The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-24-2015, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeguam View Post
Here's my settings, I apologize, I use the "Slap" back delay setting and not the "Echo".

One other thing I do is I set both A & B presets to the same exact thing. This is because I've sometimes inadvertently kicked it and setting them to the same preset ensures this doesn't accidentally change my sound mid-song.
Joe likes his sound a little wetter than I do. The thing to remember is that different people like different sounds. I can't imagine leaving the doubler on; in fact I've hardly ever used it. My FX and Harmony settings are much lower as well. It all depends on your voice, your style, your repertoire and your sonic preferences.

Mike
Old 05-25-2015, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laughingboy68 View Post
Joe likes his sound a little wetter than I do. The thing to remember is that different people like different sounds. I can't imagine leaving the doubler on; in fact I've hardly ever used it. My FX and Harmony settings are much lower as well. It all depends on your voice, your style, your repertoire and your sonic preferences.

Mike

You're absolutely right Mike, it might just be the gig settings that make it different. You see, I loop drums, then guitar rhythm, then bass line....then I hang up the guitar to grab my uke and play lead/solos. So in my solo gigs, I try to present a full band sound and the double effect helps to make it a bit more full. When I kick the harmony voices, I really do it more for vocal dynamics than to simulate back-up singers....which might be the reason why it's a bit more enabled than you would set it.

On the other hand, when I play more-intimate gigs with maybe just guitar and ukulele (no bass or drums), I turn all the effects down considerably. This may be more aligned to your settings Mike?
Old 05-25-2015, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeguam View Post
You're absolutely right Mike, it might just be the gig settings that make it different. You see, I loop drums, then guitar rhythm, then bass line....then I hang up the guitar to grab my uke and play lead/solos. So in my solo gigs, I try to present a full band sound and the double effect helps to make it a bit more full. When I kick the harmony voices, I really do it more for vocal dynamics than to simulate back-up singers....which might be the reason why it's a bit more enabled than you would set it.

On the other hand, when I play more-intimate gigs with maybe just guitar and ukulele (no bass or drums), I turn all the effects down considerably. This may be more aligned to your settings Mike?
I set my input at just under 10:00, effects at 10:00 and harmony at about 9:00 (or slightly less). Most of the time I stick to using a single harmony set for a third above (high). I have one setting that uses a mild reverb and another with a bit of delay added. I use the harmony effect sparingly.

Mike
Old 05-25-2015, 08:46 AM
Charter Member

You'll really like the GXT I've got a buddy that uses one and I've snag through it countless times sitting in at his gigs. And don't leave it at home when you're playing gigs that you don't want to use it for harmonies. I've got a VL3 and it goes where I go. I think the harmony feature is just a small part of what this thing can do for you. The vocal EQ and effects that I've dialed in and leave on all the time are much more important than my harmony singers that I kick on occasionally. You really can richen up your voice considerably with one of these tools. The pitch correct feature is pretty much useless but the reverb, delay, compression and chorus are well worth taking it with you all the time.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 05-25-2015, 11:38 AM

More good advice guys! Thanks!
Old 05-25-2015, 01:08 PM

I have one as well, but my take is not as positive as the others. But this is limited to the harmonies. I find that the TV glitches or picks an incorrect harmony fairly often. My Digitech VL 3 rarely picks a bad harmony. I can't figure it out. I'd prefer to use the TC because it's built like a tank and smaller, but the harmony feature doesn't work nearly as well as the Digitech.
Old 05-25-2015, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielkn View Post
What ohiopicker said. It's an 'effect', so you've gotta use it as just that. If you try using it as a replacement for actual backup singers, you probably won't be too happy with it.

I'm using the Harmony G (not XT), so I'm not sure how much better the XT version got. I never turn the harmony mix past 9:00 though.
I used the original "G" and, upgraded to the "XT" when it came out. Just took a "shot in the dark" as I wondered how much better could it be? I've been pleased with the investment... improved noise gate, which makes the harmony "trigger" much more predictable. That being said, I agree, a little goes a long way. The real benefit of the tool is the studio effects, which were also an upgrade from the G version. It's "automatic", so you really only have to set the input knob and play. For me "simple is good".

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification