The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-23-2015, 04:47 PM
Charter Member

Default Baggs M1 Active vs M1

I've got an M1 active in my gigging guitar and it sounds awesome but I hate batteries. I'm going to buy another one for my backup and I'd like to avoid the battery thing. I never use a preamp and usually just plug straight into the board or my VL3. My question is am I going to be able to get enough out of the regular M1 without a preamp? I know I like the tone and the M1A doesn't need any eq or a preamp.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 05-23-2015, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmicko View Post
I've got an M1 active in my gigging guitar and it sounds awesome but I hate batteries. I'm going to buy another one for my backup and I'd like to avoid the battery thing. I never use a preamp and usually just plug straight into the board or my VL3. My question is am I going to be able to get enough out of the regular M1 without a preamp? I know I like the tone and the M1A doesn't need any eq or a preamp.
I've been using a passive M1 for years now, and I find that it does need an external preamp (and preferably a DI) before going into a mixer. Its impedance is not as high as a passive piezo pickup, but it does not have a particularly strong signal. It needs more gain than most mixers offer on their 1/4" line inputs. It's usually fine going direct into an acoustic amp, as one might expect.

Louis

Last edited by lschwart; 05-23-2015 at 10:59 PM.
Old 05-23-2015, 10:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lschwart View Post
I've been using a passive M1 for years now, and I find that it does need an external preamp (and preferably a DI) before going into a mixer. It's impedance is not as high as a passive piezo pickup, but it does not have a particularly strong signal. It needs more gain than most mixers offer on their 1/4" line inputs. It's usually fine going direct into an acoustic amp, as one might expect.

Louis
Thanks Louis, that's what I was afraid of. Looks like I'll be buying another M1A.
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

Old 05-24-2015, 04:35 AM

I have not plugged my M1 into a PA board yet.

But I have plugged it into my Fender guitar amp and it did not need a preamp and actually sounded better without a preamp.

Anytime I've plugged an electric guitar, such as a Fender Stratocaster, directly into a PA board it sounded pretty flat and sterile but it did work and did provide a strong enough signal to work.

The M1 seems to be similar to a regular electric guitar pickup in terms of output.

I love the way mine sounds but I was after more of a magnetic pickup sound from this particular guitar since I use it primarily for slide and plugged into a regular tube guitar amplifier - not a PA.

Your mileage may vary as they say.

Seagull CW w/Baggs M1 pickup...National Vintage Steel Tricone...SWR California Blonde Amp
Old 05-24-2015, 12:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsyblue View Post
I have not plugged my M1 into a PA board yet.

But I have plugged it into my Fender guitar amp and it did not need a preamp and actually sounded better without a preamp.

Anytime I've plugged an electric guitar, such as a Fender Stratocaster, directly into a PA board it sounded pretty flat and sterile but it did work and did provide a strong enough signal to work.

The M1 seems to be similar to a regular electric guitar pickup in terms of output.

I love the way mine sounds but I was after more of a magnetic pickup sound from this particular guitar since I use it primarily for slide and plugged into a regular tube guitar amplifier - not a PA.

Your mileage may vary as they say.
LOL...I agree but I like a simple setup and hate having to carry around a preamp to set in on a guest spot, etc., and that's a pretty dang expensive expirament if it doesn't work.
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

Old 05-24-2015, 02:27 PM

Quote:
I had an M1A in my Loar acoustic guitar and loved it. How often do you have to replace the battery?
Old 05-24-2015, 02:45 PM
Charter Member

Really no more than once a year. It's not a big deal at all I'm just very anti-battery. LOL
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

Old 05-24-2015, 10:19 PM
Charter Member

I like the sound of the M1A and have one in one guitar, but I prefer the M80 in two other guitars and like its broader range in the lows as well as the features of having a battery indicator & ability to switch to passive mode just in case...I play for a living and carry an extra battery with me tho. I like the looks, tone and versitility of the M80...I play with a bit of percusssion in my reggae style so this design works nicely! Here's a pic from last week with my D18; CHEERS!

Old 05-25-2015, 08:31 AM
Charter Member

The M80 is awesome and undoubtedly a step above the M1A I'm currently using however I rarely schedule more than 2-3 gigs a month. Performing for me is more of a creative outlet and social endeavor. Yeah I make a few extra bucks but not enough for me to go more expensive than an M1A. I was hoping an M1 would serve my purposes without needing a preamp but it appears that's not the case.
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

Old 05-25-2015, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Really no more than once a year. It's not a big deal at all I'm just very anti-battery. LOL
That's irrational. I buy 2032's online for about $.25 each, a couple dozen at a time, and scatter them in my accessory box in each case, as well as in my gig kits. I use Snark tuners which take the same battery. FWIW, I've never had a failure on stage.
Old 05-25-2015, 08:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyAxe View Post
That's irrational. I buy 2032's online for about $.25 each, a couple dozen at a time, and scatter them in my accessory box in each case, as well as in my gig kits. I use Snark tuners which take the same battery. FWIW, I've never had a failure on stage.
But I never claimed to be rational did I?
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

Old 05-26-2015, 04:12 PM

Quote:
But I never claimed to be rational did I?
No, no you didn't ..

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification