The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-17-2015, 06:21 AM

Default Yamaha thr10c or thr10x

Wondering if anyone has used these modelling amps with an acoustic ?

I know the thr10c model has an acoustic amp setting but interested to hear people's thoughts ?

I like a lot of Dinosaur jr & nirvana so thought the thr10x might suit my needs more but still like other bands like the national and Jeff Buckley which would suit the c model more..

Confused..

I have electrics and one acoustic
Old 05-18-2015, 11:03 AM

I have not tried those, but there is a model called the THR5 acoustic, and instead of amp modelling choices, it has mic modelling choices. Pretty sweet. You can pick one up new for just over 2 bills.
Old 05-18-2015, 01:46 PM

I have the Thr 5 which is for electric guitar and it's great.
The Thr 5A is made for acoustic guitars.
Check it out on you tube. Great for practicing at reasonable volumes with great sound.

Yamaha FG700S Dread

Epiphone Joe Pass Hollowbody Electric

Epiphone Les Paul Special 1 p90's

Squier Stratocaster SE

Yamaha Thr 5 v.2 Amp

Behringer Ultracoustic AT-108 Amp

Bugera V5 Infinium Amp

Bugera 112 TS Cab

Peavey PVi 100 Microphone

Tascam DR05 Digital Recorder

Cubase AI 6
Old 05-18-2015, 02:50 PM

Awesome thanks guys - has anyone tried playing an acoustic through the largely electric based models (the c and x?) purely as I would love to have some of those effects running ony acoustic (as well as eledtric).
Old 05-18-2015, 05:53 PM

I have the 10c. The 10c has models of small tube combos like the Dr Z mini, blues junior, etc. The 10x has models of driven stacks, Marshall, Mesa, 5150s, etc. There are some great videos on YouTube that will help you tremendously.

THR10X
http://youtu.be/xVmFHAd0UaU

THR10C
http://youtu.be/WkZIp2dbJdo

1998 Very Sweet Wife
2000 Cute Daughter (Grand Concert)
2005 Handsome Son (Dreadnought)
2007 Lovely Daughter (Parlor)
2017 Cute Puppy (Duke the Uke)
Old 05-19-2015, 02:47 AM

Thanks matt. Do you plug your acoustic through the 10c ? And does it sound good through all the modelling amps? (Not just the acoustic setting)?

Have you used pedals with the ten c?
Old 05-21-2015, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroBailey View Post
Thanks matt. Do you plug your acoustic through the 10c ? And does it sound good through all the modelling amps? (Not just the acoustic setting)?

Have you used pedals with the ten c?
I just play it through the acoustic setting. I use the thr to play along to tracks of songs I am working on. Maybe add some reverb. I also play my strat and tele through it. Don't use any pedals w it. Sounds awesome. These are great practice amps.

1998 Very Sweet Wife
2000 Cute Daughter (Grand Concert)
2005 Handsome Son (Dreadnought)
2007 Lovely Daughter (Parlor)
2017 Cute Puppy (Duke the Uke)
Old 05-21-2015, 09:31 PM

Location: A small island off the coast of a bigger island off the coast of a giant continent

I have the 10C.... and I've played my '51 Epiphone archtop acoustic through it (and it sounds lovely). I'm just going to go grab a dread with a Baggs Lyric... will report back in 10
Old 05-21-2015, 10:23 PM

I have the 10C. The only amp model that works for me is the Deluxe so I still use a pedal for drive. I've tried a acoustic with a K&K through the acoustic model and it sounded great.
Old 05-21-2015, 10:34 PM

Location: A small island off the coast of a bigger island off the coast of a giant continent

Yup, the -28 with Lyric sounds great through it, too... but only on Acoustic setting. For quieter, night time noodling on the sofa, it's pretty much handled everything I throw at it. I've put all manner of electrics (humbuckers, singles, P-90's, P-13s) on it, I've even used a Jazz bass... bit of chorus on that and it sounds lovely. It won't get very gnarly with anything but that's ok, for me, I'm not using it for those kinda tones. It's even sounded good with a Gretsch resonator and the built-in pickup on that.

(If you get one, remember to download the THR Editor software too, it opens up a lot of under the hood controls for endless tweakery).
Old 05-22-2015, 12:33 AM

Just for grins, I made this tonight (after my last post)... just a quick ditty but entirely made (except for the drums) with the THR10C.

So, acoustic guitar is a -28 with Lyric double tracked. The electric guitars are both a Telecaster... different setting on the amp for the solo. The bass is a Jazz on the 'Bass' setting of the amp, with pick and a hair of chorus (and palm muted). All recorded through the USB into my Macbook Pro and Logic Pro X.
Old 05-22-2015, 10:05 PM

I was able to play a seagull acoustic through a thr5 today (not the acoustic model). I tried it through all the channels but the only one that really worked was the clean channel - the others broke up with any gain or effects on board. He didn't have the 5a or thr10 in stock so may have another crack next week.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification