The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-27-2008, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Is a $100 classical a waste of money?
In my opinion, the only consideration is whether or not it will bring you $100 worth of enjoyment. Chances are, it will.

One of the things I learned early on when I stumbled across this forum was how easy it is for people to spend someone else's money! If someone posts a "I'm thinking about buying ..." message, no matter what the guitar or the price point, there will be many responses saying "save up a few hundred dollars more and buy a ... (whatever their favorite guitar is)." There are probably many people who never bought a guitar because they could not afford to follow the "advice," or who are hesitant to participate in this forum because they bought a guitar that so many people criticized. That is sad.

Buying a $100 classical that brings you enjoyment is certainly a better investment than buying a $5,000 custom guitar that you end up selling for $3,000 because you were disappointed. Even if you decide down the road you did not want to keep it, giving it away will cost you less than spending $500 or $1000, and selling it for 75% (or less) of what you paid.

Buy it, and play it proudly!
Old 12-27-2008, 10:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRed51 View Post
In my opinion, the only consideration is whether or not it will bring you $100 worth of enjoyment. Chances are, it will.

One of the things I learned early on when I stumbled across this forum was how easy it is for people to spend someone else's money! If someone posts a "I'm thinking about buying ..." message, no matter what the guitar or the price point, there will be many responses saying "save up a few hundred dollars more and buy a ... (whatever their favorite guitar is)." There are probably many people who never bought a guitar because they could not afford to follow the "advice," or who are hesitant to participate in this forum because they bought a guitar that so many people criticized. That is sad.

Buying a $100 classical that brings you enjoyment is certainly a better investment than buying a $5,000 custom guitar that you end up selling for $3,000 because you were disappointed. Even if you decide down the road you did not want to keep it, giving it away will cost you less than spending $500 or $1000, and selling it for 75% (or less) of what you paid.

Buy it, and play it proudly!

I'm going to the GC after lunch!

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 12-28-2008, 03:32 AM

I bought a Yamaha G-231 at a pawn shop down at Myrtle Beach for $100. I don't hold the instrument in high regard but it's fun to plunk around on. I've even had the idea of replacing the plastic nut and saddle with some white tail antler I have laying around. It'd be cool t have a antler nut for giggles. It'd have o sound beter than the cheapo plasic.

Then again the idea of putting a sound hole pick up in it is interesting as well. Never know. Throw down the hundy and have some fun with it. You'll never miss the hundred bucks.
POD X3 Live

Listen with your ears, not your eyes!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion