The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Marketplace

Old 06-14-2011, 09:35 PM

Default Handmade Guitar Picks

Gravity Guitar Picks

http://www.gravitypicks.com

Hi everyone. My name is Chris. I make guitar picks in California. I am new to this forum. These picks are handmade one by one. If you would like a free sample pick to try out and see if it's for you, I will gladly send one.

I need you to go www.gravitypicks.com and email me your mailing address and the current pick you are playing. I would appreciate any feedback on the site and/or the picks. Thanks in advance.

The picks range from .75mm-6mm.

Chris

Last edited by GravityPicks; 11-06-2013 at 12:49 PM. Reason: different picture
Old 06-15-2011, 04:37 AM
Charter Member

you know what i'd like to see on your site? info regarding what the picks are made of, how that material was chosen and how they are made.
Old 06-15-2011, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patticake View Post
you know what i'd like to see on your site? info regarding what the picks are made of, how that material was chosen and how they are made.
ditto!!!!!!!!!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 06-15-2011, 12:50 PM

I agree with the previous posters. I'm a pick junkie and I like the looks of your offerings, but I need a bit more info on the materials before I order.

A few Canadian and American Guitars
Old 06-15-2011, 01:37 PM

Please refer to the guide tab at the top of the website. If that still doesn't answer your questions, I will be happy to answer them on the thread.

Thanks,

Chris

Premium, Handmade Guitar Picks. With great care and precision, we offer these to you. Available in all Sam Ash Music locations.

Old 06-15-2011, 03:07 PM

Ah...I guess I missed that on the first trip through your site. I see now they are cast acrylic. I may have to try one of your "package deals" soon.

Thanks for joining and letting us know about your products!

A few Canadian and American Guitars
Old 06-16-2011, 03:39 AM

great picks just got my order
Old 06-16-2011, 09:11 AM

Great looking picks to be sure but at the rate I loose picks I just can't justify a $4 pick. Course at $4 a piece I just might stop loosing them.
Old 06-16-2011, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyFrank View Post
Great looking picks to be sure but at the rate I loose picks I just can't justify a $4 pick. Course at $4 a piece I just might stop loosing them.
Just don't try a Blue Chip. I'm addicted to the sound and feel of those! And I watch 'em like a hawk to make sure they don't escape.

Kolaya Carmen, Trek parlor (by Harv L), Martin 000-28EC, Taylor GC-5 and 355.
Old 06-17-2011, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyFrank View Post
Can I send you a sample? Have you already given me your address

Premium, Handmade Guitar Picks. With great care and precision, we offer these to you. Available in all Sam Ash Music locations.

Last edited by GravityPicks; 06-17-2011 at 12:23 AM. Reason: Forgot to add a picture
Old 06-17-2011, 07:06 AM
*mahoganut*

Chris, thanks for being a sponsor! The picks look interesting, and I'll be figuring out what I'd like to try. Nice website, btw!

Best,

Phil

Paragon RW/Macassar Ebony Baritone
Rainsong S OM1100-N2
Woolson LS RW/30s African mahogany LG 12
Baranik LS RW/"tree" mahogany OO
Baranik Blue Spruce/"tree" mahogany OM
Boswell RW/koa OO
Baranik Retreux Parlour Adi/Pumaquiro
Baranik Blue Spruce/Coco Meridian "Geo"
Baranik Blue Spruce/Kingwood OO
Woolson T13 RW/Walnut SIG
Old 06-18-2011, 04:09 PM

Default Gravity Picks

Hi folks,
I had e-mailed Chris for a pick, and received a package with about 6 of them. What a great start! I was using a Planet Waves Surpick, and a Blue Chip TPR 50 for my mandolin. My wife was using a V-pick for her tenor guitar.
We are both very pleased with the performance of the pack that we received. I have settled on the Gravity Classic for my Martin D35, and it gives me great articulation and volume. Really wonderful for lead lines, and rhythm playing. I am using a Gravity Striker XL for my mandolin, and really like the tone and playability I am getting as well. I believe I have the 1.75mm in both picks, while my wife is using a Striker in a 3mm for her tenor guitar. She is quite pleased, and prefers the Gravity pick over the V-pick. She says"the pick really glides over the strings, but I can dig in a bit more when I want to.
Chris, thanks again for the wonderful product, I'll be calling soon to order more.
Very well done,
Rick and Cindy Benjamin
Old 06-21-2011, 05:02 AM

I received my sample Gravity pick yesterday..it's the 1.5mm XL model..

Very nice..feels great in the hand and sounds nice and warm..

Nice job on these Chris..

Highly recommended..!!

Thanks,
LC
Old 06-21-2011, 05:06 AM

Thanks for the sample. I tried the traditional shaped mini and so far I really like it. What a great way to get your product out there. Thanks again.
Hal

BTW - Just placed my order for a few more. Thanks Chris

Last edited by hpeeler; 06-21-2011 at 08:51 AM.
Old 06-21-2011, 02:14 PM

Received my sample Gravity Picks from Chris yesterday. Got a Classic 1.5mm and 3mm Striker to try out.

First let me say that I've been using a Red Bear Style B medium tortis pick pretty much exclusively since 2007. I've tried countless other picks of various materials and thicknesses to see if there was anything else out there that I liked better (and that might be cheaper than $20 per pick!) but never found anything that compared. I do use a custom sterling silver pick or a teakwood pick for special effects types of sounds on occasion but for my everyday strumming and flatpicking plectrum its been the Red Bear.

So with my sample Gravity Picks in hand I went at my 3 favorite instruments: A Collings D2H, Martin Custom DSM and a Martin J-15. The first thing that I realized was that the 3mm Striker was too thick for the way I play. Probably would be a great pick for a gypsy jazzer or someone who is used to a thicker gauge. Just not for me.

The Gravity Classic felt great though. Had a similar feel to the Red Bear that I am used to. First strum on the D2H produced a bright and articulate sound. The tone was what I had come to expect from that guitar when using the RB with perhaps a bit more sustain and a little less 'roundness' to the midrange. On the DSM the Gravity pick produced an overall tone that was a bit more focused with more midrange clarity than with the RB. The gravity pick's effect on the J-15 produced the biggest difference. It effected a clarity and sparkle that was remarkable! I really prefered the sound of the Gravity Pick to the RB on this instrument. That is exactly the type of difference that I have come to expect when comparing the RB to other picks. This time the tables were turned.

As I dug in a little more with single note runs I noticed that the Gravity Pick had less resistence across the strings. Seemed to glide just a bit more easily. It did produce more pick noise than the RB on the wound strings but that could be something that is due more to my technique and lack of experience with the Gravity Pick than with the pick itself. Even if it is part of the Gravity Pick's inherent quality, I would not characterize the string noise as excessive.

Next, I had my wife sit about 15 feet away and listen while I strummed and picked a few tunes on my D2H and DSM with both the RB and Gravity Pick. In a blind test she was able to correctly identify when I switched picks and consistently characterized the tone and sound produced by the Gravity Pick as seeming to project more. However she was not willing to say that one sounded better than the other. She thought they both sounded great.

Overall I thought that the Gravity pick consistently produced a characterisically clear and articulate tone with outstanding sustain. The difference between the tone it produced and the RB varied with the instrument involved in this relative order J-15>>DSM>D2H. The quality of the tone and feel of the pick are extremely similar to what I have come to expect in my favorite Red Bear pick. At $4.99 for a Gravity Pick vs $20 for a Red Bear I'm willing to say that the Gravity Pick is the best bargain in a high quality pick I've ever had the pleasure to try.

Thanks again, Chris for the sample! You've got a terrific product! Just placed my order.

walt

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Marketplace