The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-26-2015, 04:51 AM

Well if you have any doubts about it, try setting it up and get the best sound you can, then take it out of your chain to remind yourself how your system sounds without it....you should be pleasantly surprised on how much it adds. I know I was...
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Ibanez Acoustic Bass 12 M1
Martin 12 string X Series
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

Formerly known as Martin Maniac.....

M
Old 05-26-2015, 10:13 AM

Much thanks to all you folks who've reported on how the Session DI works with your Lyric-equipped guitars. After running sound for a few Lyric-equipped guitars, I had the suspicion that the studio folks must be doing something to get the (not as thin, and richer sounding) recorded tone which we heard in the Ricky Skaggs demo. We now know that saturation and multi-band compression (as with the Session DI) were used. All the Lyric/Session reviews so far have reinforced the notion that saturation and multi-band compression do indeed help with the Lyric - at least for folks like myself who prefer a more solid and focused tone.

Judging from the Baggs studio demos, I'm thinking that the Session might also help considerably with magnetic pickups. I know for a fact that I was never able to get such an appealing tone from the Baggs M1. I look forward to reading some observations on how the Session DI works with magnetic pickups.

Lastly, I'm wondering how the Session might work with the signal from an external mic. Might it possibly subdue the troublesome frequencies enough to allow for more gain-before-feedback on the mic? In any event, I suspect that these studio techniques of using multi-band compression and saturation were first developed using mic signals, before being applied to pickups.
Old 05-26-2015, 10:42 AM

With regards to the Session DI and the LR Baggs M1A, I have one installed in my D-18...I did a quick check and it does indeed help the M1A quite a bit... again much stronger signal and compressed playing make for a decent sound.

I will add this, the D-35 with the Lyric sounds much better than the D-18/M1A combo and will be my goto rig, because it has a warmer, richer over all sound. It's not a fair comparison though because the D-18 has old Retro strings vrs the fresh LifeSpan strings on the D-35.

My D-18 will sit next to me at my computer for quick song learning off the computer....( not plugged in )
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M
Old 05-26-2015, 10:44 AM

Thanks for the observations, MM.
Old 05-26-2015, 12:05 PM

I have to comment on the Session's output signal. With my Marshall AS50R amp, I can play my guitar at a comfortable level at the 1-2 mark on the volume knob. With the Session's gain knob set at the 2:00 setting, the Marshall acts as though it has doubled or tripled it's wattage and is very loud at the same low amp setting. I'm afraid to really turn it up !! With this extra power comes a better quality tone as well....this boost in the gain is a big surprise to me, I wasn't expecting this... it's nice !!
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

M

Last edited by Yamaha Man; 05-26-2015 at 12:32 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification