The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 07-02-2011, 08:31 AM

Default Logic Pro Users

I just picked up this software, and so far, I like it. It was a hefty install, but I was up and running in just a few minutes after the install. I noticed that when I played back my recording through my monitors, I had to turn down the volume quite a bit to a comfortable listening level. When I used Reaper, I had to turn it up to 6 or 7, now it is set at 2. It is probably just my imagination, but it seems to sound better. I also noticed that the recording bar moves smoothly from left to right during recording, which wasn't the case with Reaper.

Now, I need to learn how to get hardware effects into the mix, so any help with that would be apreciated.
Old 07-02-2011, 08:55 AM

I've been using Logic for a few years now. Over time, I've gradually grown to like it even more and more as I learn about how to use more of its features. Unfortunately, I can't really help you with the hardware effects, but I'm curious which ones you're using. Seems like the effects available in Logic Pro are plentiful and most of them of extremely high quality. Using the software effects is also more convenient when it comes to mixing / bouncing. Of course, I don't actually own any hardware effects, so I'm not really qualified to say you should use one over the other - I'm just curious what you're looking to do with the hardware.
Old 07-02-2011, 09:10 AM

Hi Ferg!

I have the Lexicon PCM-92 for hardware reverb. I did check out some of the verbs in Logic, and they do sound nice. Up until now, I wasn't happy with any plug-ins I was using, so I got the Lex PCM. So far, I love the reverbs in the PCM.
Old 07-03-2011, 08:44 AM

No experience with the Lexicon, but the Space Designer in Logic is RIDICULOUS. Not to mention the obvious benefits of a plugin - unlimited variations track-to-track, multiple verbs/delays on the same track, automation, etc, etc, which you can't get with a hardware unit.

I'm sure that the Lexicon is high quality, just not as flexible or convenient. You really owe it to yourself to delve into what Logic has just to see if you find something that fits your needs before messing with wiring in hardware.
Old 07-03-2011, 09:22 AM

I will definitely do that!
Old 07-03-2011, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Shepherd View Post
I just picked up this software, and so far, I like it. It was a hefty install, but I was up and running in just a few minutes after the install. I noticed that when I played back my recording through my monitors, I had to turn down the volume quite a bit to a comfortable listening level. When I used Reaper, I had to turn it up to 6 or 7, now it is set at 2. It is probably just my imagination, but it seems to sound better. I also noticed that the recording bar moves smoothly from left to right during recording, which wasn't the case with Reaper.

Now, I need to learn how to get hardware effects into the mix, so any help with that would be apreciated.
If you heard a better sound from the same bits you have just experienced a concrete and verifiable case of "confirmation bias." Folks trying to evaluate modern recording equipment need to know a lot about the wrinkles in human perception, otherwise we'll reach a lot of erroneous conclusions.

The volume difference is probably related to a metering offset in the master fader.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 07-03-2011, 11:55 AM

i've used logic for a couple of years and really like it.
i also use the software plugins and find the space designer to be really a great one.
so that you can find info about logic and using your hardware, here are a couple of excellent sources that you should check out.
the first is the apple discussion forum for logic.
https://discussions.apple.com/commun...categoryID=231

this one is also for logic users but is a third party source. note that both of these sources provide great information and assistance.

http://www.logicprohelp.com/forums.p...6ce11586b8e4c3

have fun!!
play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 07-03-2011, 12:39 PM

Rick,

Create a stereo aux track. Go to your effects choices (the insert section). There is a choice labeled "utility". Under that pull down menu there is then a choice labeled i/o. Select i/o. Tell that i/o page where the Lexicon is plugged in.

Done.
Old 07-03-2011, 12:51 PM
Charter Member

Default Aloha Rick

Aloha Rick,

I have also been using Logic Pro for a few years now & really like it's workflow, the high quality of its plug-in's, & unbelievable stability using Apogee interfaces (not a single crash!).

I also have an external TC Electronics M-2000 FX unit with some great reverbs but never use it for recording now because of the quality of Logic Pro's Space Designer. However, when I want the best reverb choices I have heard, I use Altiverb 6, a fantastic convolution reverb software that I got second-hand for a decent price (a Sdelsolray suggestion years ago, Mahalo Steve). Altiverb offers world-class reverb & you should check that out. But Space Designer is also great & free.

I guess I would agree with the others here in that you should try Logic's Space Designer first before hooking up your Lexicon. Or try something like Altiverb's software.

In fact, I did hook up my M-2000 & used its reverbs when I was first experimenting with Logic Pro. So it is very doable in terms of hooking up your Lexicon. I just can't remember off the top of my head the exact steps in how I did it. It wasn't rocket science. I'll research & get back to you later, Rick.

In terms of choosing a DAW, I tried out all the free downloads of some 15 DAW's before I actually bought one to get a feel for the workflows of each. I started w/ PTLE but quickly left because of its bugginess & instability. Reaper was fine for PC's but did not offer the workflow or feature set I was looking for. I guess I just wanted a full-featured, pro-level DAW & was willing to pay for it.

There are still only two of those: PTHD & Logic Pro. HD is overkill & too expensive for my needs so I adopted Logic Pro 9. Although complicated at first, I'm slowly getting to feel comfortable with it so using it is not a distraction from the creative process, as computer recording can be for some of us home recording players - like me. But it's completely stable for my simple uses & has been a revelation after the insane amount of crashes w/PTLE & several PC's.

IMO, home recording players should check out the workflows of DAW's before they buy to find a workflow that suits their specific sensibilities. It's a case of not knowing before you actually try it. Like choosing vocal mic's, others opinions don't really matter in selectingDAW's

My only regret with Logic Pro 9 is that I'm probably not going to take advantage of its amazing library of free sounds, samples & loops because I only record what I play. I sure have fun combining those free samples though.

Best of Luck Rick!

BTW, I just saw Joseph's suggestion. That's right on, Joseph!

A Hui Hou!
alohachris

Last edited by alohachris; 07-03-2011 at 01:08 PM.
Old 07-03-2011, 01:18 PM

Excellent info everyone thanks! I will take a close look at the Space Designer. Joseph, thanks for the instruction on hardware reverb input!
I can tell this will be lots of fun!
Old 07-03-2011, 01:36 PM

Yea Rick there are numerous ways we can integrate the Lex into Logic and there's of course several options on how best to freeze that track.

That said there aren't many software verbs that are as viable as Space Designer. The Lexicon software stuff is the only soft-verb that I can honestly say is better than Space Designer.

I've mentioned many times here on this forum (especially when it a question of Logic Pro vs Logic Express) the small eincrease of cost from Logic Express to Logic Pro is worth every penny and more for the Space Designer alone. Nobody seems to get that?!?

Further Space Designer and Freeze Tracks have changed the way I mix for the better. I used to be forced to use aux send and return scenarios for reverbs but now I'm MUCH more inclined to insert a Space Designer on individual tracks and then freeze it.

You can of course do something similar with your outboard verbs but you will be forced to write down (or save to a user pre-set) your settings if after freezing the outboard Lexicon track you move on to another reverb setting. With Space Designer it (the reverb settings) are frozen and recall-able with the track.
Old 07-03-2011, 02:23 PM

Joseph, Thanks!

Understood, that I would need to save the reverb preset that I like in the PCM92.

I know there are many threads across many forums about what sounds better, plug-ins or hardware effects, that I cannot really answer for myself at this point. I will just let my ears decide what I like better for each situation. I have heard a few people say they sold the Lex plugin bundle because they think the hardware effects are the way to go, but I see pros and cons to each side of the argument. It's just nice have have the option of using both.

What exactly is "Freezing Tracks"? Can you explain?
Old 07-03-2011, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Shepherd View Post
Joseph, Thanks!

Understood, that I would need to save the reverb preset that I like in the PCM92.

I know there are many threads across many forums about what sounds better, plug-ins or hardware effects, that I cannot really answer for myself at this point. I will just let my ears decide what I like better for each situation. I have heard a few people say they sold the Lex plugin bundle because they think the hardware effects are the way to go, but I see pros and cons to each side of the argument. It's just nice have have the option of using both.

What exactly is "Freezing Tracks"? Can you explain?
Freeze tracks are nothing more than a DAW's ability to quickly (less than real time) re-record a track with accompanying plug-ins, or in your case outboard devices. Everything about the track "appears visually" the same expect in your case the Lex reverb would have been recorded. Kinda behind the scene and in a matter of seconds. That of course free's the Lexicon for another track. Further it's easily un-doable should you happen to decide deeper in the mix the reverb setting was a poor choice. The same thing can be said if you apply freeze tracks to soft-synths or plug in's.

The only downside is the size of the session can grow fairly quickly as you indeed are adding another audio track each time you freeze.
Old 07-13-2011, 02:44 PM

I have been trying out different effects in Logic, but how do I undo the effects?
Old 07-13-2011, 02:59 PM
Charter Member

Ideally, you add effects on mix down and they aren't destructive. You should just be able to toggle them on and off. Some effects, like reverb, are better on a bus.

If you like your Lex reverb, check out the lexicon plugins. Not like you need to buy anything else, right? :-) They're pricey, but very impressive. If you want to use your hardware, check out the IO plugin, it can be inserted just like any plugin effect and routes the signal to a digital out, and takes the input back in, even computing apporpriate delay compensation. This assumes you have the audio card to somehow handle IO to the hardware.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD