The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Marketplace

Old 09-06-2012, 07:55 AM

Default V-Picks Guitar Picks - The ONLY Heat Tempered Guitar Pick on the Planet

Why are V-Picks superior to other guitar picks on the market today?

Here at V-Picks we temper our material with very high heat? Then they are flame buffed with 1500 degree hydrogen flame. I learned about this from an aquarium maker shortly after moving here to Nashville. What this does is change the consistency of the material inside. It compacts it and makes it much, much stronger. Please note here that I am using the word tempering for lack of a better word. It is not the exact same as you would temper, say, steel or iron. Without giving away secrets, lets just say this; many materials can be tempered with heat. For instance steel and glass. It does not change the fact that they are steel or glass, it just changes their strength characteristics. If you think about it, even wood is tempered, in a way, by being petrified. So it is with acrylic. We simply make it more dense with this process. This is why V-Picks last so long and also whey they glide across the strings so nicely. Compare them sometime, side by side with other acrylic picks. And not just for a moment, but for a month. You will see who puts the time into making a guitar pick that makes a difference.

Acrylic picks made from other companies are simply buffed on a buffer/grinder wheel. As this does make the pick pretty, it does nothing for the underlying material. When you are hand buffing a pick, it will raise the temperature above what you can comfortably hold, however it does not get nearly hot enough to strengthen the inner material. It simply takes off the sharp, rough top surface, but underneath is still the same porous character. Have you noticed how other acrylic picks made today wear fast and show pitting and dips in them after just a bit of time? This is one of the reasons why. Once you play the pick for a while, you wear down thru the "rubbed/buffed" surface and then you are right back into porous territory. Just like a Butterfinger candy bar. If you ask them if their picks are heat tempered, they will say their picks are subjected to high heat. They are simply talking about the temperature that the buffer wheel causes. This is NOT heat tempering and does NOTHING for the integrity of the material. So, in other words, NO, they are not heat tempered.

First of all, the right material must be selected. We don't just buy any acrylic here at V-Picks. We S/O our material and sometimes, as you may know, it can take months to get it here. We mix our 2 favorite acrylics together to get the exact look, feel, gripping quality, durability and tone that I like. This is our very own proprietary formula. Our own special sauce. You will not find this with any other acrylic pick company. It is a much more expensive process, but I think it is WAY worth it. I have been down the other road and this is definitely the higher route.

You may ask, why does any of this make a difference? Well, let me ask you something. Would you rather drive a Ford or a Ferrari? It is indeed that simple.

When you play a V-Pick, you are playing with new technology. Years of experimenting and discovering and reinventing is represented in every pick we send out of our doors. This is why V-Picks are played by Carlos Santana, Steely Dan, Aerosmith, Counting Crows and others. They are simply the best. Are they perfect? Not yet. But I am sure working on it!!!

http://youtu.be/gsYb-NQFDy8

http://v-picks.com/

Last edited by V-Picks; 11-20-2013 at 04:18 PM.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:05 AM

V-Pick Tourbox headed your way...

Old 09-09-2012, 07:44 AM

Old 09-09-2012, 10:13 AM
AGF Owner & Founder

Love it!!!! Gotta get me a lone star.
Old 09-09-2012, 03:22 PM

Tour box? Do tell!!
Old 09-11-2012, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munkeyfish View Post
Tour box? Do tell!!
One of the guys over at The Gear Page Forum set up a Tourbox full of V-Picks. Here is the link.

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/sho...v-pick+tourbox
Old 09-13-2012, 02:35 PM

Thought this was pretty funny...

Old 09-14-2012, 06:24 AM

thanks for the info Vinni/ V-Picks. I think I got in on the tourbox today.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:34 AM

Using the correct guitar pick can improve one's playing. It's true!

Old 09-22-2012, 10:35 AM

Old 09-22-2012, 05:52 PM

Just placed another order for some more V picks.

I had a bunch of fun last night going through every pick in my stash with my 5 year old daughter. She was fascinated that they all had different sounds. I selected some different thicknesses to try out, and to add to my preferred stash.

Her favorites, the Insanity, and the Nite Glow medium rounded. Her assessment was not on tone alone however... I like the blue traditional lites, and use the Insanity often as well. The difference in an 11mm pick is huge!

now I need to find a tiny guitar, she wants to play too!
Old 09-25-2012, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFW View Post
Just placed another order for some more V picks.

I had a bunch of fun last night going through every pick in my stash with my 5 year old daughter. She was fascinated that they all had different sounds. I selected some different thicknesses to try out, and to add to my preferred stash.

Her favorites, the Insanity, and the Nite Glow medium rounded. Her assessment was not on tone alone however... I like the blue traditional lites, and use the Insanity often as well. The difference in an 11mm pick is huge!

now I need to find a tiny guitar, she wants to play too!
Your daughter sounds a lot like mine.
Old 09-26-2012, 12:38 PM

Check out this INCREDIBLE video that a V-Pick customer sent me...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWQUN...ature=youtu.be
Old 09-27-2012, 07:25 PM

Hey everyone, we have a booth at the IBMA Bluegrass festival this weekend. if you are in the Nashville area, come by and say Hi.

Also, if you have not seen this V-Pick video yet, check it out...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWQUN...ature=youtu.be

\V/
Old 09-28-2012, 07:35 PM

Hey everyone, we have a booth at the IBMA Bluegrass festival this weekend. if you are in the Nashville area, come by and say Hi.

We will be sending all your orders out on Monday. Thanks for your patience and for playing our picks!

Vinni

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Marketplace