The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

View Poll Results: Which did you buy, the Bose L1 Compact or the Fishman SA220?
Bose L1 Compact 10 10.75%
Bose L1 Compact and a Bose T1 Mixer 12 12.90%
Bose L1 Compact and another Mixer/Processor/Extension 10 10.75%
Fishman SA 220 29 31.18%
Fishman SA 220 and another Mixer/Processor/Extension 6 6.45%
Another compact PA solution 27 29.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-20-2015, 08:36 AM

Default Bose L1 Compact vs Fishman SA220

Well, I'm sad to report that I had to cancel my pre-order for the, yet to be released, StageMate S600. Carvin is a great company to deal with, but I need a system for a folk gig this weekend, and one next weekend, and they won't be likely to ship the Carvin until the end of May/early June. I briefly considered getting the AG200 or AG300 instead, but I think I will be better served with the line array, though it is conjecture only, as I have not put hands on either of those units. After researching everything on the market at the sub $1,000 price point, including the Yamaha StagePas, Samson, JBL, Fender, HK nano, and other compact 3-piece PA systems, I settled on the two likely suspects. The Bose L1 compact, and the Fishman SA 220.

Further tempted by the sales going on for new units ($899 plus tax for the Bose and $850 plus tax for SA220 at GC in Chicago), I decided to take a guitar to the store to try them out. I picked times when I had the place to myself. The setting was the rather large acoustic room at the GC in Arlington Heights, IL. I spent about 1 hour with each system.

Here are my thoughts from the perspective of an engineer, a singer/songwriter and occasional "giggest."

#1 Sound quality:
The Bose L1 and the Fishman SA 220 were very comparable in terms of sound quality. I did not find the lack of reverb effect an issue with the Bose. I think it sounded lovely. In fact, in very close proximity, I think the Bose had more "air" and shimmer in the tone. About 15 - 25 feet away (the length of the room and my instrument cable), I think the Fishman sounded marginally better. The folks who were listening in, including a gigging acoustic musician I know, preferred the Fishman during my demo. I did not experience feedback with my Taylor ES2 with either system. Yeah!

#2 Electronic features:
I think Fishman hit all the right button with their design. It is just well thought out. All the necessary inputs and outputs to use stand alone and as an expanded system. For acoustic guitars and voice, I don't sense a lack of bass. Perhaps, if you had more bass instruments, a sub would be handy. I don't anticipate that need. The built-in effects, the effects loop, the XLR monitor ports, EQ controls, mic preamps, phantom power, etc. suggests Fishman thought of "everything." I also like the idea of being able to use the monitor and Aux ports for additional channels in a pinch. I had no trouble getting the sound dialed in. I like lots of knobs to turn. Update: I reviewed the owners manual and included block diagram. This is a really well thought out circuit design. Honestly, other than more channels, more effects options, or more speaker add-ons, I don't know what else they could have included, that wouldn't go obsolete in a year.

Anything you can do with the Fishman, you can do with the Bose. In fact, for 1 guitar and vocals, the "voodoo" inside the unit just works. It's akin to an Apple product, that "just works." But, if you want the flexibility of the Fishman, it's just going to cost a little more. My sense is that beyond a guitar and a dynamic mic, you need the Tonematch mixer. And, with the mixer, I think the unit becomes more capable than the Fishman, since it has some sub woofer capability. But, it is an extra $400 to $500. I also think Bose missed the boat by not providing a TI power/signal pass through port on the compact unit. It makes an otherwise elegant solution, slightly more cumbersome than needed. In fact, if the Bose compact had the T1 port, it might have swayed me to spend more and the a compact and T1 mixer.

#3 Physical comparison
Both systems are lightweight. But, I felt that the tower extensions on the Bose were rather un-secure when fully extended. I envision someone knocking them over. In fact, while I demoed the unit I slid the Bose unit forward on the carpet and the tower nearly fell off - I caught it just in time. In fairness, you can't really nudge the Fishman, once it is on the stand, either. With regards to carrying, the Fishman gets the "one roller bag" nod. It is, literally, "one less thing to carry." The bag and wheels are actually a fine selling point, as I am sure others would agree. It hope I can stuff my cords, a folded boom mic stand in the attached stand bag. I can carry my mic, AirTurn, and iPad holder, and other odds and ends, in a backpack and the guitar in the other hand.

#4 Construction
This comment is not intended to offend owners of the Bose, as I think it is a fine and capable system, but the construction of the Fishman appeals to me as more "gig ready" and less like a consumer electronics piece. Others will undoubtedly argue that they have gigged the Bose from here to Sunday, with much success. But, I suspect the Fishman would survive a drop, during transport, more intact. I suspect the Fishman would all pass the "beer test" more readily. I'd be interested in the opinions of others with experience in this regard.

So, I purchased the Fishman SA220. They had sold out of inventory at the sale price, so mine will arrive by Friday. Just in time to put it to use.

Also, a note of thanks to the many members who have posted about their experiences with these systems. Your reviews and advice were very useful in helping to make my final purchase decision. I am also grateful for the others who figured out the tricks to making these things work. I think the power of this forum is sharing information and experiences that help us to make better music for ourselves, and others, to enjoy.

Last edited by martingitdave; 05-20-2015 at 03:11 PM.
Old 05-20-2015, 08:55 AM
Charter Member

The choice between these two gets discussed regularly here. I tried both and decided on the Bose. I use a TC Helicon G-xt vocal harmonizer, which gives me a reverb that I really like; less money than the T1, better for my use.

Either unit (Bose Compact vs the Fishman SA220) are a good solution for a solo singer/guitar player. I am sure your Fishman will give you great service.

I'll be interested to get your impressions after your weekend gig.
Old 05-20-2015, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
The choice between these two gets discussed regularly here. I tried both and decided on the Bose. I use a TC Helicon G-xt vocal harmonizer, which gives me a reverb that I really like; less money than the T1, better for my use.

Either unit (Bose Compact vs the Fishman SA220) are a good solution for a solo singer/guitar player. I am sure your Fishman will give you great service.

Out of curiosity, would a tonematch port in the Bose compact caused you to consider the T1? It's a purely hypothetical question. Otherwise, I agree that both systems are excellent.

Last edited by martingitdave; 05-20-2015 at 09:16 AM.
Old 05-20-2015, 09:47 AM

my choice Fishman SA 220
Old 05-20-2015, 11:23 AM

I already had a Bose L1 Model II with a Tonematch unit when I saw a used Bose Compact with a Tonematch for $650. I bought it and sold the Tonematch for $200.

I have also used the Fishman unit and between the two I would probably go for the Fishman over the Bose if I were buying new. That said, I would use the Tonematch with either unit because I really like the sound I can get through it (mostly on my vocals). The Fishman sounds great, and is able to carry more stuff in one trip, which takes a little of the hassle out of setup/teardown.

One advantage of the Bose Compact is that it really is more compact. One of my friends has a regular gig on small riverboat and there is no room for either the Fishman or the Bose setup on the floor. The Bose Compact is able to be placed on the end of the bar and gives a little sound reinforcement over the diesel engines.
Old 05-20-2015, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug102 View Post
I already had a Bose L1 Model II with a Tonematch unit when I saw a used Bose Compact with a Tonematch for $650. I bought it and sold the Tonematch for $200.

I have also used the Fishman unit and between the two I would probably go for the Fishman over the Bose if I were buying new. That said, I would use the Tonematch with either unit because I really like the sound I can get through it (mostly on my vocals). The Fishman sounds great, and is able to carry more stuff in one trip, which takes a little of the hassle out of setup/teardown.

One advantage of the Bose Compact is that it really is more compact. One of my friends has a regular gig on small riverboat and there is no room for either the Fishman or the Bose setup on the floor. The Bose Compact is able to be placed on the end of the bar and gives a little sound reinforcement over the diesel engines.
When/if I team up with a female singer, I am considering getting (or having her get) a used Tonematch as the mixer. I would try and modify the mounting bracket to attach to the SA220. I would put those 4 inputs into the monitor-in port on the SA220. I would still have the active front 2 channels. So, I think that gives you some real flexibility. Of course, any mixer unit would do the same, but I like the idea of the Bose presets. Best of both worlds?
Old 05-20-2015, 12:13 PM

I like to use a Mixer. The Bose compact sounds excellent and I have a duo with two guitars and two singers. Other times with a band too.
Old 05-20-2015, 12:32 PM

I wanted the Fishman for it's additional inputs and features. But, chose the Bose Compact simply because at my advanced age it is easier to assemble. The SA220 is heavier and harder to lift up onto it's stand.
Yamaha FSX800C
Bose L1c
Schertler Jam 100
Gretsch G2655
Gretsch G5655T
Old 05-20-2015, 12:44 PM
Guest4562

I have a Behringer mixer that I heretofore only used for recording. Now I go through it to the Bose L1C. Not only is it less stuff to carry and it sounds better, but I prefer the board to the panel on the powered mixer I had been using.

Last edited by Guest4562; 05-20-2015 at 02:17 PM.
Old 05-20-2015, 01:39 PM
Charter Member

I've had both the Bose L1 Compact and the Fishman SA220. The Bose sounded better (fuller bass, clarity and dispersion) but the Fishman has a little more I/O capability as well as effects. If a user adds an outboard mixer to expand I/O capabilities and add effects, the Bose L1 Compact, IMHO, is a better choice. The Bose L1 Compact is currently on sale until the end of June for $899.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 05-20-2015, 02:02 PM
Charter Member

I voted that I prefer just the SA220 but also have an Allen & Heath ZED 10-FX mixer if needed for additional players or voices. Love the sound quality, portability of the Fishman over the Bose L1 with bass module - which I used in many, many gigs over several years as half of an "acoustic" fingerstyle/vocal duo. The Bose better permeates a room or outdoor gig space with sound IMO, but I never liked the compressed, plasticene output of the L1, or that it couldn't accommodate internal guitar mics. So, at least from my limited point of view, Dave, you made the right choice.

Ain't Nobody's Business:
https://soundcloud.com/vern-equinox/...usiness-but-my
Old 05-20-2015, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random1643 View Post
I voted that I prefer just the SA220 but also have an Allen & Heath ZED 10-FX mixer if needed for additional players or voices. Love the sound quality, portability of the Fishman over the Bose L1 with bass module - which I used in many, many gigs over several years as half of an "acoustic" fingerstyle/vocal duo. The Bose better permeates a room or outdoor gig space with sound IMO, but I never liked the compressed, plasticene output of the L1, or that it couldn't accommodate internal guitar mics. So, at least from my limited point of view, Dave, you made the right choice.
"Plasticine" is my new favorite word of the day. Good One! Thanks for the note!
Old 05-20-2015, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulin View Post
I wanted the Fishman for it's additional inputs and features. But, chose the Bose Compact simply because at my advanced age it is easier to assemble. The SA220 is heavier and harder to lift up onto it's stand.
Ah! This is a very good point. With the Bose, you lift mount the light parts. With the Fishman you lift and mount the heavy part.
Old 05-20-2015, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post

Out of curiosity, I just viewed a demo of the TC Helicon G-XT. I am totally impressed! I think you could take one of those units and a powered speaker and call it a day. The woman doing the demo was fabulous. Can someone say "Christmas Gift"? I'll have to put it on the list for Mrs. Martingitdave. This is, if she let's me live after this new Fishman toy gets delivered. ;-)

Last edited by martingitdave; 05-20-2015 at 03:22 PM.
Old 05-20-2015, 03:39 PM

That Carvin battery powered StageMate S600 looks kind of cool. Have used the SoloAmp several times in the past, and it was quite nice. Also had a Yamaha StagePass, which was really quite brilliant and beautiful sounding.

2014 Pono N30 DC EIR/Spruce crossover
2009 Pono koa parlor (NAMM prototype)
2018 Maton EBG808TEC
2014 Hatcher Greta 13 fret cutaway in EIR/cedar
2017 Hatcher Josie fan fret mahogany
1973 Sigma GCR7 (OM model) rosewood and spruce
2014 Rainsong OM1000N2
....and about 5 really nice tenor ukuleles at any given moment

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification