't super simple, I don't use it, and this baby is, and it has a ton of effects to it that are almost infinitely (and again, easily) modifiable. You'll be up and running with this thing in 60 seconds. I actually can't believe what you get for the price. Worth a look!

Debut album Time Will Tell now available on all the usual platforms
-- visit SeanLewisMusic
Old 05-30-2015, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jricc View Post

I really dig that zoom G3 pedal without the expression pedal.

Can you use that with your acoustic/electric guitars? How does it sound?

That is a very nice pedal that I have been wanting to get for my electric guitars. I like it way better than the Line 6 HD500 I got rid of. By the looks of it this one is a lot easier to use.

I like the way it shows the individual pedals in the led screens and the control knobs. I think I would really like this pedal.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification