The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 10-29-2013, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Great pedalboard snapshot! Does BYOC mean Build Your Own Clone? What is the YOD based on?
Yup, Build Your Own Clone. After I buy and build their Tweed amp kit, I plan on adding a Tube Screamer kit to the board. I had to look up the Yellow OD, it's a clone of the original Boss OD-1. I really enjoy building the kits and decorating the enclosures.

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 10-29-2013, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintj View Post
Yup, Build Your Own Clone. After I buy and build their Tweed amp kit, I plan on adding a Tube Screamer kit to the board. I had to look up the Yellow OD, it's a clone of the original Boss OD-1. I really enjoy building the kits and decorating the enclosures.
Cool! So is BYOC a company or individual who sells the raw parts or is it a generic acronym? They also do amps and not just pedals?
Old 10-29-2013, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Again, great gear! I've never played a Carol-Ann (I'm assuming most folks haven't) but it looks sweet. I can't recall, what tubes in it?
Dru,

It can take either 6L6 (about 30 watts) or 6V6 tubes (around 18 watts) with no biasing - just replace the tubes and flip a switch. I go back and forth on my choice; currently, I have the 6V6 tubes in it, it sounds a bit snottier with them. It all depends upon my mood.

The biggest draw for me is the fact that it has the best master volume in the business - great tones at genuine bedroom levels, and with lots more flexibility than amps that just drop the wattage down.

I can take it to the band room on campus and rattle the rafters. But I also play through this amp late at night, and no one in my complex has threatened to get me evicted yet!

I own a guitar.
Old 10-29-2013, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Cool! So is BYOC a company or individual who sells the raw parts or is it a generic acronym? They also do amps and not just pedals?
Pedal kits, amp kits, tools, etc. They are at buildyourownclone.com . Friend of mine who builds and operates ham radio gear turned me on to them last year.

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 10-30-2013, 07:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Great pedalboard snapshot! Does BYOC mean Build Your Own Clone? What is the YOD based on?
The Yellow Overdrive is a Boss OD-1 clone. More details here - I'm very pleased with it, and the kits are fun to build.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 10-30-2013, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintj View Post
Pedal kits, amp kits, tools, etc. They are at buildyourownclone.com . Friend of mine who builds and operates ham radio gear turned me on to them last year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eatswodo View Post
The Yellow Overdrive is a Boss OD-1 clone. More details here - I'm very pleased with it, and the kits are fun to build.
Thanks to both of you for the BYOC info. I checked out the website. I think this would be something I'd like to try. Based on your experience or research:
  • the kit includes quality components?
  • the pedal produces tone that is similar to the pedal it is cloning and possibly "better" (I know this is very subjective).

Thanks!
Old 10-30-2013, 03:56 PM

One of the things that shows up when doing modern reproductions of old gear is that sometimes the old caps, resistors, etc are not as tight a tolerance as quality new parts so you get a little tone variance there. They usually reverse engineer the original using several of them to get an average. They also try to match the original transistors, IC chips, etc when they design their kits. My fuzz pedal does not sound exactly like the original due to they were out of the original spec germanium transistors when I ordered, but that is an easy swap when I get around to it. I can't tell any difference between my Bluesbreaker and Big Muff clones and the originals when they are on, but the true bypass when they are off makes them completely transparent. The instructions are very clear, and are on the page for each pedal if you want see what you are in for before you order.

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 10-30-2013, 04:18 PM
Charter Member

I really can't comment on how good a clone the Yellow Overdrive is, because I've never played through an OD-1.

To my ears, though, it's very pleasing, although a little bass-light. It does use the same IC as the original, so that probably means it's pretty faithful. There's a simple mod to give it a bit more body, though - I've got the components, but haven't tried it yet. I'm toying with the idea of making it a switchable option.

You should be able to find video demos (of the usual variable quality) of many of their kits on YouTube.

The components seem first-rate to me - and I agree with Clint that the instructions are very clear. Excellent community support on their forum as well - I had some issues with mine, and after posting photos there I was able to resolve it very easily (a couple of poor solder joints I missed). The only annoyance is that currently they are supplying power sockets which fasten with a nut on the inside of the enclosure. This is a real pain if you have to take things apart to rework anything. Thankfully, Mammoth Electronics has the same thing with an external nut, so I've stocked up on a few of those for my future builds. I'm sure you can get them elsewhere.

Finally, if the notion of painting metal boxes doesn't appeal, Mammoth offers pre-drilled enclosures for most (if not all) of the BYOC kits, and will paint them for you in a huge variety of colours - for a very modest price. That's where my 'YOD' box came from. I've already bought one for the Tremolo kit I have waiting to be built, and one for the Chorus which will be next on the list.
Cordoba Stage

Old 10-30-2013, 04:26 PM
Charter Member

Here's an article about BYOC from Premier Guitar a few years ago:

http://www.premierguitar.com/article...ur-own-clone-1
Cordoba Stage

Old 10-31-2013, 09:32 AM

my current setup:

'81 Mesa Boogie Mark2b, 60 watt with GEQ, no reverb

Avatar Vintage closed back 1x12 w/Celestion g12c-30
(1) Roland Closed back w/Celestion Heritage G12H-55
(1) Roland Closed back w/Celestion Greenback
(1) Demeter Isolation cabinet with (3) speaker combos: Eminence Legend 122, Carvin British series or Celestion V30.
Yamaha DG stomp in the fx loop of the boogie.
Weber Mass Lite
Palmer PDI-09 'Junction'
pedals: Isp Decimator, DC brick, Fulltone Fatboost III, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Barber Tone Press, Barber DDSS, Budda wah, Planet Waves Strobe tuner
Old 10-31-2013, 09:36 AM

guitars:

i have 4 electrics, one being built, 2 basses, and 2 acoustic guitars. not as many as i want, but as many as i need right now. all of my electrics are pure custom, or in the case of my carvin, has been well customized.

1. Williams Custom
2. '84 Carvin DC200K
3. '77 Ibanez Artist 2618
4. USACG custom strat
5. Carvin LB70 bass
6. 2000 Taylor 414

not pictured: Seagull Artist Mosiac, Ibanez Mikro short scale bass, carvin bass
Old 10-31-2013, 09:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by batsbrew View Post
my current setup:
Yamaha DG stomp in the fx loop of the boogie.
That's a great idea - I have one of those sitting on a shelf, and it never occurred to me to use it like that. I do recall mine being a little noisy, however - do you have that issue with yours?
Cordoba Stage

Old 10-31-2013, 10:28 AM

eatswodo

no, mine is really quiet.

i bypass all the modeling stuff....

and only use the effects.

and in fact, only use the tape delay, and the reverb.
LOL

kinda overkill for what it's actually capable of, to only use the two fx, but that's what sounds good about it to me.

i set the master level at 8, and find UNITY on all the other tone controls, which on my particular setup, happens to be about 4.

then, i match the output with unity on the send/return of my boogie fx loop.

i don't add any level, just try to match it.

that works for me.

i use it live that way, but when i record, i shift into purist mode: i bypass everything except my amp and maybe one or two pedals.
Old 10-31-2013, 11:55 AM
Charter Member

Thanks - I've always loved the DG-Stomp. Had one years ago, sold it and bought a Magic Stomp instead - always regretted that.

I chanced upon one on eBay a couple of years ago, in great condition, and snapped it up.

One of these days, I'll give it a try the same way that you have it set up. I don't expect it will be better than the Flashback and Hall of Fame currently sitting in the effects loop, but it will be an interesting experiment.
Cordoba Stage

Old 11-01-2013, 08:33 AM

flashback would be one of my first alternative choices.

but there is something nice and smooth about the yamaha's tape delay emulation.

i'd have to compare them side by side....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars