The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Marketplace

Old 12-01-2013, 06:11 PM

Chris sent me a small assortment of picks. They are so much warmer than my usual Fender Mediums. The Classic 1.1 or 1.5 is great on my mandolin. I prefer the Classic .75 over the the 1.1 for acoustic flat picking. I love the feel of the Classic .75 as an alternative to the Fender Med for my electrics, but I can't really check the electric sounds (pinch harmonics etc.) as my visiting 3 year year old granddaughter's bedroom is nearby. I'll crank things up tomorrow night. Thanks for the picks Chris, I think I'm a convert!
Old 12-05-2013, 12:30 AM
Charter Member

Default Handmade Guitar Picks

Chris,
I sent you an email through your website. Thanks.
Old 12-08-2013, 06:46 PM

Premium, Handmade Guitar Picks. With great care and precision, we offer these to you. Available in all Sam Ash Music locations.

http://www.gravitypicks.com
Old 12-08-2013, 07:53 PM

I ordered 4 more! Waiting to get em and excited too!
Eastman AC412
Alvarez AP70
Yamaha LS16R A.R.E.

Gone:
Martin 000MMV
Martin MMV x2
Yamaha FG700S
Guild GAD30 Padauk
Want a bunch more...
Old 12-15-2013, 03:20 PM

Got 'email plus a lil Xmas bonus! Love them!!!
Eastman AC412
Alvarez AP70
Yamaha LS16R A.R.E.

Gone:
Martin 000MMV
Martin MMV x2
Yamaha FG700S
Guild GAD30 Padauk
Want a bunch more...
Old 12-15-2013, 04:20 PM
Charter Member

I got my sample picks. I really love the .75 Standard pick Classic. I love the Striker 1.1 Standard also. Both handle single note leads very well. The Striker 1.1 adds a bit too much noise clickety noise that the .75 doesn't when strumming. I wish the Standard Classic wasn't clear color and could be ordered in something else as I keep losing it on the table, rug, etc!

Thanks for letting me try out the picks!
Old 12-23-2013, 10:53 AM

Default Picks from Chris

I received .75mm and 1.1mm Gravity Classic Standards from Chris recently and they are very nice, high quality, picks. The .75mm is great for strumming, with less "pick click" than traditional celluloid and more clarity than Tortex (which, to my ear are muddy sounding), in comparable gauges. A little more "pick click" than a Blue Chip TD35 (which is the nearest available comparable gauge at .89mm), but the higher price may not be worth the sonic difference to many players, particularly strummers who enjoy medium size picks.

The Gravity 1.1mm excels at single note runs and glides through the strings in a manner that is similar to a BC TD45 (which is essentially the same gauge). Still, a more pronounced pick sound against the strings while strumming, but a great value, and noticeable improvement to other commonly seen materials. I did perceive a mid-range bump with the 1.1mm Gravity pick that was similar to a 1.5mm buffalo horn pick, but not as pronounced. For some players, guitars, or situations, this may be a desirable attribute.

So overall, thanks to Chris, and I would recommend these picks to anyone interested in upgrading from less expensive picks.
Old 01-07-2014, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder68 View Post
I received .75mm and 1.1mm Gravity Classic Standards from Chris recently and they are very nice, high quality, picks. The .75mm is great for strumming, with less "pick click" than traditional celluloid and more clarity than Tortex (which, to my ear are muddy sounding), in comparable gauges. A little more "pick click" than a Blue Chip TD35 (which is the nearest available comparable gauge at .89mm), but the higher price may not be worth the sonic difference to many players, particularly strummers who enjoy medium size picks.

The Gravity 1.1mm excels at single note runs and glides through the strings in a manner that is similar to a BC TD45 (which is essentially the same gauge). Still, a more pronounced pick sound against the strings while strumming, but a great value, and noticeable improvement to other commonly seen materials. I did perceive a mid-range bump with the 1.1mm Gravity pick that was similar to a 1.5mm buffalo horn pick, but not as pronounced. For some players, guitars, or situations, this may be a desirable attribute.

So overall, thanks to Chris, and I would recommend these picks to anyone interested in upgrading from less expensive picks.
Thanks for the comments and recommendation. The picks will be available in booth #3395 at the NAMM show in a few weeks.

Chris

Premium, Handmade Guitar Picks. With great care and precision, we offer these to you. Available in all Sam Ash Music locations.

Old 01-07-2014, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravityPicks View Post
Thanks for the comments and recommendation. The picks will be available in booth #3395 at the NAMM show in a few weeks.

Chris
Chris, great to hear you'll be at NAMM, I'll make sure to stop in to say hi. Still lovin those picks you sent me.

Ted
Old 04-06-2014, 10:55 PM
Charter Member

Well I've been meaning to post a quick review of these picks for quite awhile but now I have to share something that happened to me at church today.

Chris is an awesome guy, and I contacted him because of this thread and he graciously send me some samples of his picks for free. I told him that my main go-to pick was the Dunlop Tortex .60, so he sent me a couple of his classic standard picks - a .75 and a 1.5 I believe.

I liked the .75 a lot right off the bat - it really gives a beautiful round tone to the guitar that makes my usual Dunlops sound downright brittle by comparison. It seems to be a softer material than a lot of other picks I've used like the Dunlop, and I think that translates into a warmer tone which I really liked. Its easy to play with too and I didn't notice any more pick noise than usual at all. I wasn't that into the 1.5mm - it was just too thick for me. I have a Blue Chip I really like now but besides that I really like thinner picks.

So today I was playing my 000-18 GE at church and used my usual Dunlops for most of the set - a lot of strumming and some arpeggiated picking. The second to last song was a slower number with just me and the other vocalist so I grabbed the Gravity .75 thinking I would change things up a bit just for my own amusement. Played the song and it felt great, then onto the last song and didn't think anything else of it. After the service though the sound guy (who is a good friend and I trust completely with all things sound) came running up to me and said "What did you do differently on that second to last song? The change was huge - it just made your guitar pop out and come forward in the mix and sounded amazing!" He was thinking I did something with my pedals or pickup but nope - it was all the pick!

So theres my review - I don't think I could say it any better than that. Gravity picks sound so awesome even your sound guy will notice! I don't know that they work for everything (for me anyway) - I still like the Dunlops for faster strummed stuff in a full band mix, but for lower key pieces where you want to feature the guitar a bit more they seem to have an unbeatable tone. Definitely something I'm going to keep in my arsenal for a long time!

-Mike
Old 04-11-2014, 09:07 AM

Old 04-11-2014, 09:46 AM

Location: A small island off the coast of a bigger island off the coast of a giant continent

I'm absolutely brand new to this forum... so still discovering old threads/new threads and stumbled across this one. I can't pretend that I've read all the way through twenty pages of threads but it's actually really cool to see a company start up and progress through it's first three years all online. So, congratulations to Chris and Gravity Picks.

I only discovered 'boutique' picks about a year and a half ago when I first played with a V-Pick... and since then I've also acquired a couple of Blue Chips. I just recently added some Tusq's into the mix too. I really enjoy being able to change up the sound and feel depending on what guitar, what strings and what vibe I'm trying to get.

I look forward to stumbling across someone with a Gravity pick soon...
Old 04-24-2014, 05:47 AM

Chris sent me a Classic .75. Nice pick. Stays put in the fingers. Has a bit off flex. I like it.
Old 04-25-2014, 05:19 AM

Wow, what a way to get welcomed as a sponsor! Just sent in my request.
All right you other potential sponsors, pay attention, because this is the way to get noticed!

-------------------------
Alvarez Yairi DY 57 1978
Yamaha FG-110
Yamaha FG-160
Yamaha FG-180
Yamaha FG-800
Fender partscaster
Fender MIM Jazz Bass
Five old dead basses awaiting resuscitation
Old 05-01-2014, 03:27 PM

I just got my samples today.The clear one is just the right thickness,works great on my Taylor.The red pick is too thick for my style,but thank you for them,anyway.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Marketplace