The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-22-2015, 04:43 AM

Default LR Baggs M1 (Active)

What are your thought about he M1 active.

It took me a while to get use to it.
Initally I found it very tinny sounding , but after adjusting the individaul poles with the Alan key they provided. Taming down a lot of the mids and highs.
Plus I added a LR Baggs Para DI and now I really love the sound.

I love the way the M1 is very eq friendly . I find it works best with a preamp or Para DI.
Also very feedback resistance, one of the best .
How does it compare with the Woody XL soundhole pickup which also has adjustable poles?
It sounds great Fingerpicking and strumming, with none of that piezo quack.
Dave

Last edited by Mr Blues; 05-22-2015 at 04:49 AM.
Old 05-22-2015, 05:08 AM

I use the regular Baggs M1 in my Seagull and plug it straight into my Fender guitar amps. It doesn't sound good to me through a preamp such as my Red-Eye.

The K&K pickups I use in my other guitars do sound better through the Red-Eye and I plug those guitars into a PA.

I don't know about the M1a...never even played one.

Seagull CW w/Baggs M1 pickup...National Vintage Steel Tricone...SWR California Blonde Amp
Old 05-22-2015, 05:17 AM

I use a AER compact 60/3.

I am currently using it with my Tanglewood rosewood Reserve.

When i use the M1 with my Martin DX1 , it does sound a bit different I have to reshape the eq.
But its a great soundhole pick up.

Dave
Old 05-22-2015, 06:46 AM

I have a M1A in my D-18...sounds like what you'd expect from a humbucking pickup...great for recording because it doesn't pick up room noise like a mic would.... You must remember to unplug it when not in use as the battery will wear down if you don't. It's a good idea to keep some extra batteries with you just in case...lots of people use these as I see them on guitars on tv quite a bit.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Ibanez Acoustic Bass 12 M1
Martin 12 string X Series
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

Formerly known as Martin Maniac.....

M
Old 05-22-2015, 09:53 AM

I use an M1A in my Ibanez Aw240 all mahogany guitar and love it! I only finger pick this guitar so I have no idea what she'd sound like with an actual pick, amplified or otherwise, but the combination of this pup and guitar is great.

The guitar is very full and mellow to begin with and the M1A just makes it louder. Yes I had to tweak the poles a bit due to the inherent volume of my Ibanez but after that I can't say enough good things about it.

One issue I have to still get used to is how the M1A also amplifies my touching the pickup itself. Of course it should be obvious that it would, it's just that I've never noticed how my fingers seem to slightly tap it every now and then. On my other a/e guitars with USTs, the sound hole is simply that, a hole. No electronics anywhere near it so my technique can be quite sloppy and no one's the wiser. With the M1A however, I must concentrate more on my right hand placement and technique.

I suppose this is just making me a better player!

At any rate, I love the pickup and highly recommend it. Just be aware the pole pieces will probably need some adjustments. Be patient with this as a little adjustment goes a long way.

If I could change one thing about it, I'd love to paint it black. With it being bright off-white, it sure stands out! I've thought about taking a sharpie to it but sanity returned and I didn't.

Best,
PJ
Old 05-22-2015, 10:47 AM

I don't use mine regularly, but I do keep it in my stage kit for those times when nothing else will do. I like it.
Old 05-24-2015, 07:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photojeep View Post

If I could change one thing about it, I'd love to paint it black. With it being bright off-white, it sure stands out!.
There is a black m1a. It's called the takamine tri-ax. It is literally a baggs m1a with a black cover and a takamine logo.
Old 05-30-2015, 11:39 AM

Thanks. I only wish I'd known before I bought the M1A. Oh well, maybe someday I'll take it apart and paint it...
Old 05-30-2015, 12:02 PM

I have a M1A that I use with my D-15M. Not the biggest fan of it if I'm playing a solo gig. However, with a band it sits in the mix really well.
Old 05-30-2015, 01:59 PM

I painted one of my M80s black using Krylon spray paint. The M80 top pops off easily and I presume the M1 does too.
Yamaha FSX800C
Bose L1c
Schertler Jam 100
Gretsch G2655
Gretsch G5655T

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification